• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why kirby is the bottom of the Tier

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
First of all,
let's point out that i DON'T have melee, melee is for the Ultra pros
ok lets get down,
1. Kirby Cant OR has a hard time Ledge grabbing
2. being so light
3.His hammer does 2%!!!
4. his grabs. peroid
if you own melee, almost NEVER pick kirby,
trust me, i am sad to
but atleast he is at almost the very top in 64!! :awesome:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Okay so did you just watch a meme video and decide to make a useless thread?

Welcome to 2002 when every already knew why Kirby was bottom tier.

Last edited:

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
i have no idea, i dont think he is Fighter mertrail

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
What are you talking about? Kirby is an amazing character and has so many tools. He's under developed in this meta, however I do still agree that is far from other viable characters.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
What are you talking about? Kirby is an amazing character and has so many tools. He's under developed in this meta, however I do still agree that is far from other viable characters.
in melee you are sure to some to anyone exactly anyone in F rtier

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I'm just going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about. I'd love to help you out, but please let me understand where you are confused.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I'm just going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about. I'd love to help you out, but please let me understand where you are confused.
Kirby simply is not good in Melee. There is simply no matchups for him where he can consistently win. Thats not to say he's unusable, but you cant use him in tournaments unless you are M2K. But since you are a Kirby main, I would like to know why you like him so much and think he is a viable character.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
Kirby simply is not good in Melee. There is simply no matchups for him where he can consistently win. Thats not to say he's unusable, but you cant use him in tournaments unless you are M2K. But since you are a Kirby main, I would like to know why you like him so much and think he is a viable character.
Look, my point is proven in the tread, it's hard for him to leage grab, his Side be is total WEAK his throws SUCK (pun NOT intended) trust me i want him to atleast better than pichu but it cant happen,

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
@ Cereal Rabbit Cereal Rabbit I'd suggest not wasting time on these two or this thread anymore. It's quite pointless considering their motives and apparent skill levels.

Last edited:

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
now that i think about, you just have to use him in the best way, Kirbsicide (front/back throw and inhale,) just Smash your opponent once and you should win in a way

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
@ Cereal Rabbit Cereal Rabbit I'd suggest not wasting time on these two or this thread anymore. It's quite pointless considering their motives and apparent skill levels.
....clearly no one should ever make an argument against someone because that means they are horrible at the game, because that's what you're implying. Not to mention that our argument is valid

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Well here goes nothing.

1) Kirby actually doesn't have bad recovery when you mix up his jumps and air dodge. Just don't fly back on the stage predictably and mix up your options. When I play Kirby, I always am able to find the ledge. I don't see it as a problem.

2) Very true. But Puff is lighter and look how that fares. Pichu and G&W are lighter than Kirby as well however they have enough tools to make up for that. Pichu has a great chain grab and recovery. G&W has recovery mix ups and huge hit boxes. Well Kirby has a crouch to counterweight his weight.

3) Kirby's hammer actually does 22% if you sweet spot it. This means hitting it at the tip. But the same way Falcons would never falcon kick offensively or Fox doesn't up B offensively, Kirby shouldn't be using this move. It's very situational.

4) Kirby actually has a long grab range. It's comparable to Roy/Yoshi's grab range. You can't say it sucks because there is so much magnet on it. F throw and B throw are situational. I rarely use them. Down throw may have follow ups, not guaranteed. Up throw just does like 10-11 damage with no follow ups. Then again if you look at most characters, they'll always have throws that don't have follow ups.

I rest my case. Kirby isn't viable in high levels, but he is far from bottom tier in my opinion.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I have won so many tournaments with Melee Kirby. I've also taken sets off ranked players with Kirby. Why is that? Because I have a deep understanding of competitive Melee. Kirby has a very fair match up vs Marth, Sheik, Falcon, and pretty much all the mid tiers. A little harder but possible are Young Link, Falco, Samus, and Climbers. Hard match ups are Fox, Peach, and Puff.

It really pisses me off that people have such a limited understanding of Kirby even though they've never seen a good one before. He's underdeveloped and misunderstood.

He can safely gimp deep off stage (bowser and Roy can't), he has an interest neutral game that is unique to him with crouching and dodging hits, he has shield pressure with a 4 frame up tilt and a landing hotbox on dair. Only characters I can think of who have effective shield pressure in the low tiers are Ness and G&W. His wave dash, quoting Leffen, is the best in the game. It's a 3-4 frame jump with the least landing lag and perfect range.

Yes so once again, man. Very underdeveloped and misunderstood.

Last edited:

flmo

Smash Rookie
There are absolutely a bunch of reasons (like those you listed) as to why kirby is a bottom tier character, but he also has his pros. He has multiple jumps, even if his mobility isn't the best, and his aerials are all pretty good. Everyone seems to know that his bair has a lot of priority and good knockback, but no one ever mentions his uair, which is a great kill move that can hit from a number of different angles and sends you at different angles based on when you hit them. He also has his meteor smash, can duck under a lot of characters' grabs, has his command grab that can be useful for gimps or for getting a good neutral special(falco's lasers or sheik's needles are probably the best ones), good tilts, and a good fsmash. Also, don't sleep on his grabs. Dthrow -> jab reset seems to go on forever if your opponent misses their techs, and you can tech chase with it if they do tech (although you have to make some reads cause kirby is too slow for you to solely react I believe).

Top Bottom