• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will there be a Project M for Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twigler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twigler
Just curious to know if this project will ever be in the makes. Discuss?! :D

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
If there is, it prob won't be made by the same team. I mean, dude, PM isn't even done yet and smash 4 just came out the other day. This thread has been made many times. I'd lock it if I had the power.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I imagine someday, there might, but I hear the PM developers aren't doing that any time soon if at all.

Besides, I'm in the boat right now that Smash 4 can be very success in it's own right, so I wouldn't be in any rush to modify it just yet.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
It's too early to tell, but if I had to guess I would say no. I think smash 4 can be competitively successful without it and like nameless said, the PM isn't done yet.

Twigler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twigler
If there is, it prob won't be made by the same team. I mean, dude, PM isn't even done yet and smash 4 just came out the other day. This thread has been made many times. I'd lock it if I had the power.
I just joined the forums like an hour ago sorry lol

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
is too soon to talk, maybe if the console becomes hackable we will have something to speculate about that xD

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
Hackers are an unstopable force of piracy, it´s just a matter of time my friend xD

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Haha NO! First, the PM dev team have made it clear they ain't touching smash 4 out of respect for Nintendo. Secondly, smash 4 doesn't really warrant a hack to "make things better" as it doesn't have any of the scrappy mechanics like tripping that weighed Brawl down competitively. Hope that answers your question OP! :)

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
I hope they do. It would be nice to have the HD version plus the mobility that comes with L Cancelling and Wave Dashing.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Well 3DS was recently hacked, and Wii U is already having exploits that are being explored (very minimal)

That said, I feel like once a Smash Game comes out, everyone tries to hack as much as possible. Then we end up with messed up PSAS of Lucari-mewtwo and ****ty recolors of the menus lol.

Do I think there will be another PM? No. I think this one will suffice for a long time. The next big thing we're going to get is a Melee clone by a 3rd party developer or some fan of Melee who happens to be a game programmer and makes a new Melee (mark my words)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
At best, there might be a "Balanced Sm4sh" or a "Sm4sh+". ¦D

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
??? The graphics are fine or do you prefer melee graphics?lol

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Secondly, smash 4 doesn't really warrant a hack to "make things better" as it doesn't have any of the scrappy mechanics like tripping that weighed Brawl down competitively. Hope that answers your question OP! :)
Project M literally started when a PM dev played Brawl, hated Falco's shine, and said "You know, I could probably change this into the Melee shine." It had nothing to do with tripping or anything until much later on, PM started off a whim.

zigheart

Smash Apprentice
Well 3DS was recently hacked, and Wii U is already having exploits that are being explored (very minimal)

That said, I feel like once a Smash Game comes out, everyone tries to hack as much as possible. Then we end up with messed up PSAS of Lucari-mewtwo and ****ty recolors of the menus lol.

Do I think there will be another PM? No. I think this one will suffice for a long time. The next big thing we're going to get is a Melee clone by a 3rd party developer or some fan of Melee who happens to be a game programmer and makes a new Melee (mark my words)
hey hey hey now >.> just remember, brawl modding started off as very simple texture hacking. no vertices. no codes. nothing. just recolors. most weren't even that good xD i personally wouldn't mind seeing brawl 4 modded someday, even if its not a full game, custom stages and characters would be nice. and i imagine a lot of modern hackers would move to it as it becomes available. i know i would. not to mention as games grow the stuff you can do with them also expands. i guarantee that smash 4 would have more leeway in some areas for instance samus and ZSS are completely separate. imagine the file size has greater leeway just from that i believe its the same with pokemon. i think its more a matter of when rather then if. PM may not be around for it but doesn't mean other mods will not be.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
I'd personally enjoy a fan-made Smash-Like Fighter. Imagine: a modding API, mods abound, the ability to add boxers without getting a C&D, that'd be so cool...

True Fool

Smash Ace
Not by the same dev team at the very least. I don't think anyone should mod the game until we're at least done getting our patches/DLC/ect, in my personal opinion. All I really want out of potential Smash 4 mods would be the removal of 4's edge-guard mechanics, auto-ledge grabbing, nerf rolling, more hitstun, and make Dark Pit and Lucina actually worth learning over their clone-originals in some small way.

Wavedashing and L-canceling are fun, and I would also enjoy their inclusion, but I understand not everybody is a fan of those mechanics, and I would not take any offense as a competitive player if they were not included.

None of this is necessary though, Smash 4 is fun as it's own game, and PM is very satisfying as a competitive game. Honestly I'm just looking forward to PM's completion(can't wait to alledgedly see those rumored clone engine characters), and looking forward to 3v3s becoming a competitive game-type(still hoping).

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Not by the same dev team at the very least. I don't think anyone should mod the game until we're at least done getting our patches/DLC/ect, in my personal opinion. All I really want out of potential Smash 4 mods would be the removal of 4's edge-guard mechanics, auto-ledge grabbing, nerf rolling, more hitstun, and make Dark Pit and Lucina actually worth learning over their clone-originals in some small way.

Wavedashing and L-canceling are fun, and I would also enjoy their inclusion, but I understand not everybody is a fan of those mechanics, and I would not take any offense as a competitive player if they were not included.

None of this is necessary though, Smash 4 is fun as it's own game, and PM is very satisfying as a competitive game. Honestly I'm just looking forward to PM's completion(can't wait to alledgedly see those rumored clone engine characters), and looking forward to 3v3s becoming a competitive game-type(still hoping).
About L-Canceling, I do like it, but I do very well understand those who find it unnecessary. It really does nothing but add an artificial skill gap by forcing players to learn an extra button press to every aerial, and yet it is just like learning to Tech, where Teching is better almost every time. It's quite a funny situation, and I must say it's interesting in the least. So I was thinking about ways to appease them and thought of a couple of interesting ways to implement L-Canceling in an interesting way:

1. We could make a Cancel Gauge Mode. It'd be an alterative gamemode where players have a "Cancel Gauge", this decreases when you L-Cancel (Amount decresed depends on amount of Lag canceled) and increases when you don't (Amount increased depends on amount of Lag suffered). You can always L-Cancel, but if the meter is less than or equal to 40% L-Canceling will cancel 10% less lag for every 10% lower it is than 50%, with a total decrease of 40% more lag. If it's higher than or equal to 60%, all aerials will deal 5% more damage for every 5% higher it is than 55%, with a total increase of 40% more damage.
    • One could even apply a Lucario-like Magic Series Cancel for characters in this mode that decreases the Cancel Gauge when a move is canceled. Lucario would get cancels for free, of course, and would be the only one who can cancel into special moves.

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
I think PM will continue to be updated with better stages, more characters etc. I do think with it being online now they can't possible give up. PM will be around for such a long period of time

MagnesD3

Smash Master
PM/Brawl graphics are dated but not ugly. :/
shew I find that inbetween looks awful. Polygon graphics force imagination and epic hd is just pretty. Inbetween looks like laziness even though it isnt and has imo always looked terrible. Ps2, dreamcast, xbox, early 360/ps3 games look pretty bad imo. Gcn oddly enough had a glow to it but had some uglyness as well.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
I personally like 16-bit era graphics best for 2D, and HD graphics with 64-type textures (You know, textures like in Banjo Kazooie, Mario, Wind Waker, Ocarina/Ocarina 3D etc)

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
shew I find that inbetween looks awful. Polygon graphics force imagination and epic hd is just pretty. Inbetween looks like laziness even though it isnt and has imo always looked terrible. Ps2, dreamcast, xbox, early 360/ps3 games look pretty bad imo. Gcn oddly enough had a glow to it but had some uglyness as well.
Depends on the game, really. 2D graphics force imagination as well (actually, all video games do), but they hold up better than early 3d graphics.

True Fool

Smash Ace
About L-Canceling, I do like it, but I do very well understand those who find it unnecessary. It really does nothing but add an artificial skill gap by forcing players to learn an extra button press to every aerial, and yet it is just like learning to Tech, where Teching is better almost every time. It's quite a funny situation, and I must say it's interesting in the least. So I was thinking about ways to appease them and thought of a couple of interesting ways to implement L-Canceling in an interesting way:

1. We could make a Cancel Gauge Mode. It'd be an alterative gamemode where players have a "Cancel Gauge", this decreases when you L-Cancel (Amount decresed depends on amount of Lag canceled) and increases when you don't (Amount increased depends on amount of Lag suffered). You can always L-Cancel, but if the meter is less than or equal to 40% L-Canceling will cancel 10% less lag for every 10% lower it is than 50%, with a total decrease of 40% more lag. If it's higher than or equal to 60%, all aerials will deal 5% more damage for every 5% higher it is than 55%, with a total increase of 40% more damage.
    • One could even apply a Lucario-like Magic Series Cancel for characters in this mode that decreases the Cancel Gauge when a move is canceled. Lucario would get cancels for free, of course, and would be the only one who can cancel into special moves.
That sounds really cool to me personally. I wouldn't expect to see it implemented, but if it ever was, I'd be down for it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Honestly, a little boost in native resolution does absolute wonders for any generation 6 game. Brawl's only real problem beyond that is that the aesthetics are kinda trash especially compared to 4.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
First, someone must discover way to hack WiiU, then hack SSB4. That won't happen any time soon. Then, modders will have to analyze SSB4 to know how this and that works, what is possible and what isn't, how to make this and that happen, etc. THEN, new Project M development team will have to be created because old one will most likely be retired. THEN we will have to wait for few years to get a fully functional Project M4. So, don't even bother waiting for it.

Honestly, a little boost in native resolution does absolute wonders for any generation 6 game. Brawl's only real problem beyond that is that the aesthetics are kinda trash especially compared to 4.
While Brawl is inferiour to games like Other M in terms of graphics, it still has very high quality for a Wii game. If you mean design and not graphics, then maybe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom