• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is recency considered important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Hey guys, I just wanted to start a little bit of a discussion on this topic. I wasn't really sure what to call this thread, but what I mean by this is that I often see fans arguing that a character is not "relevant" and thus shouldn't be included over other characters who are more recent. The standard case brought up here is generally Lucario and Ike getting in Brawl over Mewtwo and Roy respectively. My question is.. why is it important at all?

As we just recently saw, Olimar was confirmed as being part of the roster and not replaced by a protagonist in Pikmin 3, despite Olimar not being a main character in that game (even if he is confirmed by Miyamoto to be in Pikmin 3 in some way). This says, to me at least, exactly the opposite of the argument that a character should be replaced by the most recent main character. The only reason recency really matters is because it makes a character more well known among the fans, at least the newer fans.

In the case of Lucario, from what I gather, the Pokemon Company did push for Lucario to be added (probably because of recency), but Lucario was a popular character, also. He had been used in promotions for Diamond/Pearl and the anime. Ike might not have been the most popular Fire Emblem character, and Intelligent Systems definitely did tell Sakurai that he should add him, but I would like to point out here that Micaiah was also actually the most recent Fire Emblem main character at that time. Yes, I know Ike is also in her game, but he doesn't come until after the beginning segment of the game, and isn't really advertised as the main character. For the sake of the argument, though, we'll say that Ike was the most recent character. The point here is that, from what we can make of the evidence on the Brawl disk, they were never intended to be replacement characters. They were meant to be alongside Mewtwo and Roy in the roster. It's my assumption that the newcomers they decided to add for the series just simply got priority time in development because they were newcomers.

You can see though that this isn't always true. Sheik was included in the Brawl roster over the planned newcomer Toon Zelda (and presumably Tetra), despite the fact that Sheik hadn't been in a recent game in almost a decade at that point. For this case, I know you could make the argument that Toon Zelda could've just been a last minute almost addition, but the fact that this is true means that she was at least considered important enough to be added to the roster at one point. Another example of this is Ness and Lucas. It's been stated that Ness was supposed to be replaced by Lucas in Melee but Mother 3 was delayed/cancelled at this point (I'm not sure whether this was before its development switched to GBA). Ness wasn't removed from Brawl due to Lucas's addition to the roster as a newcomer, even though Ness hadn't been in a game since the SNES. They both made it.

My point here is, besides characters being popular because they're recent, I don't see how it can be an argument. I don't want this to be another one of the 15 Fire Emblem threads going around right now all discussing the same thing, but I want this to be saying that Chrom or Lucina being the most current main character means that he'll get on the roster over Ike, Roy, Lyn or whoever. Also that Zoroark, Genesect, the new Mewtwo or whoever will get in over Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, etc. Or that Matthew or Isa Jo will get in before Isaac or Saki. Or whatever other series character you want. Popularity seems to be the reason that characters get into Smash from games where the character roster in the series is constantly changing.

I only could see it matter if Sakurai got pressure to add characters from the game developers themselves or from higher ups. So far, it seems to have been mostly based on who the fans requested the most.

Idk that's my two cents.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
recent series =/= not important

Recent characters = important

Allow me to explain why. To get a recent or maybe even popular character ignored in the new smash game in a way means that sakurai is disproving of that character/game. I for one am not a fan of spirit tracks but sakurai added it among some of the reveal stages.He included it not because it was a great game (I wouldn't say it beat ALTP which could get a stage) but because denying it representation can be seen as giant mark of disapproval. Sakurai is not in that sort of position to tell developers that their projects were bad or even tell fans that it was bad. I suppose he could but it would be a bad idea.

To many players, adding the latest and greatest characters is understandable but adding an old character requires some justification as to why. And that justification can only lead to the new not being good enough.

Groose

Smash Champion
It's the out of sight, out of mind type of idea. If you haven't seen or heard from someone in a long time, you're unlikely to think up a moveset and such for them. Recency isn't huge, but I have to confess it probably is a factor of an unknown magnitude.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's definitely a factor that I don't believe we can measure. Certain characters may have this in their favor, others don't etc...

However, in my opinion, obscure characters from old games, such as Skull Kid, have a far less chance than a "brand new and exciting" character like Ghirahim. We have yet to see a character from an old installment of a franchise already represented show up, not to mention several characters who may fall victim to this have not been added already due to some other reasons.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Recency gets people noticed but not added.

No character is Smash Bros has been added because of recency. I doubt Sakurai will start now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Recency gets people noticed but not added.

No character is Smash Bros has been added because of recency. I doubt Sakurai will start now.
I think it's more of that no character in Smash Bros. has been added solely because of recency. As you said, recency may get Sakurai's attention, but other than that, it's probably a crap shoot.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it's more of that no character in Smash Bros. has been added solely because of recency. As you said, recency may get Sakurai's attention, but other than that, it's probably a crap shoot.
Yeah. Pretty much this.

No character has ever been added for only one factor.
I phrased it weird.

I meant no character has been added with recency being the main reason they were chosen.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Every character / series has their own case and it's really hard to compare. Like Olimar and Lucario.

Olimar might not be the star of the new game, but he will always be the guy you think about when you hear Pikmin (beside the Pikmins). Trust my word when I say that he'll be in every Smash in the future.

Lucario, on the other hand, is one of many Pokemon. He's not even the most profilic one (that being Pikachu), and he arguably just scrapes into the top 5 list. Characters like this don't get into games like Smash on merit; they need a reason to be added. In the case of Lucario, he got in because Game Freak wanted to profile him. Do they still want this, five years down the line? Doubtful.

Not saying he doesn't deserve to be in or won't be in or anything, but they're just not comparable cases.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's based off the idea that Sakurai will want to introduce characters who are currently known and in the minds of the player base. It's not going to be completely accurate (there's always one or two characters that come out of the blue) but I think in many cases it works.

Usually strong nostalgia can triumph over relevance though. Like in the case of Pit from Kid Icarus in brawl.

A character has either got a lot of nostalgia or a lot of relevance. If it has neither then it's in trouble.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Also, why does everyone call recency as "relevance"? :p
Because recency isn't a word?

Relevance
Currency
Novelty
The trouble is that all of those options have other connotations too. Maybe we should get rash and just use RECENTNESS

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Because, quite frankly, the 'relevance' argument is a giant Idiot Ball that saps speculators of any semblance of common sense they might otherwise have.

The cases that stand out most prominently in my mind, and that turned me against the argument to begin with, are Bowser Jr. and Waluigi. The moment it was known that they weren't in NSMB2 or Mario Kart 7, respectively, plenty of users went into a tizzy that they were no longer relevant, nevermind that Jr. had been in plenty of other recent games and Waluigi had the usual yearly array of sports titles to his name. People don't use relevance to measure anything of importance in relation to a character's 'chances,' they simply check a box if a character is in a new game, using their presence as a rationale for calling them 'likely,' regardless of the significance of their role. Following this train of thought, any given character has to appear in game after game to maintain relevance, because if they miss a single game, regardless of what it is or why, their 'chances' go down. There's probably some additional flawed thinking that new characters are inherently more appealing to the masses because they're new, or that characters are added on the basis of promoting new games, both of which are patently false.

I put 'chances' and 'relevance' in single quotation marks because the characters are likely all added by now, and there comes a point in development where new games will no longer hold influence over character selection, and because even though people mean 'recency' when they say 'relevance,' the latter has been repeated ad naseum to the point where the latter means the former in the eyes of many, and use of the former causes confusion.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Also, why does everyone call recency as "relevance"? :p
Because using recency as an argument looks shallow, so they try to use big fancy words to cover up the fact that recency is a bad argument.

Also, to answer the OP's question: it's because people think Smash's roster is shallow and driven by marketing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Recency is apparently an important factor because idiots like to look into patterns that don't exist, and apparently that triumphs over any sort of logic thrown out there no matter what.

I could probably blame Brawl for this mentality, or Melee with the introduction of Roy.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm with you TC.

I don't consider "recenty" as important as "legacy".
And apparently, neither does Sakurai.

When has a "recent" hero gotten over the "1st" hero in the history of SSB?

Roy was unlocked AFTER Marth.
Ike came AFTER Marth
Lucas came AFTER Ness (they probably went with Ness since he had an international release).
Pokemon Trainer 1st gen came before any other Trainer.
Toon Link came before any other TL timeline Zelda villain.
Olimar came before Pikmin 3 rep in SSB4

I actually think Micaiah is a very likely FE candidate if we have Sakurai's statements to go by. I just don't see him adding 3 swordsmen from the same franchise. Roy sort of fusing with Ike's moveset so he's not a clone, plus Micaiah being a spellcaster makes a tad more sense to me. But eh, not here to discuss rosters or FE choices.

I also don't think Matthew and Isa have a thing against Isaac and Saki. The only way I see the more recent heroes getting in would be if they're unlocked AFTER their respective fathers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When has a "recent" hero gotten over the "1st" hero in the history of SSB?

Ness over Ninten. :troll:

But in all seriousness, I agree. Adding someone/removing someone purely on the basis of recentness is a terrible ideology,

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
It's a terrible metric for franchises that don't have a rep: always expect the franchise mascot or the most famous/important protagonist. It's a much more worthy consideration (though hardly the only factor) for characters beyond a franchise's mascot, and often corresponds with other notable factors like popularity. See Roy, Ike, Ganondorf, Lucario, Lucas, Toon Link, Sheik, Pichu, and ZSS to varying degrees.

Igneous42

Smash Ace

Allow me to explain why. To get a recent or maybe even popular character ignored in the new smash game in a way means that sakurai is disproving of that character/game. I for one am not a fan of spirit tracks but sakurai added it among some of the reveal stages.He included it not because it was a great game (I wouldn't say it beat ALTP which could get a stage) but because denying it representation can be seen as giant mark of disapproval. Sakurai is not in that sort of position to tell developers that their projects were bad or even tell fans that it was bad. I suppose he could but it would be a bad idea.

To many players, adding the latest and greatest characters is understandable but adding an old character requires some justification as to why. And that justification can only lead to the new not being good enough.
Interesting I've never thought of it that way but am super guilty of assuming things in that fashion. I always was annoyed that the Metroid Prime series got pretty ignored in Smash Bros with only a lousy stage (based on the first 15 min of the game) and a few trophies. I admit I've always wondered if Sakurai's bias had to do with that either because it was developed by a US developer or if he just didn't like the the series. Realistically that probably isn't the case and if anything the only effect Retro being a US developer had was it made it harder for Sakurai to be able to ask them questions as he does for the Pokemon Company/IS.

As for the topic I think recency is a factor but not a rule just like all the factors. Smash Bros is a celebration of Nintendo and Nintendo's history, that includes past and present. As others have pointed out the first character of a series usually are revealed before the new guy/girl of the series, however even than there are exception such as Ness. If you look to games that that don't have changing protagonists there is still almost always some influence from the most recent iteration of the characters franchise. Pretty much while it's a factor it's not a rule, however that should be the view on all factors including popularity. Sakurai has his reasons for choosing characters and it probably is, to a degree, on a case by case basis.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Just read this and want to express my disagreement. By that logic, Sakurai has already disrespected not only a great wealth of recent games, but entire series as well (Wario Land comes to mind).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Recency is a factor, but it's only one out of many, and not a top priority one at all. It's under the boot of at least importance, popularity and moveset potential to name some.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I think it matters with pokemon, maybe not replacing them, but adding in new ones. I doubt that when they were picking the characters for sm4sh, they were thinking "ok, we need to add in scizor, he takes way more priority then zoroark or the new mewtwo form"

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Recency is a factor, but it's only one out of many, and not a top priority one at all. It's under the boot of at least importance, popularity and moveset potential to name some.
I honestly don't think moveset potential is really that important as Sakurai has come up with movesets for characters most people would assume didn't have much potential like Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Villager and Wii Fit trainer. I guess a better way to phrase it is I agree it is important to Sakurai, but I think any fans using it as a reason a character shouldn't be in is total BS reasoning. If Sakurai wants a character he can make them fun and unique he's done so in the past.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
recency matter because the smash games tends to reflect the history of the previous generation. Look no further than the Zelda series to see how it works. OOT was heavily reflected into 64 (Link), and a mix of OOT and MM was reflected in Melee (Termina Bay, and all OOT Characters), and TP and WW making up the characters and stages of Brawl. 4 has both elements of SS (stage) and TP so far (remember TP was the first Zelda to be a launch title with the Wii). It matters more with returning series rather than new ones, and affects the reps of that series.

Recency is just one fact that comes with a multitude of other factors. It's debatable how much it weighs, since it applies to series differently. Generational series such as FE and Pokemon appear to me more heavily affected at this point. Mother would probably be affected if it had more releases in the series.

Recency isn't the right word because it means at the same time or before. A proper idea would be Smash is affected by releases and games around the time of the Smash game, the generation before and slightly after.

But I have to say popularity isnt as large a factor as everyone is claiming with this most recent iteration (so far). The two of the third party characters were added for that reason, but those polls that they used were specifically designed for third party characters. Ridley has repeatedly not got into Smash despite being one of the most popular choices.

And I have yet to read anything indicating that Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Zelda, etc were meant to be playable with all (or even most) members of the current roster. The roster was finalized in 2006 (minus Sonic) without these characters on the roster, according to Sakurai. You can argue that Sakurai might be lying, but there's nothing to strongly indicate that he was. If you go off that argument, there's also no point in believing anything he's saying now (including about cuts). There's also nothing to indicate that they would have included these characters with more time. All of these outcomes are possibilities, but the data that we have currently suggest otherwise. If anyone has any data suggesting otherwise, I would happily see it and change my point of view.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think there actually was an interview in one of the issues of the Official Nintendo Magazine where Sakurai stated that there were more characters he wanted to include into Brawl but couldn't due to time constraints if I recall correctly.

As for the whole recency debacle. I honestly don't how important they are but I'm fairly certain they do play some kind of role into this. How much in terms of characters I'm not sure though.

When it comes to Isaac vs Matthew it could go either way. Both have pros and cons.

However in the Saki vs Isa Jo battle, I will always go for Isa Jo. I believe he makes the most sense now.

Saki does not compare to Isaac.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
In the case of Lucario, from what I gather, the Pokemon Company did push for Lucario to be added (probably because of recency), but Lucario was a popular character, also. He had been used in promotions for Diamond/Pearl and the anime. Ike might not have been the most popular Fire Emblem character, and Intelligent Systems definitely did tell Sakurai that he should add him, but I would like to point out here that Micaiah was also actually the most recent Fire Emblem main character at that time. Yes, I know Ike is also in her game, but he doesn't come until after the beginning segment of the game, and isn't really advertised as the main character. For the sake of the argument, though, we'll say that Ike was the most recent character. The point here is that, from what we can make of the evidence on the Brawl disk, they were never intended to be replacement characters. They were meant to be alongside Mewtwo and Roy in the roster. It's my assumption that the newcomers they decided to add for the series just simply got priority time in development because they were newcomers.
Radiant Dawn Spoilers

Micaiah is basically a decoy protagonist in the game. It's a common trope in popular culture. By the end of the game, the story's focus moves back to Ike.

With an unrepresented franchise, the representation can go either way. To me Saki and Isa Jo as well as Isaac and Matthew are very much interchangeable. If they get in, it's more important that the series gets represented rather than the individual characters.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The recency argument really on makes sense for franchises that already have representation (i,e. the need to add a new move to a character like Mario's FLUDD or to add a newer character in a game's franchise like adding Diddy Kong to DK universe reps). And even then, it's still a weak argument. For an unrepresented franchise the argument falls flat due to differing people preferring differing games in a franchise. Plus, Sakurai just adds who he wants sometimes (Like Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B. [who was an NES relic - bon voyage recency argument] and Pit [who he added due to his rebooting of the franchise, but that was years off]).
And I specifically remember Sakurai saying he was going to add older characters.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Fundamentally, it's not important.

Marketing also ..
Neither is this. If SSB exists to sell anything, it's copies of SSB. There's no evil underlying marketing agenda. People hugely overreacted to the inclusion of Roy in Melee. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom