• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Working on a guide for choosing a main and need your help!

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Hello there!

With the Smash scene growing and many more new players still to come, I though I would make a little guide highlighting each characters strengths and specialties, to help anyone take their first step into competitive Smash, or for anyone contemplating picking up another to their personal roster!

The main dilemma I have is I don't main EVERYONE in P:M, nor am I a self-proclaimed Smash genius. So, I thought I'd ask you guys, the experts to your respective mains! If you could help me out by filling out a few lines of info for me, I'll be collecting the data and responses during the week and compiling them. Once it's all collected, I'll release the guide (somewhere on the boards, not sure yet...). So if you could take a few minutes to help, I would really appreciate it!

Pros: Strengths and advantages of this character!

Cons: Weaknesses and disadvantages!

Character Specifics to Learn: Techniques exclusive to only this character (example: Squirtle's shell abilities)

Similar To: Characters that play similar to this one or have a similar strategy.

Secondaries that Compliment: A secondary character that covers certain weaknesses the main has.

(Optional) Best video example of this character in action.

Cheers!

(Sorry if you see this thread posted in multiple character forums, I find the best way to gather info is to ask directly!)

Y-L

Smash Champion
Pros: incredibly strong and lots of kill potential. Huge disjoint. Good recovery that's difficult to punish and has mixups. Good aerial mobility and can maneuver quickly across stage. Has exceptional edgeguarding skills.

Cons: Terrible against projectiles and characters that can zone. No good OoS options besides WD. Weight makes him pretty comboable.

Character specifics to learn: Quickdraw shenanigans -- jc grab out of qd, jc usmash out of qd, wd out of qd, aerials and RAR aerials out of qd.

Similar to: Kind of a mix of Marth and Ganon

Secondaries that compliment: Fast projectile characters -- spacies, lucas, tink ect.

Best video example of character in action: Here's me and NWRL in some ike dittos

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Pros:
*Top Level Kill Power and Punish Game
*Possibly Largest Disjoint in the game
*Strong Off-Stage Edgeguarding tools
*Strong Bursts of Mobility in air and ground, only outmatched by someone like Marth or Fox
*Far Reaching, Difficult to Gimp Recovery
*Built-in Mix-ups with Quickdraw
*Powerful Tech Chasing and DI Mix-Ups with all his throws.

Cons:
*No Lingering Hitboxes
*Require precision to beat projectiles
*Lacking in Out of Shield options
*Average Fall Speed and Above Average Weight gets Ike combo'd easily, along with lacking any significant tools to escape combos

Character Specifics:
*Quickdraw Jump-Canceling
-Leads into JC Grab, JC Up-Smash, and Wavedashing; as well as Reverse Aerial Rushes of all these techniques
-Also, Ike is able to Wall Jump when using Quickdraw
*Dash-Attack Cancelled Up-Smash

Similar Characters:
Roy/Marth - Strong Disjoint, High(er) Mobility characters who focus on strong Punish Games. Suffers from a lot of the same weaknesses of Ike
Ganondorf - Punish Oriented character with built-in Mix-ups with Flame Choke and Warlock Kick. Suffers from similar weaknesses as Ike.
Metaknight - Has good Tech Chasing and Edgeguarding tools with added disjoint.

Secondary Picks:
*Characters who have the qualities Ike lacks are good picks, aka: have Lingering Hitboxes and Out of Shield options

Example Video:

Commander

Smash Ace
Pros:
*Average Fall Speed and Above Average Weight gets Ike combo'd easily, along with lacking any significant tools to escape combos
Average Fall Speed isn't true at all. He has a very slightly slower fall speed than Marth, but his fast fall is as fast as Roy's. That is a massive shift in his fall speed that I don't think any other character approaches. He also has more aerial mobility than both Marth and Roy so he can take greater advantage of his changing speed than those two can.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Average Fall Speed isn't true at all. He has a very slightly slower fall speed than Marth, but his fast fall is as fast as Roy's. That is a massive shift in his fall speed that I don't think any other character approaches. He also has more aerial mobility than both Marth and Roy so he can take greater advantage of his changing speed than those two can.
I'd say the regular Fall Speed is the most important factor to his getting combo'd over Fast Falling or Aerial Mobility though, which is why I say 'Average'. Marth Fall Speed is pretty average, right?

Though, there could be a point for having his Fast Fall being really good as a pro.

Commander

Smash Ace
I'd say the regular Fall Speed is the most important factor to his getting combo'd over Fast Falling or Aerial Mobility though, which is why I say 'Average'. Marth Fall Speed is pretty average, right?

Though, there could be a point for having his Fast Fall being really good as a pro.
Marth speed is on the floaty side of fall speeds. I've gotten out of combos just by fast falling when the opponent wasn't ready so I feel it is an important note.

Top Bottom