• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's recovery isn't really as bad as I initially thought it was.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Tonight I was playing around with Wolf's recovery in training and finding out more specifically what the properties of upB are. This may be common knowledge to a lot of people but I have seen a lot of mention of how upB can get you trapped under a ledge because it doesn't follow along them like the upB of Fox and Falco. This is only partially true though.

The angle at which you use upB is incredibly important with this move. Try going to final destination in training mode. The bottom of the ledge kind of looks like this:

Code:
Bout the best picture I can do. View the stage and you'll see what I mean. Basically there are two angles and the top one is closer to vertical than the bottom. Basically the rule is that Wolf WILL slide along and follow an edge, but only if he is hitting it at 45 degrees or less difference from his current trajectory. The easiest way to see this is to use upB going straight up: Wolf will just fall helplessly if he hits the lower incline (the one that is closer to being horizontal), but if he hits the higher incline (the one that is closer to being vertical) he will slide along it and return to the stage.

If you experiment with upB, you'll see that the easiest directions to go are 90 degree or 45 degree angles, but you CAN go inbetween these, and doing so can often save you. If you get below the ledge and underneath the lower incline, it can be hard to get back, because it's so easy to just go straight up or at a perfect 45 degree angle. But if you get somewhere between the two, you can run into the incline at such an angle that you WILL slide along it and return to the edge, whereas a 45 degree would overshoot you and cause you to fall to your doom and a straight up would cause you to konk your head and do the same.

I'm not sure how aware people are of the mechanics of this but I hadn't bothered to play around with it until tonight and I spent a good while practicing doing the more difficult angles with up B. This is especially useful when you are trying to edgeguard as there are positions you can get into where going straight up or 45 degrees will kill you but you can get back safely by going inbetween, and that allows a lot more versatility when it comes to leaping off and bairing people. I recommend training yourself to sweetspot the ledge from as many angles as possible if you haven't devoted any attention to this.

iZack

Smash Rookie
ya i was messin around with this too. for the most part i say when edge guarding, it's best when the opponent is not below the ledge but rather above it so that when you hop off you can use side b to get back which i feel is a much better way to recover than up b. however, when they are below the edge, single hop off the edge and use a fair or bair is even better cause it has less lag, then use your second jump and up b to get back. his recovery IS really hard to get down, i'd say anyone tryin to be good with wolf needs to go into training mode and just practice different recovery scenarios and get used to the right time to use his side b and up b.

cnza

Smash Rookie
Yeah, his recovery really isn't that bad. It's a lot better than I expected, especially seeing as he's really slow.

AlexDL

Smash Rookie
Wall jump

Since we are talking about FD, I found if I am stuck under it with wolf it is easy to wall jump to get a better angle to use Up B or Side B. Once I figured this out I found myself getting out of a lot of situations with it.

Edit- While in Practice I just figured you can grab stage usually from wall jumping off the the bottom part of FD.

Chro

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I did notice that sometimes it slides, but on stages like Lylat Cruise, I've gotten a fair amount of weak-*** falls recovering right into the (flat) bottom of the stage... blah. His up-B goes really far though. Once I had just grabbed the edge when someone recovered and hit me off. Now I thought that I had gotten up, so I was surprised to see my name nowhere next to the edge, but instead the red bubble going off the bottom... well, that's a good solid second of free fall, and I still managed to kick the other guy off. It goes farther than you think..

Top Bottom