• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would like to ask for some pointers before a tourney.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Now, theres going to be a small tourney around here in a couple days, just a buncha friends in a local gaming center. I anounced I was going to enter with Bowser, because I'm pretty much the only Bowser player in this city (Chetumal, its hidden somewere in Mexico, don't bother asking). Now, I'm not delusional in thinking that Bowser is tournament winning material, but the people i'm playing against are no pros. They dont L cancel or wavedash, so you can imagine. (My friends dont speak english, so they can't come to places like these to learn up on Smash... while I do... does that make me a cheater?.. maybe.)

So, since they're just average players, I believe i can win fairly consistently against them, while i'm just slightly above average with boozer. I l-cancel most of the time, dont bother much with wavedashing, just waveland sometimes to fall off ledges in order to eliminate my lag.

Now, to the point. There is a matchup I'm worried about, and I'd like to hear you out on the best aproach possible.

Here's the scenario: I'll mos likely face in the finals or semi finals, a rather good peach player, and he likes to spotdodge into a downsmash whenever i aproach. What i do here is Dair so the blastwave of the ground impact pushes him away so he cant downsmash. However, this does little damage and isnt really a punishment. Is there anything beter i can do about this?. Also, what air moves do i have that outprioritize peach? most of the time is spent in aerial battles as i try to kill that bugger and he just floats back to the stage from a height i cant reach to edgeguard.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Bowser's d-air is horrible..even I know that, f-air is a much better punisher.

F-air is basicly a smash in air lol..

Wheres gimpy and kevin when you need them >.<...

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
The D-air is good because it has a set-knockback. You can knock people off the edge at a low percentage while you jump back while holding onto the ledge. After you knock a Fox off with D-air you can just flame his *** to the pits of hell.

So who do you prefer, Batman or Bowser?

Gojira

Smash Lord
uhh.....

Empty short hops to trick a Downsmash then punish during it.

If you have flame cancel you can cancel the flame wich will keep any downsmash from happening

Time your kk carefully.

Just mix it up. If a peach player does nothing but spams that then they should not win at all.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Bowser's d-air is horrible..even I know that, f-air is a much better punisher.

F-air is basicly a smash in air lol..

Wheres gimpy and kevin when you need them >.<...
You are not taking into consideration the scenario I proposed. A Fair isn't very good on a spotdodging enemy, and even if i lcancel it, im left wide open next to a peach, wich usually means bad news.

This is why i resort to Dair, it lasts long enough to hit my oponent even after its dodge animation finishes, and pushes him away, so he cannot counterattack right away.

i'll try the shorthops. Not too sure about using flame.

Thanks for the replies so far people.

Edit: Well the tournament was held an I didnt do very well. Terrible judgement call on my part.

Lets just say that no matter how newbie your oponents are, going against two samus and a mario on final destination, is never a good idea. I was missile spammed to death from both sides.

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
whoa was this a ffa tournament? cuz that changes a lot. bowser is just terrible in ffas.

but another thing i woulda suggested vs. that peach is maybe a dash canceled fsmash. i'm pretty sure you'd be out of range of the dsmash and still be able to hit with your fsmash if you space it right.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Dash canceled Fsmash? thats something i havent heard of... Could i bother you to link me to a tutorial on how that is done?

SilentFox12345

Smash Cadet
Basically you're going to play strategically. Don't use dair, it sucks. Your primary air moves will be fair and bair. Since Peach doesn't die too often off the sides, I would recommend utilt and uair as well. up-b will work here as well. If he always spotdoges, you could try running up to him and grabbing him in his lag into an uthrow, leading to combo possibilities. Also >B will work for you here as well if you're coming down on him. Best of luck, and remember, even if you lose, you're still in second!

Gojira

Smash Lord
Basically you're going to play strategically. Don't use dair, it sucks. Your primary air moves will be fair and bair. Since Peach doesn't die too often off the sides, I would recommend utilt and uair as well. up-b will work here as well. If he always spotdoges, you could try running up to him and grabbing him in his lag into an uthrow, leading to combo possibilities. Also >B will work for you here as well if you're coming down on him. Best of luck, and remember, even if you lose, you're still in second!
uair vs peach.....good luck

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Ill keep that in mind on my regular bowser playing. I barely find the oportunites to Utilt, i mean, im sure the chances are there, but i'm so used to shffl fairs that I dont even notice.

SilentFox12345

Smash Cadet
Ill keep that in mind on my regular bowser playing. I barely find the oportunites to Utilt, i mean, im sure the chances are there, but i'm so used to shffl fairs that I dont even notice.
Ok, but if the enemy begins to mindgame you, you know what moves to switch to.

Top Bottom