• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With Anyone Online, should it be given attention?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
If there's anything that I would just make me love Project M more than I already do, it's the ability to actually play With Anyone with 1v1 matches like in Smash 4.

While this may sound like it'd take years of development and be some kind of impossibility...well, I don't think so. Would it be possible for With Anyone to be changed to 4 stock matches and only be 2 players per room?

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
If there's anything that I would just make me love Project M more than I already do, it's the ability to actually play With Anyone with 1v1 matches like in Smash 4.

While this may sound like it'd take years of development and be some kind of impossibility...well, I don't think so. Would it be possible for With Anyone to be changed to 4 stock matches and only be 2 players per room?
Use the Wi-Fi Matchmaking thread to find opponents, or just use netplay and find matches on Anther's Ladder.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Use the Wi-Fi Matchmaking thread to find opponents, or just use netplay and find matches on Anther's Ladder.
But what if somebody doesn't go to smashboards? Why should finding other players to register via friend roster be the only way to play against others online?

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely as well. Even with a dedicated server like Wiimmfi, there will still be lag, and who knows if you'll even be able to find a person to play against. When you look at it compared to Netplay, it just seems like a waste of time.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Xenozoa pretty much covered it.

It's a lot of time for something that, in the end, isn't really very popular. Especially with the rise of netplay's popularity and the general ease of netplay's use, there's not much need for extensive wi-fi support, and even then wi-fi is intrinsically limited and laggier than the netplay option.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely as well. Even with a dedicated server like Wiimmfi, there will still be lag, and who knows if you'll even be able to find a person to play against. When you look at it compared to Netplay, it just seems like a waste of time.
I've found others online with no lag, and I don't see how changing it to these settings wouldn't attract more players, especially with such a huge group of players who play Project M in the first place.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
I've found others online with no lag, and I don't see how changing it to these settings wouldn't attract more players, especially with such a huge group of players who play Project M in the first place.
That's literally not possible. Brawl Wi-Fi always has lag, and it's more substantial than Netplay's. Lag is inherent in online play.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
That's literally not possible. Brawl Wi-Fi always has lag, and it's more substantial than Netplay's. Lag is inherent in online play.
Well then I must have had lag that slowed down the game by such a small margin that I couldn't notice.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Well then I must have had lag that slowed down the game by such a small margin that I couldn't notice.
Yes, that's probably it.

But lag that you don't notice is not lag that is unnoticeable, and there are many people for whom any lag greater than 4-6 frames is unacceptable, and lag of 4 frame is certainly noticeable by many players, including myself.

Unless this has changed, I believe Wi-Fi forces 6 frames of lag on top of the connectivity lag, which can be very substantial. For a lot of players, it's not worth playing with 10 frames of lag when netplay is available with a ladder system and better matchmaking, and when there are people out in the real world to play with lagless.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Yes, that's probably it.

But lag that you don't notice is not lag that is unnoticeable, and there are many people for whom any lag greater than 4-6 frames is unacceptable, and lag of 4 frame is certainly noticeable by many players, including myself.

Unless this has changed, I believe Wi-Fi forces 6 frames of lag on top of the connectivity lag, which can be very substantial. For a lot of players, it's not worth playing with 10 frames of lag when netplay is available with a ladder system and better matchmaking, and when there are people out in the real world to play with lagless.
But if it's really not much trouble to just limit rooms to 2 players and change the rules to 4 stock, then I'd think it's worth it to satisfy the players who can deal with minor lag for the expense of playing online with anybody with ease.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
@ RedFly RedFly I'm not sure you're reading the word "lag" correctly here... you're probably thinking about dropping frames, we're talking about the delay between when you press a button and the action your character takes actually occurs. Since you are not playing on the same wii, requiring the connection between boths wiis in itself causes this lag and as such can be an issue for more frame-specific characters and actions, and along with the frame drops themselves that you are probably thinking about, it's just not plausible to actually ladder people using the Wii's wifi.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Netplay destroys WiFi because it's peer to peer instead of through a server. This removes like 75 percent of the input delay that WiFi has.

Top Bottom