• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf Off Stage Offensive/Recovery Options

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Hi so I recently picked up wolf, and I was working on my recovery when I noticed he can wall-jump. How can you do this?
Also, what are some off-stage options? Right now, all I basically have are Down-air, Fair, or laser followed by Fair or Dair. Any advice for following up off stage?

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
The input for wall-jumping is just pushing the control stick in the opposite direction of the wall. It's much easier on stages like Yoshi's with big walls but you can do it on certain parts of Battlefield. Also you can wall-jump off the ledge.

Off-stage options you have: D-air, F-air, B-air, Shine, U-air. You can do shine into a turnaround B-air aswell. B-air on it's own is still a really good edge-guarding option. If you hit the certain hitbox of U-air it sends them horizontally which is quite effective.

BearFist

Smash Rookie
Wolf bair is an exceptionally good tool for edgeguarding and just generally hitting people further offstage. This is because Wolf has a relatively high horizontal velocity when jumping in the air compared to most other characters, so he can go further out much like captain falcon, and bair has a very good IASA time, so more often than not if you hit it you can get back to stage safely. Like TimeMuffin said, shine turound bair is very useful and worth learning, letting you cover more potential recoveries from opponents. Just be careful not to trade because if Wolf gets hit offstage more often than not he'll just die since he falls so fast.

Fair is relatively bad offstage unless you get the outwards strong hitbox and it will kill, since it mostly sends the opponent up which just gives them more time to drift towards the stage and recover, so try to avoid that if you're trying to kill.

Also don't underestimate jumping at somebody and hitting them midair with shine to intercept, and following that up with a bair as they will most likely be DIing in as they try to get back to stage. If they DI the shine out and they aren't a character with an exceptionally good recovery, they're most likely dead anyway.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
How do you do a RAR back aerial I think it's called (when you do a dash forward then jump, turn the other way, and do a Bair)?
Also, what are the advantages to wall-jumping? Can't really find any threads for that, would be great if someone knew one. Can you wall jump out of wolf's up/side B? I know M2K does it with Mario.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
You can't wall jump out of his up or side b, only Mario can when he's already touching the wall.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
What about recovery options with Marth? My friend plays marth, and when I'm offstage he Fsmashes or when I try to recover higher he Fair's me.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
For RAR Bair, you have to flick the stick. I always think about a RAR in two parts, (it makes it easier for me anyways).

1)Before pressing jump - to RAR you need to be in wolfs run, not dash animation. Wolfs dash is super short, it only takes about a battlefield platform to go from dash->run. Once in the run animation, flick the stick the opposite way your running, this causes wolf to turnaround. Wolf will even be turned around (once he's airborne) if you flick the stick and jump 1 frame after.
2)During jumpsquat - jumpsquat is the 4 frames where wolf crouches before jumping when you press the jump button. Your directional input at the end of jumpsquat determines how much momentum wolf will conserve going into his jump.

So if you want to do a full momentum RAR back air, your gonna dash (let's say right arbitrarily) briefly until wolf enters the run animation (only ~1/2s), jam the stick left (before jump), hit jump (your now in jumpsquat) and jam the stick back to the right (stick has to be back over to the right before jumpsquat ends). You know you did a full momentum RAR if wolf does a backflip and lands facing the opposite direction he initially ran.

tl;dr - if your running right, flick the stick left, press jump, flick the stick right before jumpsquat ends, boom! full momentum RAR.

Regarding marth, marth is the king of punishing missed sweetspots. Marth can't fsmash you if you sweetspot. I find up B a little tricky to sweetspot with it's weird momentum conservation for the charge up and the huge range you travel, but practice makes perfect, so hit the lab with the ledge grab box enabled and you'll eventually get a feel for the sweetspot range. Side B is a lot easier to sweetspot, and hella fast. I think you should almost always opt for a side B if it will reach (below stage anyways, above stage you can angle up B into the edge for a tricky recovery, or fly in multiple directions on stage) it's faster and easier to sweetspot and has a juicy hitbox that might jank them if they try to grab ledge. Shine stalling is a great way to mix up your recovery too, toss some in to mess with your buddies timing.

Remember side B can be angled up or down to help snap to the ledge. You can shorten it too, but shortens off stage are risky as it only takes 1 frame of error to potentially SD.

Top Bottom