• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U Game Pad usage thread

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Everyone knows that SSBB doesn't make a real use of Wiimote sensors, but I think that things will gonna be different with Wii U Game Pad in Super Smash Bros. 4 due the controller touchscreen.

Of course, it may be that the controller will be used only for playing without TV when you're playing alone. But anyone that knows how the controller works can think many things beside this. I think, for example, in the "assimetric gameplay" thing.

-Four players are having a Free-for-all while a fifth player with the Game Pad interacts on the match making items appear with random touches on screen or controlling stage enviroiments;

-There was a Pictochat stage on Brawl, in the new Smash installment, it should have a Swapnote stage where the Game Pad player make platforms and walls by making doodles on controller's touchscreen;

-In 1x1 context, the Game Pad player should be able to act as a refree, watching the match in an own screen and being able to pause or suspend the match in any case, while this feature is not allowed for players in match;

-During online play, the Game Pad camera and microphone could be used for video and vocie chating while the player plays with another controller (probably, the Pro Contoller or Wiimote formations). And also, the single-player modes should support Miiverse, allowing to players suspend the game and post a message about certain parts of game on Miiverse board;

-As a bonus feature, the Game Pad player can be able to rotate the camera and take snapshots at any moment and without inferferring the current match on TV screen.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I would like to use the game pad for stage creation. Otherwise I havnt really put much thought into what the game pad could do for Smash. I guess Ive been so caught up with character roster and stages that I forgot there was a game pad. Iam interested though but I just dont know what to expect....

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
what I hope is that you can continue the game on the gamepad while watching tv, I am a multitasker and this will be perfect for me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The game pad could always offer special features for certain stages.

For example, if Rotohex is made into a stage, the game pad user could play the Rotohex game, while everyone else is fighting. Of course, as an added twist, whatever happens on the game pad would also affect those who are using the television screen; disappearing hexes would alter the battlefield for the fighters.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
3 regulars vs Boss Mode. Player controlling the boss has a manual on bosses' moves on the screen. Number of bosses is GamePad exclusive, as they have moves requiring touchscreen use (precise targeting, or pen strike, or whatever).

Inclusion of such a mode would however brutally affect boss design. I mean, bosses would need to be fun to play. Not case of most SSE bosses, I think.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
I'd like to see an asymmetric gameplay mode where the player with the GamePad is in charge of when and where to spawn items. I can see myself abusing that :). I think a return of Melee's camera mode using the gamepad would be cool as well. The gameplay could also allow for each player to make secret stage and character picks before the start of the match which could be interesting.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
4 Pro controllers and 2 Gamepads (3 vs. 3. 2 of each team fighting and the gamepad guy helping the fighters trying to get damage healers, items ,changing aspects of the stage, helping to perform double Smash Finals)

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
4 Pro controllers and 2 Gamepads (3 vs. 3. 2 of each team fighting and the gamepad guy helping the fighters trying to get damage healers, items ,changing aspects of the stage, helping to perform double Smash Finals)
I can imagine a Crew Battle on the molds of Kid Icarus' Light vs. Dark mode: One single stock count for three players on the both sides.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
WiiU gamepad usage will feature but not limited to

-enhanced stage creating
-more engaging audio features (pictures &videos )
-more immersing final smashes similar to Naruto ninja revolution ie:links triforce slash player could hack and slash on the Wiiu pad
-asemetrical gameplay
that's all I can think of.p

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I like the PictoChat idea in the OP, being able to use to the stylist to create & draw multiple/various drawings & lines to add more diverse gameplay on that stage, OP listed alot of great ideas

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
In Airik's boss battle thread there was a discussion about using the gamepad to control bosses. The gamepad controls the boss with certain list of techniques while up to four other players can fight against it.

umegames

Smash Cadet
There's so many avenues to take the gamepad down, and i dont know what they plan to do, but i KNOW they wont dissapoint.

Same goes for the 3ds

jigglover

Smash Lord
How about using it for certain moves such as Yoshi's egg toss. Rather than having routes, you quickly tap the screen where you want it to go (or something of the sorts.) It could also have a fixed view so you can see the entire stage on it rather than just the bit that the camera zooms in on.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Possible Wii U controler implication.

I'm actually stealing this idea from a post I seen over on IGN but I thought it was a cool idea so I figured I would bring it up here for discussion. As we've seen with demos from Rayman Legends the Wii U remote can be used in conjunction with other remotes to either assist or hinder players. So I (and the person I stole this idea from lol) think it would be very cool to have a mode in it where the person holding the Wii U remote could have control of the stage and items while the other players fight. The person with the Wii U remote could control the stage hazards as well as the items that drop or in the event of changing stages like the Fire emblem stage or the Mario Sunshine stage the Wii U remote could possible even effect the rate at which those stages change. It would make the items and the stages even more randomized and I think it would be a lot of fun as the person with the Wii U remote could be helping or hindering players as the match goes on. Maybe you decide to start helping the underdog, or maybe your just a pain to everyone, or maybe you're a real *** and you start helping the guy who's obviously already in the lead either way I think it would be a cool addition and a lot of fun to be had using the Wii U remote.

What do you think? Think this is a good idea that could add a new layer of depth and fun to the Smash Bro's franchise? Or do you think this is a load of rubbish and terrible idea? Sound off below.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sakurai will try to make any gimmicks with the Wii U Gamepad or the touch-screen on the 3DS, hell, even if we got 3D that would be kind of a stretch, because remember what Salurai said about the Wii motion controls when making Brawl ?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't think Sakurai will try to make any gimmicks with the Wii U Gamepad or the touch-screen on the 3DS, hell, even if we got 3D that would be kind of a stretch, because remember what Salurai said about the Wii motion controls when making Brawl ?
He JUST said that he didn't want to make the game 3D (or add gimmicks to the game) because the "game system is near complete" and it wouldn't serve a purpose.

Top Bottom