• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would giving MK the ability to clank with projectiles make him OP?

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Refer to title. I just played a game against a bacon-spamming G&W and, while I know there are ways around projectiles, I feel like they're a massive problem for MK because he can't clank with them. I don't consider MK to be one of my best characters, but I feel like he needs some way to deal with projectile abuse. Am I totally wrong?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Most top level players don't even clank pills in Melee, they just power shield. I would leave MK alone how he is in terms of projectile weaknesses

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
I feel like having certain aerials like fair do that would be good, I don't think it would be game changing like you're describing though.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I wouldn't be against it, but it would depend on what could clank.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I was thinking nair because it covers his whole body and feels like it should clank. Like, that was really the only move I was even considering about this.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
For nair I feel like it could be good for dealing with Mario's fireballs, but the hitstun from the clank would still give Mario openings like against Marth.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
For nair I feel like it could be good for dealing with Mario's fireballs, but the hitstun from the clank would still give Mario openings like against Marth.
I feel like it'd be better to possibly give Mario a slight opening by clanking with fireballs instead of getting crippled by fireball pressure and having one option against it (powershielding).

I dunno, I'm still reeling from my game against that G&W. What can MK even do about the bacon? It's everywhere, and powershielding it is pointless because it only gets rid of one of them (and you have to be perfect about it). I either really don't know what to do against it (which is totally true lol) or MK needs some way to clank with them, and I feel like nair would be the perfect way to break through.

Again, I have no idea if this would even be necessary because I don't have too much MK experience. :/

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Well yeah obviously it would be better than not being able to clank at all, but that point is just my reasoning for why it wouldn't necessarily be OP, I would be for it to test it out though, it can't case much harm I don't think.

To be honest, for the bacon I just run away. G&W can't advance with it like Mario, so once he stops then you have an opening, you just have to be patient. I have played really good G&Ws that can just apply perfect bacon pressure though lol

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I think it might just be G&W. The Olimar matchup is really hard for me too, especially against the bacon. The bacon snuffs out Pikmin Throw, and d-tilt snuffs out everything else.

I'll have to try being more patient as MK though. I always think of him as crazy rushdown simply because of his attack and movement speed, but that's really not the right way to go about it. I guess I just have to work on the matchup.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Mastery of platforms
It's the pref anti projectile tool, unless it's mario.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Well, see that's what I'm talking about. Platform mastery is ideal, but I think giving nair clanking ability wouldn't overpower him, but would fill the hole in one of MK's biggest weaknesses right now.

Honestly, I think his moveset is outsanding right now. Giving nair clanking powers would be the only change I'd make to him. Everything else seems balanced (maybe his recovery is a little too good, but even that's not really something I mind).

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys just want buffs so you have no need to improve in your characters weaknesses. Just adapt guys really.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this statement applies to current Olimar or ICs lol
No one has even attempted to push their metagame. Only Olimar player that I've met that is good is Pink Fresh. He doesn't even main that characters. No mercy step it up.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
SS.

There's a reason top players don't play either of those characters ever though.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
SS.

There's a reason top players don't play either of those characters ever though.
Most top level players play melee too, they just use what they know to win. If SS is good with Olimar why is not placing high? I think Olimar is a great character. Getting tired of the buffing

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
SS doesn't travel as much as K9 or Pink Fresh but he does place highly in every tournament he's entered; He placed top 8 at LTC2, beating more notable players than any Olimar has.

Thor

Smash Champion
I feel like it'd be better to possibly give Mario a slight opening by clanking with fireballs instead of getting crippled by fireball pressure and having one option against it (powershielding).

I dunno, I'm still reeling from my game against that G&W. What can MK even do about the bacon? It's everywhere, and powershielding it is pointless because it only gets rid of one of them (and you have to be perfect about it). I either really don't know what to do against it (which is totally true lol) or MK needs some way to clank with them, and I feel like nair would be the perfect way to break through.

Again, I have no idea if this would even be necessary because I don't have too much MK experience. :/
Could you just fly up high enough and dair diagonally toward GnW through them?

Do they clank out nado? Drill rush?

If he was doing SH bacon this won't work (probably) but you make it sound like GnW was just standing there throwing bacon, and if that's true, I'd THINK these would be three ways to deal with it.

Thor

Smash Champion
Meta Knight's moves cannot clank at all, with the exception of dash attack.
When did they make nado and drill rush transcendent? They were clankable (they were not transcendent) in Brawl [which is why Peach turnips were not very helpful against tornado]. Is the changelist I was looking at for MK's moveset wrong then? It made no mention of this.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I think Olimar is a great character. Getting tired of the buffing
I've actually said a good number of times on the Olimar boards that I don't think he needs major buffs. If his up-b was more consistent (or something else like a rocket that wasn't a tether determined by number of Pikmin), his f-smash was better, Pikmin were plucked in a set order (or Yellows were slightly buffed) and his grab followed the same rules as every other character in the game, he'd be fine. Oli's got some big problems.

MK, not so much. I think MK's near perfect honestly, I was just wondering why he doesn't have any move to deal with projectiles. I mean, he's got speed, but it just doesn't make sense to me that nair doesn't clank. It just looks weird.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
You've never played or watch Kirby stuff. It's explained in the anime that his sword is transcended that it can like cut the galaxy in half LOL OP. Olimar stuff stay on their boards only nerfs for MK is Dcape. Which is getting nerfed so all is well

Ahenobarbus

Smash Cadet
I made a post in the matchup thread about some stuff MK has against G&W. None of it really addresses your specific problem with the bacon though. Still, should be helpful.

Your best bet is probably to dash in when he short hops and either get behind him and punish the baconing or hit him before it comes out. If he's truly spamming, that'll work.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I made a post in the matchup thread about some stuff MK has against G&W. None of it really addresses your specific problem with the bacon though. Still, should be helpful.

Your best bet is probably to dash in when he short hops and either get behind him and punish the baconing or hit him before it comes out. If he's truly spamming, that'll work.
That is what I do against spamming Mario's, run under them and full hop nair. It doesn't need clanks he NEEDS that weakness that is what keeps him balanced.

Top Bottom