• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Link still based off his TP look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Shouldn't he be based off Skyward Sword now? His clothes are completely identical to his TP look, and his items (Gale Boomerang, Bombs) are also still from Twilight Princess. Zelda should keep her Twilight Princess look though, since she is not a princess in Skyward Sword, and also because Sheik hasn't been seen since Ocarina of Time and she is still getting visual upgrades.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He's based on both. He has the pants/boots style of the SS Link, but I think SS Link doesn't really fit as well as the TP and OoT Links would.

At the very least, Zelda (and obviously Ganondorf) fit much better as their Twilight Princess incarnations, so it probably didn't make sense to Sakurai to make the three main characters to have very different designs. SS Link next to TP Zelda/Dorf would look a little odd, so I can see it as a stylistic choice.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
He's based on both. He has the pants/boots style of the SS Link, but I think SS Link doesn't really fit as well as the TP and OoT Links would.

At the very least, Zelda (and obviously Ganondorf) fit much better as their Twilight Princess incarnations, so it probably didn't make sense to Sakurai to make the three main characters to have very different designs. SS Link next to TP Zelda/Dorf would look a little odd, so I can see it as a stylistic choice.
Pretty sure his boots and pants come from TP Link. Look at SS Link, his boots are much shorter and less detailed, also his pants are very thick and baggy. SSB4 Link looks exactly like TP Link, with a slightly brighter colour palette.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Because Ganondorf.

He isn't in SS so they would have to completely redesign him to fit Skyward Sword style for him not to stick out.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well, SS Link's model is basically taken from TP but with a couple of minor differences. It's pretty much the art direction that makes them look a little different but they are pretty much the same.

And I think they made the smartest choice. When TP Link was introduced to the world, pretty much everyone agreed that is the definitive design for the Adult Link, it's appearance was a step forward from the Ocarina of Time one.
Link is a good example of character art evolution done right.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
No he is full TP through and through especially his boots and wrist guard which have an ornate design on them that wasnt in SS at all. He is based on the artwork of TP more than anything, which is why it looks far better then that games in game model.

Because Ganondorf.

He isn't in SS so they would have to completely redesign him to fit Skyward Sword style for him not to stick out.
This is pretty much the most likely reason, and also it was probably done to keep the 3 consistent with eachother.

Well, SS Link's model is basically taken from TP but with a couple of minor differences. It's pretty much the art direction that makes them look a little different but they are pretty much the same.
Its not the same character model though, there are some aspects that carried over in his design but they did not use it as a base. His hair isnt even the same mesh or style, the devil is in the details and they are very different.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Even making Zelda into the SS style would've been weird as hell since it's probably her least combative role. Not even a princess actually.

I don't think Link was left TP to make them all fit though, since he could've easily been based on SS and then have Ganondorf remain mostly TP with some creative upgrades, much like Sheik isn't a direct OoT model but rather OoT inspired. I think more than anything Sakurai just liked TP Link most in terms of what Link "usually" looks like.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Its not the same character model though, there are some aspects that carried over in his design but they did not use it as a base. His hair isnt even the same mesh or style, the devil is in the details and they are very different.
Oh indeed, the details is where it starts to differ. Though I have to disagree on the other part, base model is still the same. Even the shape and main color of the hair; it's mainly the art style of each other that makes them stand out a bit differently.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Oh indeed, the details is where it starts to differ. Though I have to disagree on the other part, base model is still the same. Even the shape and main color of the hair; it's mainly the art style of each other that makes them stand out a bit differently.
The shape of the hair is different as well, just look even their body proportions around the chest and arm length are different. The details are all within the character design and art direction so thats not really part of what im getting at, which is the model mesh itself with all its polygons.

In a high profile zelda title they would not reuse and or just change the mesh of an existing model (except in MM which makes sense for the 1 year they had to make it). Different animations and actions call for different rigging which in most cases many dont work well when not originally designed around it. Its not the same, they went for an overall design that felt familiar but they did not port over his model.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The shape of the hair is different as well, just look even their body proportions around the chest and arm length are different. The details are all within the character design and art direction so thats not really part of what im getting at, which is the model mesh itself with all its polygons.

In a high profile zelda title they would not reuse and or just change the mesh of an existing model (except in MM which makes sense for the 1 year they had to make it). Different animations and actions call for different rigging which in most cases many dont work well when not originally designed around it. Its not the same, they went for an overall design that felt familiar but they did not port over his model.
Certainly; though I never stated that one model was ported from one game to another (should have clarified that when I said "taken from") but is evident that the SS one was based off the one from TP. The "mold" is identical while the small differences are evident.
Is a different scenario from what happened between Adult OoT Link and TP Link where the design was changed drastically.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
For Smash 4 they just took the brighter colors of SS Link and the minute nuances of TP Link, and mixed them together into a generic, universally representative Link. Them using the gale boomerang seemed logical since SS had no boomerang and it is a unique twist on a very otherwise cliched item.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
It's mostly in the art style I think. Though I am kinda bummed Zelda is not in her skywards sword style, that's my favorite zelda

andimidna

Smash Master
Because it's the better design and Zelda U is gonna be a sequel to Twilight Princess ;)

For Smash 4 they just took the brighter colors of SS Link
Explain why everybody else has brighter colors, Skyward Sword influence as well?
No, it's just the art-style of the game.

This is a bright, HD Twilight Princess Link.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Because of Ganondorf, why mix a lot of diferent styles when you can go with the 3 of them having the same style

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Because of Ganondorf, why mix a lot of diferent styles when you can go with the 3 of them having the same style
Practical reasons for sure. It makes more sense than having 3 characters from their own games clash with their art styles.

Morbi

Scavenger
Because Ganondorf.

I never even realized that that was the reason. I suppose it makes sense; it isn't as though Ganondorf isn't going to get a brighter color pallet, he will look slightly different... just as the others do. I assume Link's costume might be Skyward Sword related, I mean, there isn't that big of a difference, but I presume Zelda is going to get the Skyward Sword costume as it is vastly different.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Artistically, Twilight Princess is the best game in the series in my opinion. He's visibly lost some of the TP style, I think they wanted the change to be incremental rather than overly dramatic.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
What if the Link and Zelda they've been showing us are really TP alt. costumes, and the real models are Zelda U based? It sounds a bit farfetched, but it's possible.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Perhaps if Hyrule Warriors came out last year, that design might have been used for Link.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Perhaps if Hyrule Warriors came out last year, that design might have been used for Link.
Good thing... I'm not too big on his HW look.

I think it might just be the scarf... maybe just the color of the scarf honestly because the Pre-Skyward Sword Link looks awesome.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I guess the art syle of Skyward Sword leaned too much to Wind Waker, and having the TP art style made things less redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom