• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Working Jabs into My Game?

cepp1028

Smash Rookie
I've been maining doc for about a year now. After going through the Doc vs the World(of Nintendo) guide I noticed that one of the tips is working jab and jab-jab into your game.

What are some of the best ways to do this?

When to Jab-Dsmash vs Jab-Grab?

Do I always wavedash into a jab, or are there better ways to set up a jab?

Any and all advice appreciated

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Good question!
I also want to know. Obviously you probably want to dash -> JC grab if you hit their shield (or mindgame them and wait but I have a feeling that will get you punished), but if you get the first jab the dsmash is probably guarenteed

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
It's a fast move. It interrupts thing. so like
jab on shield to catch things (be careful with that)
jab to reset
jab to interrupt slower moves/movement -> grab/dsmash whatever

whether or not you should grab or dsmash depends on their character, percent and where they are. you under a platform by the edge? well you probably wanna fthrow or dsmash cause you want them off the stage and not on that platform. you in the middle of stadium? grab that dude if you can chainthrow or get more damage off dthrow/upthrow -> whatever than from just a raw dsmash. Did you jab a fast-faller by surprise? If you know he don't tech, grab and quick fthrow and you might get a free fair. And sometimes you gotta throw in the triple jab to mix 'em up. Know your followups vs whatever character you're against and your opponents' habits and think of it as a puzzle to optimize either damage or position/your momentum.

Last edited:

jihaeng29

Smash Rookie
Are jab-grab and jab-dsmash true combos on certain characters at different percentages? If so, which are the notable ones? I'm having trouble figuring out whether I'm trying it on wrong characters/percentages or if I'm too slow with the grab/dsmash.

The general consensus is you are not going to get any of that information because it is simply too variable to try remembering unless someone sits down and does the work.

Overall, the important things to note are simply the fact that jab is a rather decent disruptor. Its often times not guaranteed into anything, but it can disrupt people for long enough to try getting off something. However, some people will simply not get phased by it either by reacting quickly or simply being lucky at what button they press (like shield) to avoid being hit by the next thing. It will always carry a risk associated with it. Using stuff like say Jab grab or jab dsmash are more likely to work because it gets around common reactions such as shield or a person being too slow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom