• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolfs Reflector, An In Depth Guide

xX'Mitsurugi'Xx

Smash Ace
This is a very nice guide, it hits most of the high points of wolf's reflector. Marking it as a counter is well stated. As a dedicated wolf player, I've for the most part fully integrated the reflector into my game. I reflect 65% of attacks as opposed to blocking them. Correct reflector use makes any simi- and/or pro wolf. This is why wolf is my trumph card against the "stronger" chars, as we'll call them, such as; IC, Mr.G&W, DDD and the like.

Gakuun

Smash Rookie
don't get me wrong the reflector is an awesome skill but i still think there are other moves to get out of a juggle or ledgecamp or approach

i do use it to get out of a juggle just to throw someone off that continuously tries to, but using upB downward diagonal is alot faster and relies less on timing

personally i don't ledgecamp cuz its kinda dishonorable (seriously i don't judge others about this i just don't like doing it :p) but jumping off and meteor smashings a diff story :) and is funny as hell

Fsmash has crazy range and upB drags everyone within range into it as well, i can't see hop+reflector as a better approach
btw are there more invincibily frames in the reflector activating or arial dodge?

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
don't get me wrong the reflector is an awesome skill but i still think there are other moves to get out of a juggle or ledgecamp or approach

i do use it to get out of a juggle just to throw someone off that continuously tries to, but using upB downward diagonal is alot faster and relies less on timing

personally i don't ledgecamp cuz its kinda dishonorable (seriously i don't judge others about this i just don't like doing it :p) but jumping off and meteor smashings a diff story :) and is funny as hell

Fsmash has crazy range and upB drags everyone within range into it as well, i can't see hop+reflector as a better approach
btw are there more invincibily frames in the reflector activating or arial dodge?
Are you new to playing wolf? Because all that you said is going to be your main reason in not becoming a better wolf by impliminting your reflector game into it, even if it's the tiniest bit. Never use Up B because in a real match against a good player, if you try that, your screwed and because of that become easily punished. THe fact that putting the reflector in your game allows you to mix-up approaches instead the same old ones which then comes down to predictablity. IF any thing, please refer to the "Essence Of Wolf" guide before you really say any of this.

Gakuun

Smash Rookie
Are you new to playing wolf? Because all that you said is going to be your main reason in not becoming a better wolf by impliminting your reflector game into it, even if it's the tiniest bit. Never use Up B because in a real match against a good player, if you try that, your screwed and because of that become easily punished. THe fact that putting the reflector in your game allows you to mix-up approaches instead the same old ones which then comes down to predictablity. IF any thing, please refer to the "Essence Of Wolf" guide before you really say any of this.
no i've actually played wolf for a while just havn't been on these forums long, and my game is fine, rarely lose at all. I guess i was just saying i don't preff to recover from aerials w/ reflector. But yeah now i see what u mean how its used for mixing up approaches.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
no i've actually played wolf for a while just havn't been on these forums long, and my game is fine, rarely lose at all. I guess i was just saying i don't preff to recover from aerials w/ reflector. But yeah now i see what u mean how its used for mixing up approaches.
well hopefully I didnt read your post wrong or anything, but thats all I was trying to get across. Hope i didn't come off as "harsh".

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Btw I didn't think this was worth mentioning until Kos said he didn't know this was true. You can reflect snake's upsmash, it doesn't change the trajectory but it will pass through you and become your own, meaning if it hits snake it blows him up. Its always fun to hit snake with his on dash attack thing. Also if you grab a snake mid recovery don't hit any buttons at all and he'll fall to his death.

BluB0mber

Smash Rookie
Nice guide... definitely a refreshing touch up.

snadmonkey,

does the same idea apply for the c4 should you "reflect" it? ... I believe I heard of this somewhere.... haven't read too much into it.

Sorry If I missed it... kind of skipped down.

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
you cannot reflect c4 or proximity mines, you can reflect grenades back, but they do not explode and the eplosion can't be reflected, just kinda throws the grenade back a little bit. you can counter c4 is prolly what u heard about, though you could invis frames to stop it, but thats obvious.

thesultan2112

Smash Apprentice
are you sure it actaully "becomes" wolf's? cause whenever i play a snake i ahve noticed that he is always vernuable to his own attacks

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Snake is not vulnerable to his own upsmash, not only that but wolf becomes immune to it, meaning if u reflect on the upswing of his upsmash, on the downswing it won't hit you, or if ur standing where it lands etc. My fav trick is to reflect it land and hold shield snake will either spam ftilt/A combo to try and hit u and get hit, or grab u and get hit, either way u'll be fine.

Gakuun

Smash Rookie
i found this out for myself a while ago, was pretty funny. Finally recovered and got a hold of a ledge and snake was charging upsmash so i got a little curious and jumped up to reflect the full charged usmash, was glad it passed thru me while snake was just standing there waiting for results, came back down and finished him off :)

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Yeah, for the longest time I thought the mortar was unreflectable because it couldn't be eaten or inhaled by Wario or DeDeDe, but this rocks lol

bioniclekid8

Smash Cadet
im a smash newbie (for the most part)

everyone probably knows this but.................

all of the space animals reflectors have a few "perfect shielding" frames

but wolf's reflector is the best most of the time, fastfall reflector FTW!!!

:uzi: :falco: :enforcer:

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
You know how whenever you're aerial and you're about to land on the ground, and somebody shoots an attack your way and you airdodge, but because you land on the ground it cancels your dodge and you get hit?

Use the reflector in these situations because it doesn't get cancelled by landing.

:) Just good luck timing those invincibility frames.

Free Smashes

Smash Rookie
I might be crazy, but aren't you not quite invulnerable? I'm not a very experienced tech player but I've played all three versions of Smash and am now interested in trying out the tourny scene. But in experiments conducted with a friend (Wolf vs. Snake) My friend was seemed to be able to drop Snake's missle down the gap in the top of Wolf's Shield and damage me. Or am I just crazy?

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I might be crazy, but aren't you not quite invulnerable? I'm not a very experienced tech player but I've played all three versions of Smash and am now interested in trying out the tourny scene. But in experiments conducted with a friend (Wolf vs. Snake) My friend was seemed to be able to drop Snake's missle down the gap in the top of Wolf's Shield and damage me. Or am I just crazy?

Wolf's reflector has a number of frames where your character counts as dodging and cannot take damage. It's a small window from when you push the button, to when damage is dealt.

There is at least one frame between when you run out of invincibility before the damage is dealt though, I have a video to prove it. Me and a Fox player both immediately shined, and my shine got off first... but his did damage first. So you saw the purple appear around me and just when you thought he was about to take damage, i got knocked back.

Computer

Smash Cadet
Reflector is the win. Invincibility frames destroy most attacks.

Obviously, your points are the best, Koski, but I really like to throw a reflector while juggling people (for when they try to attack you)

Reflector with a quick Uair works often enough.

Top Bottom