• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wobbling with Ness?

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
I'm not sure what happened. It may very possibly be a one-time glitch, but it might not. Also, sorry if this is already known.

I was messing around in training mode with a Donkey Kong as my opponent, and I grabbed him and I managed to get 41 pummels on him. Problem was that he was on stop, and not attack, so I imagine it's escapable. Anyway, I think it's worth checking out.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I was on a 2ds when doing this. I also got a combo of 999 by pummeling like this, which pushes DK off the ledge, and CPUs are dumb enough to continuously ledge jump. He jumped right into my grab range, and I did it again.

I find that it's easier to perform when the opponent is at higher percents.

Ignore this post.

Last edited:

VentusNeos

Smash Cadet
NNID
VentusNeos
3DS FC
0087-2490-5498
This isn't a glitch. In a grab, an opponent is able to be pummeled. If your opponent mashes commands, they can get out faster. At higher percents, It becomes progressively harder to mash out. Also at higher percents, you can hold the grab for longer and longer.

Since the training AI does nothing by default except recover (unless you set it to something else, such as attack, control, etc). They don't ever mash out. This is a pretty well known way to accomplish the challenge that wants you to get a ridiculous amounts of combo hits in training (Forgot the exact amount though).

Congrats on finding this without help though! And welcome to the Ness boards! (judging this by your total messages, so forgive me if I'm wrong about you being new)

Edit: Since characters like Ness and Lucario have much faster pummels in grab, they are the more commonly used character for the challenge as well. Just wanted to point it out :)

Last edited:

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
This isn't a glitch. In a grab, an opponent is able to be pummeled. If your opponent mashes commands, they can get out faster. At higher percents, It becomes progressively harder to mash out. Also at higher percents, you can hold the grab for longer and longer.

Since the training AI does nothing by default except recover (unless you set it to something else, such as attack, control, etc). They don't ever mash out. This is a pretty well known way to accomplish the challenge that wants you to get a ridiculous amounts of combo hits in training (Forgot the exact amount though).

Congrats on finding this without help though! And welcome to the Ness boards! (judging this by your total messages, so forgive me if I'm wrong about you being new)

Edit: Since characters like Ness and Lucario have much faster pummels in grab, they are the more commonly used character for the challenge as well. Just wanted to point it out :)
I realized that after my first post, but I never edited it. I knew about AI's mashing out, and I figured out that you can pummel more at higher percents. I'm pretty new to this game, getting Sm4sh for the 3DS for Christmas.

Anyway, thank you for telling me :)

EDIT: Forgive me... I actually am not new to Smash Bros. I've played casually since I was 7 or 8, but I didn't have one game for too long.

Last edited:

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
What if I told you Ness can wobble.
But that's something for another thread, if it hasn't already been discovered by someone else.

VentusNeos

Smash Cadet
NNID
VentusNeos
3DS FC
0087-2490-5498
What if I told you Ness can wobble.
But that's something for another thread, if it hasn't already been discovered by someone else.
Can he? I don't think wobbling is even possible in any game besides Melee. Getting hit doesn't force you to stay in a grab now, and can be mashed out whenever as long as the percent isn't high enough.

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
Wait I think I used incorrect terminology, isn't called a wobble in teams when one person grabs and starts pummeling, then their teammate grabs the opponent right after the grab release. And continues until a ko.

Anyways wobbling or whatever it is called i have found a way to get past the immunity to grabs after a grab release.
Edit, it is called team wobbling. Ness can team wobble on smash 4. I just hope it doesn't get patched though.

Last edited:

VentusNeos

Smash Cadet
NNID
VentusNeos
3DS FC
0087-2490-5498
Wait I think I used incorrect terminology, isn't called a wobble in teams when one person grabs and starts pummeling, then their teammate grabs the opponent right after the grab release. And continues until a ko.

Anyways wobbling or whatever it is called i have found a way to get past the immunity to grabs after a grab release.
Edit, it is called team wobbling. Ness can team wobble on smash 4. I just hope it doesn't get patched though.
As your edit says, that's team wobbling, which every and any two characters in the game can do, but it's only really effective in mid to high percents, because during low percents (as in like 30%+ roughly), a fast enough masher could get out of the second teammates grab before the one second time frame it takes to grab again expires. (Since that sounds confusing, I'll try to explain better lol)

Teammate 1 grabs the victim at 0%
Victim mashes out and takes only 1-3%
Teammate 2 grabs the victim
Victim mashes out again, only taking 1-3%
Teammate 1 tries to grab again, only to fail because his one second time limit to grab is still going.

That's just my experience though. I might be off.

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
As your edit says, that's team wobbling, which every and any two characters in the game can do, but it's only really effective in mid to high percents, because during low percents (as in like 30%+ roughly), a fast enough masher could get out of the second teammates grab before the one second time frame it takes to grab again expires. (Since that sounds confusing, I'll try to explain better lol)

Teammate 1 grabs the victim at 0%
Victim mashes out and takes only 1-3%
Teammate 2 grabs the victim
Victim mashes out again, only taking 1-3%
Teammate 1 tries to grab again, only to fail because his one second time limit to grab is still going.

That's just my experience though. I might be off.
Team mate 2 can't after teammate 1's grab release applies to both players. From my experience.
But the team wobbling is more like the fox drill shine team wobble on melee, except with ness instead of fox and less tech skill involved. To do it all you have to do is have someone kind of short grab the opponent and start pummeling then about a second before they escape have ness start down tilting quickly, at least one of the hits will cause the released opponent to trip and will negate their immunity to grabs, rinse and repeat to get your opponent to ko percents.

Top Bottom