• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will we really see a new Smash Bros for Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. G&W

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.G-W
3DS FC
4725-7944-0757
Switch FC
SW-1951-5696-0402
To be honest, I'm not sure. Nothing relating to the next Smash Bros has been announced to date; not even during E3, earlier this month. Frankly, I'm not surprised because whether or not there will be a new Smash Bros is up to Masahiro Sakurai, the creator and director. (I've said this in a couple of threads already, but this is where I'm mainly making this speculation.)

To support my argument, let's go back around sixteen years. Super Smash Bros Melee has just been released. Despite its delayed release after the GameCube's, it still sold tons of copies and made tons of money for Nintendo and for HAL Laboratory. The game, developed in only thirteen months, still had quite a number of bugs (notably ones allowing for wave-dashing, dash-dancing, and other advanced tricks) and (admittedly) broken physics. Then, just a few months later, Masahiro Sakurai announces his departure from HAL Laboratory. What was supposed to be a work of art like the Nintendo 64 prequel was -- let's face it -- a rush job. Another rush job that started as a Nintendo 64 project was Kirby's Air Ride. Because it, too, was rushed into production, Kirby's Air Ride was critically panned.

(To Melee fans especially, I'm perfectly aware there are people who prefer this game over other Smash Bros games competitively, and I know there are those who like Kirby's Air Ride, too. But, the point I'm trying to make is that HAL Laboratory's apparently poor management on both of those games and the whole "we can sell anything because it has a big name" philosophy are what are most likely caused Masahiro Sakurai to quit.)

Sakurai started his own company, Sora, so he could be more directly involved with games his group would make and he would have more control over them. That is why Super Smash Bros Brawl (despite its more casual-ish nature and annoying stumbles) and Kid Icarus Uprising both became quite popular among gamers. And, since Mister Sakurai had direct control over Super Smash Bros 4, that too has sold lots of copies and became every bit as competitive.

But, after I saw one last update video after the release of the Bayonetta and Corrin DLC, it looked pretty final. It made me begin to doubt, given Sakurai's history with Smash Bros and with HAL Laboratory, if he would want to make another Smash Bros game in the future. One can only hope, and it would be awesome to see something new. However, I don't think we'll see anything about a new Smash Bros for a while.

That, of course, is just my speculation. I'm not trying to be like Debbie Downer, but I'm trying to be more realistic; and, to be honest, I regret saying this because I love Smash Bros games, and I love to hear more information about new Smash Bros-related stuff. But, I'm just not sure right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom