• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would You Purchase SSB4 If There Was No Adventure Mode? See First Post

Would You Purchase SSB4 If There Was No Adventure Mode?

• Yes, who needs Adventure Mode?

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Yes.

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Adventure Mode is a must.

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Honestly... I don't actually love the trophy feature, in the first place, ha. I always see the 300 hundred trophies and think "wow, look at all those models and all that effort that could have been put into making the actual game better."
You are aware that those particular efforts don't necessarily have to replace work that improve gameplay? I don't think it's the same group of people who make the trophies that decide how the gameplay should be carried out...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You are aware that those particular efforts don't necessarily have to replace work that improve gameplay? I don't think it's the same group of people who make the trophies that decide how the gameplay should be carried out...

They're all paid from the same source, though, so instead of funding Nintendo researchers they could have funded people to, say, create alternate costumes. When I say "making the actual game better" I just mean that, overall, there are tons of other things that benefit user experience more than a trophy gallery.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
They're all paid from the same source, though, so instead of funding Nintendo researchers they could have funded people to, say, create alternate costumes. When I say "making the actual game better" I just mean that, overall, there are tons of other things that benefit user experience more than a trophy gallery.
I see your point. Alternate costumes (for instance) would definitely have been a better investment.

Some trophies seem unnecessary to me (3 trophies per playable character in Melee, trophy for every item, the pokémon trophies etc.)

But I think overall the trophies are appreciated by the mass, me included. They can provide some interesting information as well as nice models from the different games.

I don't know where I stand when it comes to the gimmick of "catching" trophies in the adventure mode in Brawl...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I see your point. Alternate costumes (for instance) would definitely have been a better investment.

Some trophies seem unnecessary to me (3 trophies per playable character in Melee, trophy for every item, the pokémon trophies etc.)

But I think overall the trophies are appreciated by the mass, me included. They can provide some interesting information as well as nice models from the different games.

I don't know where I stand when it comes to the gimmick of "catching" trophies in the adventure mode in Brawl...

Yeah, I can say that I appreciate them as well... I mean, I've probably looked through most of them and read the descriptions. I appreciate the ones that commemorate characters/franchises that aren't otherwise shown in Smash most of all.

It really just is that when I actually think about the opportunity cost of making them I get a little sad.

But anyway, back to the thread topic-- I think that someone could reasonably create a series of events lines instead of having an Epic Story mode and I'd feel fine about it. The SSE was fun to think about, but not very fun to play. I'm glad it had co-op, though, that certainly made it better since, at its heart, Smash is a multiplayer game.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
The Adventure Mode could really benefit from a better story that merges the different game series in a better way.

Nintendo should make a better Adventure Mode, because I think they can execute it well and it would contribute to a better overall gaming experience. However, Single Player isn't what Smash is about, but rather being a nice bonus that one can enjoy at times...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Would still buy it, but it would be a huge step back from the progress that Melee and Brawl made in the Single Player department and a general step back in quality of the game overall.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I didn't hate the Adventure Mode in Brawl, and if done a little differently I could see enjoying it a lot, but that's not why I buy Smash. My favourite part of the SSE in Brawl were the cutscenes, which is a little sad. :ohwell:

I'd honestly be set with just the Vs. mode, as long as the characters and stages were well done. I'd miss unlocking stuff though, I never unlock characters by playing x amount of matches. ;)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I didn't hate the Adventure Mode in Brawl, and if done a little differently I could see enjoying it a lot, but that's not why I buy Smash. My favourite part of the SSE in Brawl were the cutscenes, which is a little sad. :ohwell:

I'd honestly be set with just the Vs. mode, as long as the characters and stages were well done. I'd miss unlocking stuff though, I never unlock characters by playing x amount of matches. ;)
XD you aint alone on that one trust me...best thing about SSE to me were the cutscenes and they felew actualy fights...evil mario and giant posssed diddy...(so ********...

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Oh yeah, I almost forgot all about the trophy stand feature. I managed to get all the boss trophies in SSE.. including Tabuu! :chuckle: The point is, though, the adventure mode isn't a MUST. The new smash bros. game will survive without it. Personally, I'd rather them introduce a new mode concept instead of bringing back adventure mode.
To be honest, I don't there are main ideas for new mode concepts. They can surely expand the adventure mode though and make it more interesting and has multiple goals in them. Of course, the multiplayer development has first priority, but sometimes you want to go through the adventure mode for just the heck of it, or maybe you get bored with regular multiplayer and want to complete adventure mode on intense difficulty with a friend. Although adventure mode is a huge plus, I'd still buy SSB4 even though it lacks an adventure mode. However, I'd still like to see an even better adventure mode than SSE and to expand the story with genuine ideas instead of making us repeat the whole thing in the end.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ima do the story mode first though to get it out the way...well im obviously do a ''few'' versus matches first and for most...lol at ''few'' i probly end up playing Vs against a CPU for 5+ hours getting the feel of the game etc.

Omg...seriously getting to hyped need to calm down....

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I don't there are main ideas for new mode concepts. They can surely expand the adventure mode though and make it more interesting and has multiple goals in them. Of course, the multiplayer development has first priority, but sometimes you want to go through the adventure mode for just the heck of it, or maybe you get bored with regular multiplayer and want to complete adventure mode on intense difficulty with a friend. Although adventure mode is a huge plus, I'd still buy SSB4 even though it lacks an adventure mode. However, I'd still like to see an even better adventure mode than SSE and to expand the story with genuine ideas instead of making us repeat the whole thing in the end.
I agree. Personally I think that if they do bring back adventure mode, at least give the characters some backstories. From what I heard, they're doing that in the Injustice games' story mode so why not the new Smash Bros. game? Of course, though, that could easily ruin the game if they do it wrong. I could only imagine how each character's story will follow through with eachother's story especially with the multiplayer feature involved... :idea:

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I agree. Personally I think that if they do bring back adventure mode, at least give the characters some backstories. From what I heard, they're doing that in the Injustice games' story mode so why not the new Smash Bros. game? Of course, though, that could easily ruin the game if they do it wrong. I could only imagine how each character's story will follow through with eachother's story especially with the multiplayer feature involved... :idea:
Hopefully we'll get a genuine and an interesting adventure mode. I have high hopes that Namco will enhance the adventure mode :grin:

Top Bottom