• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Up+B ever be viable?

roboticphish

Smash Cadet
You can use it to grab the ledge if you aren't facing it, you can use it as a really risky mixup on the ledge to put an opponent to sleep if they get too close, and it can be used in teams for free kills. That's about it.

Pip_Puff

Smash Rookie
Lol it's good for reverse snapping ledge but that's about it, every character has a bad move,

like sheik's down b

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
While it is useful in some situations (pretty much only at the ledge, and it's pretty uncommon that you can use it well), I wouldn't go so far as to say it could be "good". If someone is hanging around at the ledge too much you could bait out a laggy move then use Sing to put them to sleep, then you'll grab the ledge and be able to punish with a rest. An alternative to rest as well would be getting up quickly and charging a smash attack (though they are able to mash out), get a grab, or just jump behind them and hit them with the reverse hit of nair and edgeguard them.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
When puff jumps in the air she gets inflated and turns into a bigger hurtbox. If you up b close to the edge, the edge magnet has more range and she goes back to her original size so it's safer to sweetspot to the edge. And you can buffer an edge tech during the sing.

Also if you edgehog Marth or Sheik (generally) they land vulnerably on the stage, there you can sing > edge regrab and position yourself better to get an even more guaranteed rest. What l do is ledge dash and then rest on them when they're almost standing back up after their nap.

It's a hard timing but you can run off > sing > edgehog if you don't tap jump accidentally.

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
At high enough percentage it can be impossible to mash out, meaning you can stall with it. Excessive stalling techniques are banned though so it doesn't really mean much, especially since it´s not easy to Sing someone in the first place.

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
At high enough percentage it can be impossible to mash out, meaning you can stall with it. Excessive stalling techniques are banned though so it doesn't really mean much, especially since it´s not easy to Sing someone in the first place.
But is it specifically banned? As far as I know there's no rule in place for that as of now. There's so few things like this in Melee that generally they're all specified as opposed to just saying "no excessive stalling".

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
The less viable a move is in top level competitive play, the more viable it is when it come so disrespecting lesser players than yourself. Swag is a very important part of Melee.

Stroimex

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I punish some failed attacks using Up-B to make them sleep because I don't feel some aerials to be viable in certain punishes. I'm still fresh tho.
Also I don't know when it makes them sleep for long times and when they wake up faster. I belive it works like Bayonnese's ***** Time being more effective on High % oponents

Last edited:

Bell Pepper

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I punish some failed attacks using Up-B to make them sleep because I don't feel some aerials to be viable in certain punishes. I'm still fresh tho.
Also I don't know when it makes them sleep for long times and when they wake up faster. I belive it works like Bayonnese's ***** Time being more effective on High % oponents
The higher in percent you are the longer you will be asleep.

Spidertotz

Smash Rookie
Sing has some fair uses, here are the once I know and the once I use: (Some of them has already been mentioned)

1. Running of and using up-b during fast fall to grab the ledge. (I'm doing this pretty consistent now).
  2. You can grab the ledge a lot lower compared to when you normally would. I use this all the time vs a Marth that f-smashes and down tilts at the edge.
  3. Like others say, it can be uses when you bait marth and sheik to use their up-b and landing on the edge. It can also be uses when doing the "Marth killer" when using light shield at the edge, as seen in the combo video "Technical machine no.44"

Peppers

Smash Apprentice
But is it specifically banned? As far as I know there's no rule in place for that as of now. There's so few things like this in Melee that generally they're all specified as opposed to just saying "no excessive stalling".
Apex rulebook says stalling is a banable offense. No it doesn't specifically say you can't sing stall but if you are using it to timeout a match I'd almost guarantee the TO would DQ you. That being said I'd totally mess around with this in friendlies just to bust my buddies balls.

Last edited:

rivers

Smash Cadet
I am the sing ledgegrab master

I only do the sing infinite in doubles to give my teammate hella time to run up and charge an attack but that's because I'm not a **** head

Calais79

Smash Rookie
Obviously a one in a million situation but at Pat's House 3 Prince Abu vs. PewPewU ( At 10:19 - https://youtu.be/9hR8orkcfDk ) where a puff was recovering and accidentally used up-b mid air, landed on fountain with the right plat down and Marth tried to punish with tipper f-smash. He just barely miss spaced the f-smash so the tipper was an inch from phantoming and because he apparently extended his hurtbox he got put to sleep just long enough for the Jiggs to finish singing and f-smash back. Unfortunately it didn't kill (if he had more time from percent being higher he probably would've rested) and he didn't get the edge guard but still, a crazy accidental use of up-b in high level play. lol

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Another use people aren't mentioning that I can see being optimized if enough work was put in: if sing trades, which is rare though can happen, you get a free rest. It's really cool. Another thing people don't know is that the sleep animation can be edge cancelled lol. You have to be running really fast though. Whatever.

Linc.inc

Smash Rookie
grab ledge, short hop up, up b, you will snap back to ledge and if the oponent is asleep rest before they can get up.

Top Bottom