• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's MeteorSmash to StarFinish Combo

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so plz don't flame me if someone already posted this.

This combo originated in SSB 64 where Ness would DAIR while the opponent was on the ground. As a result, the opponent would pop up in the air. While the opponent is flailing in the air, Ness would jump twice and then do an UAIR to "Star-Finish" him.

Wolf has almost the same exact combo where he DAIR the opponent then jumping twice to do a FAIR.

Here are my training mode results:

Kills:

Jigglypuff - Starting percentage = 80%

Mario - Starting percentage = 102%

Bowser - Starting percentage = 115%

Here is a demonstration of me doing it on Mario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltzcBaanLAY

Tell me what you guys think of this, politely =). Thanks

Valken

Smash Apprentice
Yeah bro it's nice and all but it will never work against a player. This is because is Brawl you can mid air dodge, or attack, or move a lot quicker after an attack than you could in 64 or Melee. So if you ever land the d/air at those percentages your apponant has many, many options to prevent the u/air. Knowing that the u/air can K/O at those percentages is good. After your d/air try predicting your apponants counter attack and adjust accordingly. Like if they keep mid air dodging, jump up and instead of attacking, wait for the dodge than attack. Brawl has alot to do with out smarting your apponant and alot less to do with unbreakable combos. Which their are barely any of btw.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Thanks for ur input valken. Just a question though, in the vid i posted, mario is upside down, is he able to air dodge when he is in this position? I don't have any players with me right now to test this out.

Whitefire

Smash Apprentice
Well no unless he wiggles out of it quickly. But airdodging is not the problem. Most likely he will DI left or right to avoid a follow up combo. Keep in mind your testing with a training dummy does not factor in DI, and DI is a major factor in the percentage of any kill in brawl. With proper down DI wolf's upsmash will very rarely make kills.

That's the biggest problem with this combo, is even if you do manage to read their DI right, the should be able to avoid being killed by downward DI, this might work once or twice but they will learn quickly. The up air isn't very powerful so expect to kill jiggly at around 140% or so instead.

The other problem is the down air is very hard to land on a grounded opponent, they have too much they can do to avoid an obvious attack like that. And the worst part is the lag when you miss it, not only are you right on top of them, but if they just shielded the attack they get to counter with any smash they wanted and punish you for 20+ damage and a possible kill, it's not worth the risk, a smart player would see the down air coming from a mile away, the same reason marth would never use his down air against a grounded opponent.

In theory the combo works smoothly but the risk you take for a move that couldn't kill most players at 150% is not nearly worth it, instead if you want to star KO someone you should work with the upsmash, a well spaced hyphen smash is a great way to surprise a floaty character and kill them. Otherwise Wolf has very little for star KO, you should be working around the great f and dsmash and getting them off the edge with the back air, and if all goes well, try a spike.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
Yes he can. You can try this experiment by yourself to test it out. (Wow I feel like Bill Nye)

Anyway.

Just do this, get your percent up to about 80% and allow yourself to be smashed. Immediately upon doing so start spamming L/R. You will notice that almost immediately after you get smashed you will mid air dodge. This breakes all combos.

Level 9 npc's always do this after every attack. Not necessarily a good idea because you can plan around it because you can't mid air dodge twice in a row (there's about 2/3 seconds before you can do it again) but if you want to try combos it's a good idea to do it on them. This is because they will dodge as soon as possible so they can show you which combos can be comboed and which ones must be timed around your apponants counter attack.

Good luck!

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Well no unless he wiggles out of it quickly. But airdodging is not the problem. Most likely he will DI left or right to avoid a follow up combo. Keep in mind your testing with a training dummy does not factor in DI, and DI is a major factor in the percentage of any kill in brawl. With proper down DI wolf's upsmash will very rarely make kills.

That's the biggest problem with this combo, is even if you do manage to read their DI right, the should be able to avoid being killed by downward DI, this might work once or twice but they will learn quickly. The up air isn't very powerful so expect to kill jiggly at around 140% or so instead.

The other problem is the down air is very hard to land on a grounded opponent, they have too much they can do to avoid an obvious attack like that. And the worst part is the lag when you miss it, not only are you right on top of them, but if they just shielded the attack they get to counter with any smash they wanted and punish you for 20+ damage and a possible kill, it's not worth the risk, a smart player would see the down air coming from a mile away, the same reason marth would never use his down air against a grounded opponent.

In theory the combo works smoothly but the risk you take for a move that couldn't kill most players at 150% is not nearly worth it, instead if you want to star KO someone you should work with the upsmash, a well spaced hyphen smash is a great way to surprise a floaty character and kill them. Otherwise Wolf has very little for star KO, you should be working around the great f and dsmash and getting them off the edge with the back air, and if all goes well, try a spike.

To the first problem you mentioned, I used the FAIR which is significantly more powerful than Wolf's UAIR. Also, there are some stages that have a wall so that the awesome DSmash or FSmash won't kill them. Also, you mention that they can use DI to prevent themselves from being star-finished, but it works both ways. In other words, they can also use DI to prevent themselves from being horizontally KO'd.

The second problem you mentioned was that the move is hard to do against a grounded opponent. I don't think that this will be true over time because in melee, captain falcon had roughly the same move and yet he was able to use it effectively against grounded opponents which would set up for his knee.

Thanks for your inputs though, I really appreciate it

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
Yes he can. You can try this experiment by yourself to test it out. (Wow I feel like Bill Nye)

Anyway.

Just do this, get your percent up to about 80% and allow yourself to be smashed. Immediately upon doing so start spamming L/R. You will notice that almost immediately after you get smashed you will mid air dodge. This breakes all combos.

Level 9 npc's always do this after every attack. Not necessarily a good idea because you can plan around it because you can't mid air dodge twice in a row (there's about 2/3 seconds before you can do it again) but if you want to try combos it's a good idea to do it on them. This is because they will dodge as soon as possible so they can show you which combos can be comboed and which ones must be timed around your apponants counter attack.

Good luck!
lvl 9 NPCs do this because it cuts fall distance massively, when you get hit by a smash, DI towards the stage with an immediate air dodge, you'll fly half the distance then you would with no DI / air dodge.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
The second problem you mentioned was that the move is hard to do against a grounded opponent. I don't think that this will be true over time because in melee, captain falcon had roughly the same move and yet he was able to use it effectively against grounded opponents which would set up for his knee.
Don't forget captin falcon was very fast. Opponents will see Wolf's d smash a mile away.

Top Bottom