• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf: The Ultimate Counter To Olimar [Discuss]

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
I'm fed up on how much priority this character has over olimar, I mean, I'm sure you guys have all fought, Wolf has olimar beaten in everyway.

Spacing? Doesn't work, laser spam ahoy.
Close up? Have some forward A followed by more laser spam. Or Laser, then forward A w/e it may be.

Despite having the weakest Attack power out of the "Star" people, his attacks have ridiculous knock back, even if you are a light character.

Sad thing is, every wolf player I played, once he found out he could spam his laser and be effective, it just didn't stop.

I know theres an forum discussing his nasty Forward A, but this is just in general, I've tried so many ways to approach this guy and nothing seems to work, most wolf players aren't afraid of pikmin doing damage and they just forward A them off.

The only "useful" thing I realised is that Purple pikmin stop wolf dead in his tracks, except laser spam. and He gets KO'd @ 83% + to a down A purple pikmin smash.

:urg: C'mon I know you guys have had this problem.

No other character can do this =/

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
Afraid it doesn't wolf IS vulnarable to it, but every wolf player I go against, doesn't chase after me, they just spam laser once they get the smallest amount of distance

Relhots

Smash Lord
I'm fed up on how much priority this character has over olimar, I mean, I'm sure you guys have all fought, Wolf has olimar beaten in everyway.

Spacing? Doesn't work, laser spam ahoy.
Close up? Have some forward A followed by more laser spam. Or Laser, then forward A w/e it may be.

Despite having the weakest Attack power out of the "Star" people, his attacks have ridiculous knock back, even if you are a light character.

Sad thing is, every wolf player I played, once he found out he could spam his laser and be effective, it just didn't stop.

I know theres an forum discussing his nasty Forward A, but this is just in general, I've tried so many ways to approach this guy and nothing seems to work, most wolf players aren't afraid of pikmin doing damage and they just forward A them off.

The only "useful" thing I realised is that Purple pikmin stop wolf dead in his tracks, except laser spam. and He gets KO'd @ 83% + to a down A purple pikmin smash.

:urg: C'mon I know you guys have had this problem.

No other character can do this =/
Wolf has the stongest/second strongest attack out of the "Star people"

Here are some tips from a seasoned wolf player...

If someone does a forward A... roll back and attack them. that move has so much lag at the end its not even funny...

Most wolf players can't handle aerial attacks... Beware that some can though.

Try spacing, and if the wolf player tries to shoot at you, just roll inbetween the laser blasts.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Alright well in my personal opinion this coming from someone who mains Wolf his laser spam is cheap as **** actually any spam is cheap i cant really help you with that because my friends and i have rules against spamming but yeah. Get wolf into the air and near the ledge he is weak off the edge and doesn't have good save moves. I really wish i could be more help full but i don't really know anything about olimar and his strengths. If it would help you any if you go to the kirby char. section there is a thread about wolf and i have more tips in there im sorry about the spam though its really cheap and noobish i know.

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
Trust me on this one, you just need to get used to playing Wolf. I've noticed that olimar has to dramaticly play his playing style for each character he plays. Simply shieldgrabbing and smashes arent always going to work against every character.

When he spams lazers you have a few options that'll all work well.
1. To roll past each lazer towards him until you're close range. I know this seems noob b/c its very predictable, so you shouldnt do it very much, and when you do instead of rolling after each lazer let the sheild take a hit or two from the lazer to confuse him, lol.
2. Pikmin throw is slightly faster than wolfs lazers, and pikmin cancel his lazer. So if you keep throwing your pikmin at him, eventually the two projectiles will cancel closer and closer to him, and eventually it'll start hitting him. The problem with this is that its a little tricky to do, and your pikmin will be killed shortly after they latch on.
3. This is the easiest and best thing you should do, but its the hardest. Jump, throw pikmin at him, use your double jump and approach him in the air, Fair to a sheild and then sheild grab or whatever. If you keep doing this he's going to be punished for spamming.

My advice is to practice. I got 3 stocked once by a someone who played wolf for the first time and only used lazers and fsmash, and now of course i pretty easily 3 stock him.

eaglith

Smash Rookie
I've played my Wolf friend over 15 times, and each time I've gotten a little better against him. But he's still too good. I unfortuantely can't give you many tips, because Wolf (in my opinion) pwns every part of Olimar. All I can say is don't roll dodge that much, because his Down Smash is one of his best moves. Also, when he uses forward special (the one where he shoots horizontally), just shield, and when he lands on the ground pawn him. Other than that, don't throw Pikmin very much, he'll just kill them,

keeper

Smash Champion
I don't see how laser, or Pit's arrow, spam are really that much of a problem. The laser has pretty short of range when compared to many projectiles in the game and really doesn't do that much damage. Honestly, just shield grab them, then hyphen smash a Usmash so they will be above you and get good damage done to them. Blargh.

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
wow I'm glad I just wasn't complaining like a n00b.

Anycase Pit Spam isn't as bad considering he doesn't have that godly F=> A backing him up, its annoying, but nothing that can't be beat, its just laser spam and F=> A go hand and hand.

ugh Wolfs DI out of alot of grabs I do, but I've noticed grabbing is one effective way, and like said, odly enough he gets KO'd @ 83% with a purple down smash pikmin (no charging needed)

also like said "Olimar needs to change his play style for each char he fights"

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Well, I really don't believe Wolf is the ULTIMATE counter to Olimar. That is just too much of an exaggeration. :) If we can sum up a Wolf's entire strategy in just a couple of sentences, then you know there's not much to Wolf. He's predictable, in this sense. We know what Wolf will do. Now, we just need to come up with a solution and the problem will be eliminated. Now, if the opponent was UNPREDICTABLE, then we have a problem.

Another way to counter a Wolf's laser spam is to forward smash. Your Pikmin will protect Olimar from the lasers. Olimar can close the gap by fox-trotting, followed by forward-smashes. If you don't know what fox-trotting is, it is simply using the beginning of Olimar's running animation to move. You can steadily creep up to a laser-spamming Wolf using this technique. If Wolf bursts into a Forward-Smash, simply shield and punish him. I suggest Up-Tilting after shielding, or just grab him.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Noob question but, how do you foxtrot?
Watch this video of fox-trotting: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-x8wygkxDyI

Basically, you use the starting animation of a run to move. Instead of letting Olimar run fully, you start running and stop, run-stop, run-stop. Listen to the controller in the video, and it will give you a pretty clear idea of what to do. You can forward-smash during fox-trotting because you are partially stopping in between each fox trot. If you didn't stop, you would do a running attack, which looks like a rolling somersault maneuver with Olimar. Your goal is to avoid that, and instead, forward smash. It takes some practice, but it's a great alternative to countering Wolf's laser spam. Each forward smash protects Olimar from the laser, plus you are moving closer to Wolf. If Wolf continues to shoot lasers, he will eventually get hit by Olimar's forward-smashing, once Olimar gets close enough. Most likely, Wolf will stop shooting lasers and instead, forward-smash into Olimar. This is what you want Wolf to do. Force him to stop using lasers, and make him do something predictable that can be countered.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
If you want to avoid the lazer spam and be annoying/mindgame just spam the down tilt...

You will go all worm on his a$$, once he approaches shield and D-smash

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
If you want to avoid the lazer spam and be annoying/mindgame just spam the down tilt...

You will go all worm on his a$$, once he approaches shield and D-smash
Olimar's Down-Tilt is low enough to avoid Wolf's lasers? That is incredible! I've never tried that. Thanks for the tip.

Psyflame

Smash Cadet
Interesting ideas, from both Pyr0 and Gaz. Personally I was just going in aerially and relying on mindgames to draw out a punishable Fsmash. But I like the downtilt idea more.

Wolf, as a character who reacts well against camping, is somewhat vulnerable to pressure from Olimar, whose disjointed hitboxes, superior range, and juggling ability give him the advantage close-up. If you can stop Wolf from spamming once, you can likely keep him on his toes till he dies, at which point the cycle can be renewed. Whenever I play a projectile spam character, the one thing on my mind is to get in close and stay there; I find that it works most of the time.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
Interesting ideas, from both Pyr0 and Gaz. Personally I was just going in aerially and relying on mindgames to draw out a punishable Fsmash. But I like the downtilt idea more.

Wolf, as a character who reacts well against camping, is somewhat vulnerable to pressure from Olimar, whose disjointed hitboxes, superior range, and juggling ability give him the advantage close-up. If you can stop Wolf from spamming once, you can likely keep him on his toes till he dies, at which point the cycle can be renewed. Whenever I play a projectile spam character, the one thing on my mind is to get in close and stay there; I find that it works most of the time.
This man speaks the truth. I find that this is also the best way to deal with Toon Link and his godforsaken boomerang. If I hang back and simply toss Pikmin, I leave myself open for a running charge or aerial approach. I also steadily take damage, even though he is as well I'd rather avoid this. I find it best to counter this ranged pressure with Olimar's superior grab range, fairs, etc.

Hanging back and camping only really works on characters that have absolutely zero ranged game against you.

Top Bottom