• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi vs. Ethernet Connection

OverLade

Smash Hero
I've recently been considering investing in a wired connection for the Wii since I hear it's far superior to wifi. But I have a few questions, because I'm also investing in a capture card to make recording and uploading matches as well. It's not that I can't get both, but I'd prefer to have better internet before I start seriously playing online again.

So I'm asking, does anyone have any experience switching from Wireless to wired connection? How MUCH will it improve your connections?

For example, right now, the only green connections I have are people who go to my school and live in my general district. I live in Tampa, but anyone as far as Orlando is yellow. Then the connections vary from state to state, but past virginia and georgia the connections are always orange unless the person has crazy good internet and it's midnight or so.

Will I have more green/blue/yellow connections if I get a wired connection? Will it make much of a difference, or is it not worth the investment?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Wired will only help your connection, not theirs.
I got a good capture card for like $50 and have the link to the site if you want a cheap one.
Idk bout the rest.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Wired will only help your connection, not theirs.
I got a good capture card for like $50 and have the link to the site if you want a cheap one.
Idk bout the rest.
I've seen the dazzle for about 50$ as well, but I'm a tad tight on cash at the moment lol. I'm just wondering if the wired connection makes that much of a difference. If my opponent has wired, and I don't then it doesn't help me, but if we both have Wired, then it helps both of us, right?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
A wired connection is generally better then an unwired connection, yes.
There will probably be less lag.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
The problem is not so much the wireless vs. wired connection, but the way Nintendo implemented online in brawl. Even if you get a wired card, you are still gonna lag noticeably because Nintendo's net code sucks. You will still have noticeable input lag regardless. If I were you I wouldn't waste my money on a wired card.

OverLade

Smash Hero
have u considered dvd recording ur matches?
I have, but could you please explain exactly how it works and what to do? I have a DVD player in my room (though I'm honestly not sure if it works lol).

The problem is not so much the wireless vs. wired connection, but the way Nintendo implemented online in brawl. Even if you get a wired card, you are still gonna lag noticeably because Nintendo's net code sucks. You will still have noticeable input lag regardless. If I were you I wouldn't waste my money on a wired card.
I know, but I play online regularly, so I'm used to that. I want to know if it'll IMPROVE significantly (change Yellow connections to blue, orange to yellow, and hopefully most of my red connections).

dazzle sucks
Lolwut?

Top Bottom