• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would other Melee stages (or 64 stages) be banned in Brawl?

Timic83

Smash Ace
Moorabbin/Hampton East, Melbourne, Australia
The representations of Melee stages in Brawl are fairly faithful to the original stages, there have been some changes, some for the better (non random klaptrap, swimming on japes) some for the worse (gay ps1 ledges). Nintendo put in a Melee stage representing every game series from SSB64, yet I often hear that Nintendo "made bad decisions" when putting in stages. So let's look at the stages that weren't in Brawl, and how legal they would be.

Stages that were classified as "the second" stage from one of SSB64 ten series, not put into Brawl. (eg Brinstar and Brinstar Depths, Great Bay and Temple)

Yoshi Story would probably be a great stage if the blastlines were still small, and the cloud was still timed. I can see it bringing quicker kills vertically and horizontally, yet with characters being bigger in Brawl it would certainly feel cramped.

The same ideas can be applied to Fountain, yet the blastlines would be bigger and closer to a normal Brawl stage. The very low platforms probably would give new strategies for characters.

Brinstar Depths would probably be banned again, if you think Jiggs is bad there in Melee try MK. If MK was banned it probably wouldn't be so bad due to the slower gameplay of Brawl.

Pokefloats is very different to RC, yet I could see the stage working in Brawl. There are less walls and walkoffs compared to RC, yet I think Metaknight would **** too much here, especially if the blastlines are still small.

While you could argue that the bullet bills on Peach's Castle (Melee) would interrupt chaingrabs from Dedede, you can't really camp out a Dedede until a Bullet Bill appears like you can camp out a wall transformation.

Mute City would honestly be an amazing stage that BPC would make love to. I can see it fitting with Brawl so much better than it ever did with Melee, essentially a much better PTAD, as long as the cars were still weak (yet the cars are so easy to see in Mute so it isn't much of an issue.)

Fourside didn't really work in Melee. There really isn't a stage like this in Brawl that has a tower setup (that would **** Ness's recovery, like Saffron from 64). Though the wall would probably nullify any chance the stage had of being legal.

Kongo Jungle (Melee)... I don't think it would be so bad. I don't think it's good in Melee due to how bad recoveries and ledge grabbing is, it would be much easier to recover in Brawl. I think the klaptrap getting in the barrel would still be an issue.

Venom... I don't really know what to think. Snake could probably camp well. I didn't play it much in Melee so I don't even really know why it's banned in that.

Great Bay... I've always thought this stage would be great in Brawl (a hell of a lot better than Hyrule) because I'VE HEARD Metaknight does bad in water. Realistically though, I don't know how good it would be, even if you couldn't swim like in Melee. Walkoff/Swimoff probably wouldn't be too bad because you can't grab in water, yet I can't help but think the up throw into the ceiling would be too powerful (much like Skyworld's ceiling spiking).

Other Melee Stages

Icicle Mountain... though I've heard DECENT arguments for Rumble Falls, I don't think they apply on a stage that also goes down, especially since Brawl is so floaty, it would be hard to fall quickly.

Flatzone. Don't see this being good, it's just a less gay version of Flatzone 2. The tools would probably be even stronger. Now if you could pick up the tools and throw them to stop walkoff camping... I'm going off topic.

Mushroom Kingdom 1 (Melee) has the same problems with walkoff camping as Eldin. Banned imo.

Mushroom Kingdom 2's legality arguments always remind me of Distant Planet, in that the stage pushes walkoff campers inwards (Birdo), and gives projectiles (Eggs). I could see this working in a liberal ruleset.

Battlefield (Melee) ledges suck, yet in Brawl it wouldn't really matter.

Final Destination (Melee) ledges rock, end of story... BF and FD are already in Brawl.

Smash 64 stages

Mushroom Kingdom (64)... see Mushroom Kingdom (Melee). Also Dedede.

Dreamland would be more like it's 64 counterpart, as in Brawl wind blows you in midair like it did in 64. This wouldn't be too bad, hopefully the wind wouldn't push people off the stage, it doesn't in Melee. Blastlines... no idea how they would be, they were big in Melee, medium in 64, anything can happen really.

Yoshi Story (64) was banned in 64, banned in Melee and I can't honestly see it being legal in Brawl... imagine MK on the rightmost cloud again someone without projectiles.

Congo Jungle (64) would provide MK sharking, yet the barrel could easily help bad recoveries. If the barrel was on camera at all times (my main dislike about the stage in Melee and 64) and was less random (is it random?) it would be pretty good.

Peach's Castle (64) would be good if the bumper was 64 style and not Brawl, and the hills on the left and right of the stage would be techable unlike 64, leading to much longer lives.

Hyrule Castle... I don't know how this would work. After playing it in PM it didn't seem too bad, it would probably have tornadoes though, hopefully they wouldn't be very strong... Dedede would **** here though.

Sector Z hopefully wouldn't be like Corneria (Brawl), and have proper knockback on lasers, I think the fin would probably still be too bad, keeping this stage banned.

Saffron would be fun, Pokemon disrupt chaingrabs, yet repeated spiking in tower sections would probably be very strong.

Planet Zebes is pretty much Brinstar with stronger acid and no mucoids/logs. The stage is fairly big in 64, if the lava didn't combo/kill like in 64 and was more like Brinstar lava the stage wold be good.

---

DISCUSS! (Because stages that didn't make it are relevant 3 years after the game came out)

Top Bottom