• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Wario is actually the most versatile character.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Okay, please hold on to your pitchforks and torches. While it might be true that I do hold a little bias to Wario because I main him, that won't have an affect on my reasoning.
If you are looking for a new main, I suggest Wario. Why, you ask? I'll tell you right now.

Wario isn't exactly super fast, but he's not slow. That's a good thing, because it makes it harder to read. Wario may have one of the slowest walking speeds, but his extremely powerful forward tilt adds to that, and makes for an amazing counter.

Ground Game: All of Wario's smash attacks have been boosted, and he has some amazing kill power now. He can also deal some good percent damage as well. I already talked about his forward tilt. His up tilt is pretty good as well. Now, since Wario is short, this makes it easier for him to ledge punish, i.e., his down tilt is good.

Specials: Literally all of Wario's specials have been boosted. Corkscrew can now go diagonally, which makes it easier for him to recover. It also has a slight percent increase. Chomp, and I'm not exaggerating this CAN LITERALLY EAT MOST PROJECTILES NOW. It makes him really good for some unexpected countering. Some projectiles even heal him. The Wario waft can now kill at low percentages if fully charged up. And the Wario bike. . . Oh baby, that's too good. First, I will talk about it the air. This bike makes it ridiculously easy to help Wario successfully recover. If you time it right, you could possibly even go under a floating stage and recover under that ledge. Now, on the ground, this thing can even damage when you jump off. If you get an opponent under a wheelie, it can do some stunning knockback.

Air game: Now it's really getting serious. Okay **:4wiifit: voice** let us begin. Wario's nair isn't unique. It does 11 percent, and has little knockback. That's it. But his other airs are awesome. His uair can lead to some pretty good combos, and is a good follow up to an upthrow. His dair, while not a meteor smash, is like a nullified version of Yoshi's, as in, it's basically the same but with less percent damage. You could probably pull this off on the ground too. His back air has some amazing kill power. Now, for my personal favorite, the fair. Now, this fair is a dime a dozen. It just does a simple forward kick, like, I could name over seven characters who do that. But this one is special. It can lead to combos. Ulike any other air kick in the game, this one only sends and opponent forward. That being said, this is an amazing way to prevent recoveries.

So, how does this have to do with Wario being versatile, well, let us review. He can deal some amazing knockback, has an amazing forward smash, it is so easy for him to recover, he can deal with projectiles, and he can heal. He can also have some amazing combos.

'Nuff said.
-Brandon

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
I do know what you mean. I have seen some players make Wario look like a beast.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
I understand where you're coming from, but a top-level player would have said that Wario is the MOST versatile character by now if it were true. Sheik and Diddy just have more options than Wario IMO.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Between the chomp and the bike, I\d have to agree he's easily one of the most versatile characters as far as offensive options go.

I'd have to disagree about Sheik and Diddy having more options, though. It's more that the options they do have are extremely good to the point where you don't really need anything else.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
I guess you could argue that Wario has more options than Diddy, but Sheik has more options than Wario.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I agree, Wario's definetely got versatility. You didn't even talk about the bike either, which gives him tons of options with the way its hitboxes work in this game and the traps you can force.

I feel his range and somewhat punishable moves will always be what will keep him tricky to play though. I honestly think that the SHI-G tier lists are the only ones to get Wario's placement properly so far (in top 10). I'm still learning the character, but as I keep finding ways to get KOs he's slowly replacing Shulk as my secondary.

Sachmoo

Smash Rookie
A strong case CAN indeed be made that Wario is the most versatile. Most people would agree he is very versatile. The problem is, being versatile doesn't make up for a lack of a true BnB. Most, if not all, of my combos and Go-To's are with Gimmicks and shenanigans.

Wafty

Smash Apprentice
Wario has kinda ****ty range and has trouble racking percent imo. Other than that Wario is pretty godlike

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I think one of Wario's greatest assets is his unpredictability. Sure, his moveset is very good, but it's the way he can use it that really makes him so versatile.
There's so many different things Wario can pull off anywhere on the stage that he can be quite intimidating for opponents, and combined with the ever-present threat of that explosive Waft can really put the fear in other players. Mind games are a real big part of this portly legend.
If you want a crazy, unpredictable powerhouse, Wario is certainly your man.

Last edited:

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
I understand where you're coming from, but a top-level player would have said that Wario is the MOST versatile character by now if it were true. Sheik and Diddy just have more options than Wario IMO.
I've recently been practicing Wario a lot, and I've honestly got to disagree with you on this one. I could write a short essay on why Sheik is overrated, but I'll just say that I think a good Wario can outclass her. I don't see her much at tournaments anymore, and I've always felt that she was weak to heavy characters that can maneuver on a decent level - Wario.

His kill moves are really really good. His options out of shield are better than you would expect. His pressure options are unbelievable - both defensively and offensively. I'm on OP's side, Wario is one of the most versatile characters in the game. Japanese tier lists had him pretty high up early on and until recently I didn't see why, but after spending some time watching videos and getting a feel for his match-ups, I really couldn't agree more with a high A tier placement.

Wario has kinda ****ty range and has trouble racking percent imo. Other than that Wario is pretty godlike
I've been surprised more times than I can count how far his side-tilt reaches out. It can kill at around 90% too.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
I've recently been practicing Wario a lot, and I've honestly got to disagree with you on this one. I could write a short essay on why Sheik is overrated, but I'll just say that I think a good Wario can outclass her. I don't see her much at tournaments anymore, and I've always felt that she was weak to heavy characters that can maneuver on a decent level - Wario.

His kill moves are really really good. His options out of shield are better than you would expect. His pressure options are unbelievable - both defensively and offensively. I'm on OP's side, Wario is one of the most versatile characters in the game. Japanese tier lists had him pretty high up early on and until recently I didn't see why, but after spending some time watching videos and getting a feel for his match-ups, I really couldn't agree more with a high A tier placement.

I've been surprised more times than I can count how far his side-tilt reaches out. It can kill at around 90% too.
I agree. THAT FORWARD TILT THOUGH.

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
I agree. THAT FORWARD TILT THOUGH.
If wave-dashing were in this game, it would be like the ultimate ****ing roll punish. Even so, it's active frames make it a pretty good option for someone who is spamming rolls on you.

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
I mostly agree, but Wario is anything but a combo freak. He has like no combos. He relies on baiting reactions and punishing exceedingly well.

Also, nair is magnificent. It has 2 hits (near no ending lag) and at low % combos into usmash, mid % into any aerial (or waft) and high % into late hitbox waft or up b.

Fair doesn't lead into combos tbh. Its more of a poke and retreat move best to be used in neutral (alon with chomp to mix yourself up). Fair is a strong poking move.

Also, you failed to mention that Dair has KO potential, you can use the bike to edgeguard efficiently as a projectile (throw up at the ledge, wait for a roll, and chomp where they roll. If they stay on the ledge, the extended hitbox let's u d smash when the bike is done bouncing.) And to also mix up in neutral.

It does anywhere from 13-26% per hit and low knock back so it can completEly rack up damage while CF, Ganon, Luigi, Mario, etc. Try to recover if thrown correctly.

Last thing, he even has a combo breaker! (Up-b)

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
If you jump once for fair and then jump again for a dair, you can actually net a pretty easy kill. His combo potential isn't the best, I'll give you that, but with his fantastic damage and kill potential, as long as you can set up a few good hits, you'll be fine.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The speeding bike opens up his combo game so much.

You can transition into any aerial attack (Including all of the half to fully charged waft variants) after a successful hit if your opponent doesn't DI properly all the way from 0% to around the low 100s on most of the cast. It also lets you do jab reset combos by footstooling after the bike hit at lower percents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom