• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Luigi's airspeed lower than Mac's, when it would make sense for it to be the opposite?

Which would make more sense?

• Luigi with low airspeed

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Luigi with high airspeed

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Weegee wit meedeeum erespid

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
This isn't a problem, but it makes no sense. It's almost as stupid a speed decision as arthritic-run-speed Dr Mario. Seriously, Luigi looks more fit than Mario, who has ridiculous airspeed. I personally think it would make more sense for him to have higher airpeed. Low airspeed, fine. Second lowest in the game? Wow thx. Not to mention if you're caught under the stage without a second jump and you're not extremely close to the ledge, you simply die despite extreme floatiness, unlike many other characters with objectively worse recovery than Luigi.

This isn't something I think that needs to happen. I simply think it's something that would make sense. do you?

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Balance. Luigi with airspeed is busted
Maybe not. He'd still have weaknesses that pros could abuse. If he gets Yoshi airspeed however, that's a different story. What I meant wasn't high airspeed (although it makes more sense), just actual airspeed. it's kinda obnoxious when Mac can look down onto you in that department.

Oh and I just remembered the QA thread. Dammit.

Last edited:

louie g

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, his slow airspeed does help with combos, if he moved any faster it'd be really easy to overextend and miss a lot of connects. Not to mention how precise you have to be in order to hit them with an Up B in the air.

Luigi-man

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yassinius
3DS FC
5284-1979-1070
That's just a trait characteristic to luigi. There are some Mario games in which Luigi also has a lower airspeed than Mario.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That's just a trait characteristic to luigi. There are some Mario games in which Luigi also has a lower airspeed than Mario.
Was that in Super Mario Bros. 2 or 3D World? Luigi's flutter jump had something to do with it where he gains vertical height and "glides" slowly back to the ground unlike Mario who has a regular jump and fall or Peach and her Float or Toad and his low jumps, but faster ground mobility.

Falco has one of the slower horizontal air speed characters alongside Luigi, but has the third fastest fall speed and fourth fastest fast-fall speed. Even though Falco's a pheasant and pheasants are capable of flying, it would be ridiculous if he had the highest jump, third fast fall speed, fourth fast fast-fall speed, and good aerial mobility. He would be gliding in and out with Uairs, Nairs, and Bairs. It might even make his Dair start-up meaningless since he could start it and move above someone quickly.

It's pretty much balance at this point. If Little Mac had Ganondorf's jump heights... actually, make that the multiple jumps of Pit and Kirby - the short jumps that make up a good total jump height -, Shulk's Shield Art horizontal aerial mobilty, and he had Fox's fall speed, then Little Mac would be even worse in the air. You'd just have to throw him, he'd drop like a rock, move barely an inch towards the ledge, second jump pitifully, and die. Whereas right now, he still has some hope to grab that ledge. He even has a good wall-jump compared to Dr. Mario of all people.

I would have liked Luigi to be able to wall-jump, but it would make wall-jump, Luigi Cyclone, and Super Jump Punch even better for vertical recovery.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
This really conflicts me. On one side, Luigi's air speed does help with combos, on the other side, it makes him has really bad mobility.

He is even slower than freaking Ganondorf..... which doesn't make sense.

Take a look, Rosalina, Kirby, Peach, and Jigglypuff have higher air speed despit being FLOATIER.

Well, Kirby and Jiggly, can understand. Kirby is as slow as hell in Triple Deluxe. Rosalina and Peach? WTF?

I honestly think he should has higher air speed, but not fast enough to shot him through his opponents during comboing. I mean, slow air speed? Okay. 2nd slowest? Now what the ****?

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Having a fast air speed shouldn't affect his combo game, if anything it should make it even better. Yes it's easy to overextend but with practice, this shouldn't be an issue.
Luigi with air speed would be pretty busted, though. His aerials come out incredibly quickly as is, combine that with good air speed as well as a decent ground speed, mixed with an incredibly broken down throw..he'd be god tier lol.

His low air speed is a weakness that's been present in every smash game. And for good reason, so it's fine as is.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Having a fast air speed shouldn't affect his combo game, if anything it should make it even better. Yes it's easy to overextend but with practice, this shouldn't be an issue.

Luigi with air speed would be pretty busted, though. His aerials come out incredibly quickly as is, combine that with good air speed as well as a decent ground speed, mixed with an incredibly broken down throw..he'd be god tier lol.

His low air speed is a weakness that's been present in every smash game. And for good reason, so it's fine as is.
Nah. We all know the only broken thing in Smash 4 is the infamous 'De trow up aer'.

That aside, personally, I want Luigi with a higher air speed, but not so fast that he is as fast as Yoshi, but a slightly higher air speed that isn't the second worst. I mean, we now have him slower than freaking Ganon..... just.... just WTF!?

Look at Mario. His air speed rised from 19th Brawl to 6th Smash 4. Yeah, I know his airspeed doesn't suck since the beginning, but buffing it to 6th is pretty much rolling dice. I want an average speed Mario, not a frekken' fast one that come out of nothing.

Yeah, I know buffing Luigi's air speed to something around ZSS or something would be as outrageous as giving Smash 4 Ganon Captain Falcon's speed, but hey, if it's a little faster, I don't see the harm.

Top Bottom