• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's Ledge Stalling

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
So, Wolf's ledge stalling is really good.

As you might already know, you can stall on the ledge with his Up-B and his shortened Flash. Both moves are relatively lenient in terms of the frame precision required for a perfect stall, with Up-B being capable of grabbing the ledge on frame 1 and shortened Flash hovering near the ledge until the DRP timer runs down. However, Flash seems to be a particularly amazing tool to have on the ledge.

Why? Well, not only is it a quick stall, but you can also go on stage with it...while being protected by the ledge invulnerability.

What does this mean? It means that Wolf is very scary to challenge near a ledge. If your opponent insists on challenging you while you stall, he needs to guess whether and when you will decide to Flash into him. Because of the ledge grab limit, you can stall up to 4 times; If your opponent guesses wrong and shields during one of the stalls, you can now waveland on stage relatively safely, or read when he will act out of shield and respond accordingly. Shielding a Flash on reaction would be extraordinarily difficult, so your opponent is forced to play a guessing game with you. If your opponent decides to throw out a hitbox, you can barrel straight through it thanks to the ledge invulnerability. If your opponent backs away, you can harass him by firing lazers and wavelanding back onto the ledge, resetting your invulnerable ledge grab count.

Keep in mind, however, that this tactic is less effective at lower percents, because your opponent can crouch-cancel the Flash and punish the end lag. Also keep in mind that after the 3rd Stall, if you decide to go for another Flash, your opponent can more safely put up his shield because he knows you won't have ledge invulnerability if you stall one more time. At slightly higher percents, though, this is an interesting tactic to keep in mind.

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
I've been testing up-b ledge stalls, never been able to get them perfect. Maybe I'm not doing them fast enough. Interesting post overall though, right now seems a bit unnecessary, for myself at least.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I've been testing up-b ledge stalls, never been able to get them perfect. Maybe I'm not doing them fast enough. Interesting post overall though, right now seems a bit unnecessary, for myself at least.
bruh it's just

Down > jump > up b

Tap down, then press jump as soon as possible, and then when you're about to grab the ledge up b. imo it's not nearly as useful as it is for fox, but it works.

XF_Awkward

Smash Cadet
Go into training mode or something and turn on debug and hitboxes. (hold L+R then tap down on the d-pad to enable debug mode, then hold just R and tap right on the d-pad to enable hitboxes and other info.) This will give you a lot of different information, but its definitely helpful for practicing ledgestalling. Grab the ledge, and you'll see wolf turn blue. Practice ledge stalling until you find the right timing of dropping down and quickly regrabbing the ledge to where wolf stays blue through the entirety. Keep in mind though, you can only grab the ledge 5 times before you're not granted invincibility anymore, so you'll have to jump on stage every now and then while you're practicing. Its really not all too hard to get used to this, but does take just a little bit of practice.

Top Bottom