• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the haters?

UberBob

Smash Apprentice
I've been reading threads and posts on this forum for a while now, and people seem to think that the pokemon trainer one of the most useless characters released so far. I don't only see this here, but all my rl friends seem to think this too. I think they're absoloutely wrong. How is it bad to have three different movesets in one character? If you think about it, PT is one of the most unique characters we've gotten yet, and by far the most interesting. It's definately gonna be one of the first characters I play when I get brawl in february. Now I ask you, why the haters?

Turbo Grafx-16

Smash Cadet
I think the reason people don't like him is because of his "stamina." The constant need to switch from one pokemon to the next means you will have to master three type's of character's (Speed, Power, and a plant) so it may feel weird playing him.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
"don't u know!? liek, pokemans is for 13 year old boys! lulz! its GAY!"

Seriously, he seems to be one of the most fun to play, controlling wise.

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
We don't even know how often you have to switch (how fast the Stamina goes down), it might not be that bad, I doubt it will be that you have to switch Pokémon every 60 seconds, at least I certainly hope not...

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
As sort of an extension to what's been said, I think the hate might come from unfavorable comparisons to Sheik. People want to be able to play as the one character of the three that they're best at (alternately, the most powerful of the three) and have to play the other two.

FutureBrawlOwner1413

Smash Apprentice
As sort of an extension to what's been said, I think the hate might come from unfavorable comparisons to Sheik. People want to be able to play as the one character of the three that they're best at (alternately, the most powerful of the three) and have to play the other two.
That's what so good about him. It's all for balance sake, the problem with Zelda/Sheik is that everyone (almost everyone) only used Sheik. No mater how much I want to play as Charizard all the time though.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Then go ahead. I think stamina works like an auto-nerf. If you start using only the best one the game nerfs that character temporarily so that the Zelda/Sheik sit is avoided. You're not forced to change, it jsut rebalances the character.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
People just need to get over it, we have no idea how stamina will work, so until we do, this is an unfair arguement.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
People just need to get over it, we have no idea how stamina will work, so until we do, this is an unfair arguement.
Telling people not to discuss things in a forum is like telling an orca to towel off. You're right that we don't know about how it's going to work, but that's no reason for us to not speculate.

Anyway, I think a lot of people are just brushing him off because they don't like pokemon. Changing between three different players is a great way to add variety to a match, no matter how you slice it.

Cless

Smash Champion
Whatever, the numbers speak for Pokemon. You don't get to be the second most popular game franchise ever for no reason.

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
PT might be one of the best characters, who knows? Your opponents would have to know how to counter each pokemon of the 3, and how to deal with three different specific strategies.
I hope PT turns out to be a great character.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
i just hope his attacks aren't too predictable because of his orders. (and i hope his moves are not annyoing)
His attacks will be the same as say... "Falcon Punch!" But faster I'm sure.

The move will probably be halfway done by the time PT gets done saying, "Waterfall!"

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
i personally like the pt a lot. seems like it would be fun to use glide with charizard and tether recovery with ivysaur. so far, ivysaur is my fav of the three. :)

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
Psh..screw them. PT is going to be the best. Unless Female Pokemon Trainer is a secret character XD.

spindash

Smash Ace
I think that the Pokémon Trainer is great! If used correctly, I think it REALLY could work in your favor. There could be times where you need to one-up a character in speed, or if you've so happened to master Ivysaur or Charizard, REALLY switch it up as a means to catch the player off guard since they may have to try and change their own strategy. Since you're playing against a totally new Pokémon. It'll be hard to exploit the weaknesses of the Pokémon Trainer if the opponent is forced to try and keep up with one Pokémon, and when they have it figured out...poof. Enter Ivysaur. Enter Charizard.

If people rip on the character, they don't see the uniqueness of this character.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
I think PT looks like a fun character to use. Noone really knows how good or bad the character will end up being so you can't say PT sucks.

Formula1

Smash Apprentice
Once I find out how the stamina works, I'm sure I will like him more

But it does seem awkward the way they share a percentage meter and they have stamina.......

I would much rather have nerfed moves with a little bit of strategy to them so that each has a percentage to work with rather then stamina....
Seems A bit awkward

Top Bottom