• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Pokemon GO be a success?

DeKoibs☆

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-1131-4463
So I've seen the trailer for Pokemon GO, and I have to say even if I'm not into Pokemon, it was pretty cool. But is that really what it's going to be like? I mean I like the concept of going outside to catch your favorite Pokemon, but there are few people who dislike this concept, mostly because you might have to walk hundreds of miles to catch that :019: that's probably at the bottom of a well.
<content redacted>
Just a little warning, they are a bit explicit. But what are your thoughts on Pokemon GO? What are your opinions on the concept of going outside to catch Pokemon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
I think it'll end up a lot like Miitomo, popular at first but after about three months it'll petter out and die.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Seeing how people are enthusiastic about incorporating fictional animals into their daily lives just so they could both satisfy and fulfill their Pokemon Master fantasies, yes. But as Suzukipot already stated, it's most likely going to end up like Miitomo unless they bring something new to the table.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It'll be successful... for a short time.

The reason for its success is nostalgia. The reason for its success is that a lot of people who stopped playing Pokemon games well over a decade ago want to relive their childhood.

The catch is that these childhood Pokemon fans are not fans of Pokemon as it is today. They are only fans of generation one. When Niantic inevitably (and they have confirmed this) adds Pokemon from the later generations, these nostalgia Pokemon GO fans will drop out like flies.

I know this will happen from my coworkers. They dropped Pokemon after Red/Blue/Yellow, and have absolutely no interest in Pokemon created beyond that. One even bought a 3DS some time ago and tried to play X/Y. He didn't last because he didn't recognize any Pokemon he saw (what a closed mind... but, whatever), and other coworkers just whine about there being "too many" Pokemon now. These people will not keep Pokemon GO coming, they are not fans of Pokemon. They are just following a trend of nostalgia. Once new Pokemon are added, they will drop the app. And I'm afraid these are the people that are making Pokemon GO seem so successful right now.

And all of that is talking of the ones who will last past the initial hype. A lot of people will drop it soon just because they'll get bored of it.

This app is just kind of doomed to phase out pretty quickly one way or another. It's a neat idea, but that's just the way things go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom