• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wireless Router For Dial Up?

rhan

Smash Hero
Resently I have moved out in the country and was stuck with dial up. My wireless router I had back in my old house isn't compatiable with dial up. No one in my area has a router so I can't just "borrow" thier wireless signal. I have been online searching for a such thing and I can't seem to find any. And since the internet is so slow it makes it nearly impossible to do a complete search. If there is a such thing could someone infomr me of it? URL's or device names would be greatly appreciated.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you sure you can't connect a Wifi router to your modem? What modem and router do you have currently? Make and model numbers would be helpful.

But in the future, DSL might be a good solution if it is available to you.

rhan

Smash Hero
AltF4Warrior said:
Are you sure you can't connect a Wifi router to your modem? What modem and router do you have currently? Make and model numbers would be helpful.

But in the future, DSL might be a good solution if it is available to you.
I don't use a modem. The internet line goes right into the phone jack. My old modem was only useful because I had Cox Cable. The modem is the simple one that Cox gives you. A Motorola SURFBoard. Model number = SB5120. My router is a NETGEAR wireless router. I can't seem to find a model number would a serial number or MAC number work?

Also DSL? Could Verision provide this?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, somewhere along the lines you have to have a modem. The modem is the thing that changes the computer signals into sound signals that can travel over phone lines, you have to have one to be talking to me right now!

It sounds like you've got an internal modem, though. Does your phone line run into your motherboard, or a PCI slot? If you don't know what that means, then just nevermind.

It's possible to use your computer to just reroute traffic through to your Router... Do you have another ethernet port on your computer? The port should look just like the one your phone line is going in to, but in a different spot on the back of the computer.

I'm thinking it might be possible to just reroute the traffic through to the Router. But I'm not sure if you have to do any complicated setup for that to work right, I haven't done it personally before.

Also: DSL is a different kind of internet service that uses traditional phone lines, like Dial Up. Only it does some funky frequency techniques so that you can use the phone AND the internet at the same time. At approximately cable speeds, too. You'll just have to ask your ISP if they offer DSL in your area, or if there are any others who do.

DSL is usually preferable for locations which are kind of far away from town. It uses the standard phone lines, so it's technically available almost anywhere.

rhan

Smash Hero
AltF4Warrior said:
Well, somewhere along the lines you have to have a modem. The modem is the thing that changes the computer signals into sound signals that can travel over phone lines, you have to have one to be talking to me right now!

It sounds like you've got an internal modem, though. Does your phone line run into your motherboard, or a PCI slot? If you don't know what that means, then just nevermind.
I'm not very computer high tech but the cord does connect to the CPU directly.

It's possible to use your computer to just reroute traffic through to your Router... Do you have another ethernet port on your computer? The port should look just like the one your phone line is going in to, but in a different spot on the back of the computer.
Yes there is one on the back of the CPU. That's how I connected my router and modem up before.

I'm thinking it might be possible to just reroute the traffic through to the Router. But I'm not sure if you have to do any complicated setup for that to work right, I haven't done it personally before.

Also: DSL is a different kind of internet service that uses traditional phone lines, like Dial Up. Only it does some funky frequency techniques so that you can use the phone AND the internet at the same time. At approximately cable speeds, too. You'll just have to ask your ISP if they offer DSL in your area, or if there are any others who do.

DSL is usually preferable for locations which are kind of far away from town. It uses the standard phone lines, so it's technically available almost anywhere.
Alright. I'll be sure to call up Verision tomorrow and see if they have DSL. Thanks alot for the information. I greatly appreciate it. :)

Top Bottom