• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why UpThrow over DownThrow?

_LINK3N_

Smash Rookie
I've been maining RosaLuma since the 3ds days, and have pretty much been using UThrow --> UpTilt as my go-to combo. When I was recently labing, however I noticed, that DThrow --> UAir is true. It even deals more damage then UThrow --> UpTilt.
So my question is:
Why does every Rosa use UpThrow instead of DThrow?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I've been maining RosaLuma since the 3ds days, and have pretty much been using UThrow --> UpTilt as my go-to combo. When I was recently labing, however I noticed, that DThrow --> UAir is true. It even deals more damage then UThrow --> UpTilt.
So my question is:
Why does every Rosa use UpThrow instead of DThrow?
If that's true, I think it's because up throw combos stay guaranteed longer, or offer the opponent less opportunity to DI away. I'm not entirely sure though, going based on feel here.

_LINK3N_

Smash Rookie
I also think UThrow combos work longer. Still, wouldn't it be better to use DThrow in low %s?

howard526

Smash Rookie
The main reason is that most characters can easily DI away from down throw combos, so its not very reliable. Up throw works for longer and is much more reliable because of the angle of the throw. Plus at low percents against fast-fallers up throw links into a jab combo which does like 30ish damage and puts your enemy offstage. The other argument is that because Rosalina is so good at juggling its always better to be below your opponent, rather than at an angle. Down throw can be a good mix up but overall isn't the greatest.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I guess there is also Uthrow>Jab that people could be using, which does like 30%
AFAIK Dthrow combo's can be DI'd.

Top Bottom