• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Working on a guide for choosing a main and need your help!

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Hello there!

With the Smash scene growing and many more new players still to come, I though I would make a little guide highlighting each characters strengths and specialties, to help anyone take their first step into competitive Smash, or for anyone contemplating picking up another to their personal roster!

The main dilemma I have is I don't main EVERYONE in P:M, nor am I a self-proclaimed Smash genius. So, I thought I'd ask you guys, the experts to your respective mains! If you could help me out by filling out a few lines of info for me, I'll be collecting the data and responses during the week and compiling them. Once it's all collected, I'll release the guide (somewhere on the boards, not sure yet...). So if you could take a few minutes to help, I would really appreciate it!

Pros: Strengths and advantages of this character!

Cons: Weaknesses and disadvantages!

Character Specifics to Learn: Techniques exclusive to only this character (example: Squirtle's shell abilities)

Similar To: Characters that play similar to this one or have a similar strategy.

Secondaries that Compliment: A secondary character that covers certain weaknesses the main has.

(Optional) Best video example of this character in action.

Cheers!

(Sorry if you see this thread posted in multiple character forums, I find the best way to gather info is to ask directly!)

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Pros: Hits hard, easy to play, very fun and cool

Cons: Slow, easy to gimp, and bad in general

Character specifics: Dash Attack Cancelled Up-Smash (DACUS), horizontal wavelanding, wizard's foot edge cancel

Similar to: Captain Falcon, Charizard

Character to cover weaknesses: Anyone fast, I guess. Anyone remotely good

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Pros: Super hard hitting, great punishes, flame choke makes great tech chases, manliest character in game.

Cons: If you don't L-cancel and waveland Ganon seems REALLY slow due to long recoveries on his attacks. Neutral B is basically useless. Has a hard time with projectiles.

Character Specifics to Learn: Nothing extremely unique, just wavelanding and l-canceling.

Similar To: DK, Falcon

Secondaries that Compliment: Swordsmen, anyone who can deal with projectiles or fast characters well.

...not a bad character in Project M.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Pros: easy to learn, long reach, powerful moves, good mixup potential, extremely strong punitions, 2 command grab moves, lots of swag

Cons: low mobility, long cooldowns make him a risky character, bad OOS game, awful grab range, doesn't have safe pokes, relies a lot on baiting and mixups.

Character Specifics to Learn: Air to ground Flame Choke, dacus and second jump renewal, rest is just general tech skill (L cancel, wavelanding, wavedashing, autocanceling, edge canceling)

Similar To: Bowser.

Secondaries that Compliment: anyone. 75% of the roster is good in this game.

On a side note: you should keep that project but ditch the idea of helping people choose a main. What I mean is that's it's a very good idea to have a presentation of the whole cast so that new players can have an idea on who to try, but ultimately choosing a main or not is a personal matter. And people who need help to pick a main usually need help in other domains if you see what I mean.

Just my 2 cents.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
he has two solid pokes in ftilt and dtilt, tho. at least in terms of ground-ground encounters.

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
Pros: easy to play, great at killing, heavy, flame choke tech chases, quick jab, decent range, free hit off of down throw

Cons: easy to combo, rather slow, punishable moves, rather short grab range, bad out of shield options, no projectiles

Character specifics: DACUS, shhfl uair, flame choke tech chase, safe wizard's foot (possibly platform canceled)

Similar to: Captain Falcon (of course), Kong Lord

Secondaries: No clue. Possibly someone good at dealing with or countering projectiles, like Link.

Top Bottom