• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Is There a Stigma On Puff???

Staub

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone!

Still pretty new to Melee, but I’ve been watching Melee tourneys since December of 2018 and this year I’ve seen some wild stuff and people win with all sorts of characters at different levels of play.

This leads me to Puff. Hbox wins yesterday after losing to an unranked player, goes to loser bracket, scraps it out, gets to the final, RESETS AND WINS A HUGE MAJOR and people are just complaining non stop....

Everytime I see a puff player there are two people across the room, oh trash player, oh play a different character, ugh ruining meta etc.

It’s so dumb to me. Not every Puff camps, runs out the clock, does some wack chase some type of strat, yet everrrryone and their sidekick have something negative to say.

It’s so bad a top player just gets insane hate. Maybe it’s me being new. All I know is I think Puff is respectable. Lol

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
There’s a stigma on puff since there isn’t anyone really representing Puff, but many resort to Hbox since he’s the most popular puff player. I’m sure there are going to be many other puff players, but they are sadly not as represented as hbox is. There is a stigma since many people will assume that every puff player is going to just bair spam and spam ledge since most people would often resort to watching pro players play to learn from them. People think it’s cheap to just up throw -> rest to get an easy kill, even though it’s not. People make it seem like it’s more frustrating then getting wobbled, but I feel like wobbling should take the cake. It’s gotten to the point where someone had to throw a steamed crab at Hbox because he beat Mang0; seriously the smash community always has some ridiculous drama revolving around. And just recently there’s talk about implementing a ledge grab limit for puff, but I’m not sure if it revolves other characters.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Jigglypuff is overall one of the least flashy top-to-high tiers, as well as being a zoning character who can get easy kills off of the smallest openings. While at the same time, killing Jigglypuff is quite difficult, as she does not combo easily and is near-impossible to edgeguard. As such, she's seen as a very low-risk, high-reward character, much more so than other top tiers.

Also a factor; Hbox being a very dominant player in the last few years. Hbox is commonly the number one seed at most tournaments and is generally expected to at least make grand finals (though lately this has been somewhat less consistent). People already know Hbox can beat anyone so it's not that exciting when he does.

(Hungrybox also draws ire from people because of his personality and behavior at tournaments, which is more specific to him as a person but it probably factors in somewhat.)

Last edited:

DevindDead

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
MLMF#401
melee fans seem to hate any character who doesn't represent their vision of melee: fast, huge reads, and heavy combos. Armada got it too but not as bad as Hbox

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
melee fans seem to hate any character who doesn't represent their vision of melee: fast, huge reads, and heavy combos. Armada got it too but not as bad as Hbox
Yeah, Melee is about entertainment. The fast pace, combo heavy flashiness is what kept the game alive for so long. When you take those things away and use the least flashiest character in the game. It really beats the purpose of playing Melee over later engines like Ultimate.

Top Bottom