• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you like it if PT's Pokemon was Separate Characters?

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Not really. If fatigue and switching on death were removed, then the team style would suffer severely. If both were removed, then Pokemon Trainer would transform into a "Use the best Pokemon in the match-up only." It would make counter-picking the Pokemon Trainer player more difficult (At-least, if they learned to use all three well) but I find it unlikely that switching within a match would happen often. You're correct on the fact that the current application just makes the style too forced, though. I think a less aggresive style of fatigue (No stamina timer) is a step in the right direction.
The switching style would not suffer. Removing fatigue incurs NO PENALTIES whatsoever to the current style. If you took a recorded match of the current Pokemon Trainer and recreated it blow for blow, frame for frame, without fatigue, the end result would be virtually identical, assuming the player still switched out at the "correct" time.

The counter style would improve greatly, but the switching style would be unchanged. The only reason it seems (to you at least) that the switching style would be penalized is that it was the less efficient style to begin with. Unless it's for a specific reason (counterpicking!) switching has no real benefit, it's just a gimmick. It's true that since the switching style has no real merits of it's own, the counter style would naturally take over, but you can't really blame that on fatigue, it's just that with fatigue switching is the "lesser of the two evils", but that doesn't mean having fatigue makes it somehow "better", it just makes the counter style worse.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Right.

Anyway, at one time I wished that each Pokemon had an individual percentage that they retained when they switched out. No stamina, and the Pokemon is taken out of rotation when knocked out. That would be much more similar to a real Pokemon Trainer in the games. I 'dunknow how gimping that would be, but I just want to try it once, I guess.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Right.

Anyway, at one time I wished that each Pokemon had an individual percentage that they retained when they switched out. No stamina, and the Pokemon is taken out of rotation when knocked out. That would be much more similar to a real Pokemon Trainer in the games. I 'dunknow how gimping that would be, but I just want to try it once, I guess.
What do you mean taken out of rotation? Do you still lose a stock? Or do you mean you have to kill them all just to get one stock off? Or do you mean the Pokemon is out of the match permanently (what happens when you have more than 3 stock)?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
*You lose a stock each time any of them is knocked out.

*They're out of the match until you white out, in which case all three Pokemon are restored.

Top Bottom