• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Metaknight is so Top Tier

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight wont be top tier because his weight is a huge disadvantage against heavyweights and fast fallers. Yea, he might do the damage, but he can get ko'ed insanely easily by easy to use characters like Ike and Wolf.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
It means "level". So a character that is "top tier" or "top level" is good. A character that is "bottom tier" or "lowest level" is not competition for one that is top tier. These tiers existed in Melee and were more or less clearly visible. Tiers don't really exist in Brawl, as most characters are extremely balanced, or **** close to it.
Alas, your last statement is false. Tiers don't exist at the moment, but they will. As long as there are tournaments, tiers are inevitable.

GofG

Smash Champion
It goes further than that. Since every single character in the game got immensly buffed, minus the obvious gimps like Marth, the tier lists will be even more obvious and important.

Imagine:

Fox's "goodness" level is set at 1.0 in Melee.

Ness's "goodness" level is set at .8 in Melee.

Apply a buff of 2x to both.

Fox's level is now 2.0.
Ness's is 1.6.

The difference is BIGGER.

Obviously, this is a poor analogy, but it will end up being eerily accurate, imo, 4 or 5 years into the gameplay.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
...minus the obvious gimps like Marth...

...The difference is BIGGER...
Maybe, but somehow I doubt it. If the mechanics of the game were the same as Melee, this may be true. But it's not just the characters that changed. All of the physics were basically redone for Brawl.

The only gimping they did to Marth is that they made his sword a bit shorter. Everything else is still just as good, if not better, imo.

Let's wait until tournament play gets underway before we start judging how the tiers will work out. Predictions are ok...I think MK will make upper high tier or possibly in the mid to low top tier area, but I've seen people predict him as being low or middle tier.

Tiers are based off of tournament play anyways, so there's no way to know yet.

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
I want to point out that tiers are bases off of theoretical matches where both players are of the exact same skill level. Needless to say, the whole point of matches are generally based off of who has more skill. A skilled person with a low tier character will still always beat a scrub with a high tier character, at least in Smash where things aren't horrendously unbalanced.

Yet.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
While that's the intent of tiers, they're actually based off of which characters win tournaments the most. The theory behind it is indeed that if two equally skilled player play with different characters, the higher tiered character will win. But this isn't necessarily the case. The tiers aren't perfect, but basing them off of tournament results makes them as accurate as possible and completely unbiased.

El_Komosutro

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, but somehow I doubt it. If the mechanics of the game were the same as Melee, this may be true. But it's not just the characters that changed. All of the physics were basically redone for Brawl.

The only gimping they did to Marth is that they made his sword a bit shorter. Everything else is still just as good, if not better, imo.

Let's wait until tournament play gets underway before we start judging how the tiers will work out. Predictions are ok...I think MK will make upper high tier or possibly in the mid to low top tier area, but I've seen people predict him as being low or middle tier.

Tiers are based off of tournament play anyways, so there's no way to know yet.
My theory is that meta won't find a stable place in the tiers. I think where ever he gets placed, it will be argued by most. It's mostly because of meta's 1 dimentional gameplay. He was built to be all over you, but with out any zoning capabilities (his teleport should have had more invincibility frames) hes just charging and eating attacks until he gets lucky (even marth has a counter). sure you can run in and block any thing thrown at you, but as soon as you pop a sheild, good kids grab. I've seriously gotten zoned three stock by link while using every trick i've seen and thought up myself (honestly). I think that meta will probably have lots casual players, some semi pros, few top players, and that one guy who meta was just made for that makes everybody go, "OMG!!! DID THAT JUST REALLY HAPPEN!!!" All in all, he's going to be a croud pleaser reguardless of tier...

As for marth, he might not have changed much, but because of the lack of L Cancelling and wave dashing, marth's pressure game has dropped considerably and he is much less safe overall than he used to be. El Komosutro, told me that he doesn't like marth any more because Marth is now all mind games. He, as well as many other marth players have moved to sheik for her abusive fox trotting capabilities. I expect that her speed on the ground, needles for zoning, marvelous edge guard/hog game, tilts for combos and at least five killing moves will give her all she needs to tier over meta knight. And with all the marth players migrating to her, she will most likely have the most in depth strategy of any of the old melee tops. Farewell marth, you now take roy's place because Ike's been handling business in tourney's.

I AM NOT EL KOMOSUTRO, I AM HIS BROTHER!!!
IF YOU REFER TO ME, PLEASE SAY EKOM'S BRO...
THX

Meta Nite 4 Lyfe Ya...

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I agree and disagree on various things you said. I'm not going to pick through the whole post, but I would like to say a few things. I think Meta will indeed settle on a spot in the tiers. I also have heard a lot of negative points about Sheik from people who played her in melee. MK has a lot going for him. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Orpheus

Smash Cadet
Oh thanks. Since I understood what tier mean; I agreed with Lonely Traveler. All the characters are seem pretty balanced.
Meta-knight does have great recovery and speed skills but lack in great power of KO-ing some of the characters.
Ike have strong ( mega-strong) attacks but move as slow as Bowser.

Top Bottom