• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why "Turbo Mode" Is Good For Project M.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Turbo Mode is very controversial within the Project M community. People either LOVE Turbo, or they absolutely hate it. I'm here to go over the 3 big reasons Turbo is said to be hated and discuss here what can be done about it in a more positive aspect, rather than giving up a whole new game type in its own right.

The first reason Turbo Mode is hated is because of proclaimed "Infinites". The claim that every character can just mash the jab attack and rack up 100+ perfect instantly. This is FALSE. By going into the Rules and selecting "More Rules", you may turn OFF the option known as Input Assist. When this option is turned off, every character must then preform a different attack with each hit (for example: You cannot Forward B into Forward B, you must select a different second move than Forward B). By doing this, you effectively eliminate any real "infinites". Yes, Metaknight can infinitely use his Tornado, but you can smash DI out of the tornado, also keeping in mind that each hit with the tornado is only going to do about 1 or 2% anyway. The only TRUE Infinite left to worry about is Ganondorf's Up B, which can infinitely string into another Up B even with Input Assist turned off. This is due to the 1 hitbox cancel system. Ganondorf's initial grab with Up B when he hugs is a different hitbox than the lightning that produces new hitboxes, allowing it to be canceled as a "different move". This is the only thing that cannot be avoided and players should agree not to do such things and penalize players for it. "Well what about Toon Link's Up B?". Simple trick actually. Tech on ground contact into a back roll away from Toon Link, then punish the missed Up B accordingly.

The second reason Turbo Mode is hated is because "whoever lands the first move gets the stock". This is false. After a year of extremely competitive turbo with a large group of friends, we have found that smash DI is just as effective, if not, more effective than in the vanilla game. Smash DI is a basic principle to the game that you should already know how to do when playing Smash, and not knowing this basic mechanic is your fault, not Turbo Mode's fault. To include, very often when rapidly preforming strings at 1 or 2 frames, it is extremely difficult to master doing it accurately or preforming the wrong attack in your string and dropping combos all together, this is a HUGE factor just like in any other 1HCS Fighting Game.

The last reason and the biggest reason. "I can't L Cancel, it just air dodges". You're right. You can't L cancel after a successful attack hitbox lands on a hurtbox or shield. If you attempt to, you will indeed Air Dodge in place, and most likely be punished for it. You can however L Cancel any attack that would not land a hitbox on a hurtbox or shield. Also, there is a simple substitution for L Cancels. It's called wave landing. After landing a successful hitbox onto a hurtbox or shield, air dodge toward any direction you feel is appropriate at that time and not only can you act immediately like an L Cancel allows, you get the wave land effect of covering distance at the same time. Think of this technique as a BETTER and more reliable version of the L Cancel system. If you cannot wave land, again, it is a mechanic for the game that I recommend learning, and not knowing how to wave land is your fault, not Turbo Mode's fault.

All of this being said, Turbo Mode has a whole different metagame and class ranking. It's very true. I myself have mastered a great many guaranteed combos from EVERY character in Turbo Mode, each character also providing a new way to gimp and provide combos. It's like a whole new game itself. Don't think of it as Smash PM, think of it as Smash Turbo. I've seen a great many impressive things myself in this game variant and think it should gain more hype than it has. The only reason it isn't recognized is because many people also have never even tried it before being a critic. Yes, it takes getting used to, just like any new game mechanic or game itself, and that is just what you'll have to do. Learn a new game and adapt.

THE BEST PART: Every Character plays different in Turbo than they do in the Vanilla game, so it's like learning a whole new character, and don't forget the NEW COMBOS!

If you want my teams personal opinions on a tier list for Turbo Mode 3.5 in order from best to worst. These opinions are based on not only what combos the character can preform, but how easy they are to outright kill or gimp while in turbo mode.

A-TIER

Ganondorf
Zelda
Link
Metaknight
Marth
Mewtwo

B-TIER
Ike
Roy
Toon Link
Ice Climbers
Falco
Fox
Lucario
Nes
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Sonic

C-TIER
Mario
Diddy Kong
Pit
Ivysaur
Game & Watch
Captain Falcon
Sheik
Charizard
Luigi
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Squirtle
Kirby
Pikachu
Warrio
ZS-Samus

D-TIER
Rob
Snake
D.D.D.
Peach
Yoshi
Olimar

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Turbo isn't even fun to play or watch. Like, all these people post videos of "TAS Turbo" and I'm just like nah boring. None of those videos are even any good anyways. Like, nothing "TAS worthy", just some kids experimenting with tools and video editing for the first time.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I can understand if you guys disagree, but really? Do we have to resort to "topkek autism dank 4chan meme I'm edgy" kind of retorts?

This isn't even about me agreeing or not. I just kinda skimmed the thread and was disappointed.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Can I get some sources of people that actually hate turbo mode.

Generally from what I've seen, people either like it, or don't play it because they don't understand it. Never met anyone yet that actually hates it.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Can I get some sources of people that actually hate turbo mode.

Generally from what I've seen, people either like it, or don't play it because they don't understand it. Never met anyone yet that actually hates it.
I'm not fond of it tbh, but it's really only because no one knows how to play it well enough and the game isn't really balanced for that. I can see turbo mode being a regular thing in another platform fighter though. Kinda like how you can cancel a hit or bunt into any action on Lethal League, such as another hit or bunt depending on you and the ball's trajectory, or just instantly fast falling while aiming the ball any way you want to, a wall interaction like Raptor's walljump, Sonata can flat out double jump, etc.

Turbo mode in this game just puts a bad taste in my mouth because it's impossible to find good content of people playing it because virtually no one knows how to play it much less uploads videos of it. Like I said above almost every video that is posted is just /really/ bad tas attempts.

Haden

I'm not fond of it tbh, but it's really only because no one knows how to play it well enough and the game isn't really balanced for that. I can see turbo mode being a regular thing in another platform fighter though. Kinda like how you can cancel a hit or bunt into any action on Lethal League, such as another hit or bunt depending on you and the ball's trajectory, or just instantly fast falling while aiming the ball any way you want to, a wall interaction like Raptor's walljump, Sonata can flat out double jump, etc.

Turbo mode in this game just puts a bad taste in my mouth because it's impossible to find good content of people playing it because virtually no one knows how to play it much less uploads videos of it. Like I said above almost every video that is posted is just /really/ bad tas attempts.

Not exactly the best image quality on planet earth, but I have these videos of legitimate bread and butter combos for a couple characters. Watch a couple. There is a true combo game in turbo. If you find viable competitive players who can play turbo mode like that, its actually just as fun as the nilla game is.
For the first video, just skip to like 3 minutes and 5 seconds.
Also in the second video, the last combo in the video is SUPER hype. Ganon=God in turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ESKzgq0q14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHT7AJlMiRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL-kQ9WJGgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sWgQuBbbgI

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
I have never saw a case of anyone hating it. I personally don't care to play it, but I do enjoy watching the videos released for it, TAS or not. I actually forgot it even existed until I saw this post x]

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Not exactly the best image quality on planet earth, but I have these videos of legitimate bread and butter combos for a couple characters. Watch a couple. There is a true combo game in turbo. If you find viable competitive players who can play turbo mode like that, its actually just as fun as the nilla game is.
For the first video, just skip to like 3 minutes and 5 seconds.
Also in the second video, the last combo in the video is SUPER hype. Ganon=God in turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ESKzgq0q14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHT7AJlMiRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL-kQ9WJGgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sWgQuBbbgI
You misunderstand. I'm not saying there is or never will be no real metagame for it, just that a large portion of people make it look bad and boring like their lives depend on it.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
I love turbo. I'm disappointed that people always forget it exists. :[

Last edited:

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Turbos main issue is canceling moves on hit into shield, i think. From what ive seen of turbo tournaments this makes the neutral really stale because the largest of risks are compromised. No moves should cancel into l or r also because you cannot l cancel with this mechanic.

Perhaps what they should do is make a distinction between smashes and other moves. Maybe they need to make certain moves only cancel into certain actions or moves.

Maybe cancelling should only be available on a clean hit, not just on shield.

Maybe canceling a move on someones shield takes away their shieldstun.

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
http://youtu.be/KXNcZhIrZ1Y

At 4:13, there is a pretty cool looking Falco mirror.

Of course at the end we see zeldas usmash infinite.

Which reminds me, you didnt address that in the inital post.

Last edited:

Haden

youre playing turbo mode with damage ratio low =/

why not make it giant metal for 'extrahype'
0.8 is our preference in damage ratio because of how much percent can be generated with 1 well-executed combo. I can consistently preform the same Ganon combo for about 120-139% (depending on how long I hold the opponent with the Up-B usage), it is actually unfair at this degree when on 1.0, as all characters do officially become in sense "unbalanced". Curving damage ratio to 0.8 and turning the "Input Assist" option off has made it more "playable", if you will due to the fact that it will take more percent to generate higher knockback that 1.0

We tried turning off knockback, but all it did was create infinites for button spam, no actual coordination.

Giant Metal? Well, because giants die at the blast zone before a normal sized character initially would. Also..... eh, metal.

Sometimes we do turn on Smash Ball because not only is it the Smash Ball, but it can be used to continue the flow of your combos. Since your hitbox touched something, you can cancel the move, something I also consider especially doing with Ike's side B. It's fun to also incorporate the Smash Ball Finale Attacks into your Combos. I love doing side B with Meta Knight into Tornado and then smashing them with his Finale Attack or a Forward Smash into another Side B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom