• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is this so frustrating?

OoohShiny

Smash Rookie
I have played Sheik a lot lately, and i mean A LOT, and still it feels like i am losing to a lot worse player. Its like i need to hit them 4-8 times for every hit they deal to me. They are at 160% and i die at ~60-70% if an attack hits me in a bad spot.
I have even better stats right now when i play robin, a character i played never before.

Whats even more interesting is that it doesnt bother me as much when i lose with Robin. I relax with her. When i play Sheik i really try to win and still lose, its like it doesnt even matter. And, when i play with Robin at least im pretty sure i lost to better enemies. But when i play Sheik its like my skill doesnt matter. Its so ... arghz.
If anybody has a tipp how to improve my mindsetting id appreciate it.
Peace,

Jackson

Smash Lord
I have played Sheik a lot lately, and i mean A LOT, and still it feels like i am losing to a lot worse player. Its like i need to hit them 4-8 times for every hit they deal to me. They are at 160% and i die at ~60-70% if an attack hits me in a bad spot.
I have even better stats right now when i play robin, a character i played never before.

Whats even more interesting is that it doesnt bother me as much when i lose with Robin. I relax with her. When i play Sheik i really try to win and still lose, its like it doesnt even matter. And, when i play with Robin at least im pretty sure i lost to better enemies. But when i play Sheik its like my skill doesnt matter. Its so ... arghz.
If anybody has a tipp how to improve my mindsetting id appreciate it.
Peace,
What kind of move is killing you that early?

OoohShiny

Smash Rookie
every stronger smash attack from the middle ground, especially smash attacks from big characters or sword carrier, sometimes even counter attacks from shulk, for example

Last edited:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why are you letting those things hit you? In addition to Sheik having a ton of mobility and very low recovery on her attacks, shield is universally a good way of not dying to big, slow attacks.

And counters are basically higher-risk, higher-reward forms of dodges. Baiting them accordingly works roughly the same as well.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yeah, avoiding those smashes are a big deal, and shouldn't be that hard.

Here's something that you could do: I don't really play Smash 4 anymore, but when I did, I played my brother a fair bit. I was always really nervous about losing to him(sibling rivalry?) and did what you do against your friend, really stressing out. I lost a lot. Eventually, I thought to myself, "Stop overthinking it, just play to have fun/learn and just go in". Now, you don't necessarily have to "go in" like I did, but just lose the stress, realize you're playing agame, and keep your mind clear. Have fun. Don't worry about getting the W, just play.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Yeah, avoiding those smashes are a big deal, and shouldn't be that hard.

Here's something that you could do: I don't really play Smash 4 anymore, but when I did, I played my brother a fair bit. I was always really nervous about losing to him(sibling rivalry?) and did what you do against your friend, really stressing out. I lost a lot. Eventually, I thought to myself, "Stop overthinking it, just play to have fun/learn and just go in". Now, you don't necessarily have to "go in" like I did, but just lose the stress, realize you're playing agame, and keep your mind clear. Have fun. Don't worry about getting the W, just play.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DONT PLAY SMASH 4?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Getting hit by big smash attacks means you're either playing too recklessly or not spacing your moves properly. Shielding more will aid your survivability, as well as DI. Watch good Sheik players and try to utilize their patterns. A few Sheik players that come to mind: Zero, Neo, Mr. R, Denti.

OoohShiny

Smash Rookie
yeah thanks, i really was too reckless. Over the last 2 weeks i improved thanks to your advice, from ~40% to ~60% (in the last 100 games). I just started to play defensiv, especially against Shulk, Marth/ike/lucina and Lil mac, and it improved my winratio against them by a big deal.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'd suggest possibly running up and shielding to bait out attacks, then punishing with a grab or smash attack (if the attack is laggy enough)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This is great. Run to shield is very safe and should be used often.
Of course, one should be careful to not overuse it, or your opponent will see it coming and grab you.

Which is why mixing it up with just running up and grabbing might be a good idea sometimes as well.

Especially with someone like Sheik, who is incredibly fast.

HmwkLater

Smash Rookie
I feel like I'm in a similar state. I played sheik numerous times, like 750 ~ 1000 games, I still happen to lose alot. I have bad habits, like attacking when I know it won't connect, and wait(?) for them to walk into my smash attacks, which gives alot of opportunities for the other player to smack the **** out of me. So when I put them into 140%, I'm the one that dies first. I gotta still learn how to space properly, learn how to fast fall properly, learn to turn around to attack (lol, I'm the type to just attack in the direction after rolling and can't hit them when they get behind me) and so on. I love to play Ike as well as Ike and has that sword range while Sheik has.... uhhh finger nail range. (and for some reason, I can't Uair after dthrowing them... they always DI away but I know I can connect it... any suggestions?)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I feel like I'm in a similar state. I played sheik numerous times, like 750 ~ 1000 games, I still happen to lose alot. I have bad habits, like attacking when I know it won't connect, and wait(?) for them to walk into my smash attacks, which gives alot of opportunities for the other player to smack the **** out of me. So when I put them into 140%, I'm the one that dies first. I gotta still learn how to space properly, learn how to fast fall properly, learn to turn around to attack (lol, I'm the type to just attack in the direction after rolling and can't hit them when they get behind me) and so on. I love to play Ike as well as Ike and has that sword range while Sheik has.... uhhh finger nail range. (and for some reason, I can't Uair after dthrowing them... they always DI away but I know I can connect it... any suggestions?)
Go into training mode and practice dthrow to auirs, and how to deal with the DI

Also dsmash is great for punishing rolls, since they usually hit both sides of a fighter.

Also throwing out fast hitboxes is not a bad idea to catch your opponent off guard, but if you do that with laggy atttacks you WILL get punished.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
when you get fristrated i reccomend playing ganondorf for a bit. feels so satisfying to get 25% on one hit.

Top Bottom