• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Falcon's tech-roll so bad?

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Hey, so I've been looking at the frame data of other characters' tech-rolls as well, and all of them seem to take the same 40 frames to complete. So I know that Falcon's tech-rolls aren't very long, but why do people say it's so laggy?

I got all the frame data from Magus's "Detailed Throws, Techs, and Getups Frame Data" Thread (sorry, cant post links yet)

Thanks.

KrustyKurt

Smash Cadet
this is a very good question and understanding the answer reveals alot about the nature of tech chasing

Captain Falcon's tech roll is garbage for two reasons
1) it covers very little distance which means that characters with low speed don't have to worry about trekking the whole stage, as well as making the "leeway" for reacting to a specific tech option a bit greater.

2) Captain Falcon throws a "tell" revealing which way he is going sooner in the animation sooner than other characters. I do not have the data in front of me, but i believe it is about 5 or 6 frames sooner than the space animals offer a similar tell. This means that you have an extra 10th of a second or so to react. A tenth of a second, in this case, is the difference between being very challenging (Tech chasing spacies on reaction) and mildly challenging (tech chasing falcon on reaction.

Any sheik main in the world will agree with this even if they didn't know the frame data

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
2) Captain Falcon throws a "tell" revealing which way he is going sooner in the animation sooner than other characters. I do not have the data in front of me, but i believe it is about 5 or 6 frames sooner than the space animals offer a similar tell. This means that you have an extra 10th of a second or so to react. A tenth of a second, in this case, is the difference between being very challenging (Tech chasing spacies on reaction) and mildly challenging (tech chasing falcon on reaction.

Any sheik main in the world will agree with this even if they didn't know the frame data
This is also a big reason that Mewtwo's tech roll is so bad. Even though his tech roll covers a long distance, Mewtwo can be easily tech chased because he indicates which way he will tech and takes a long time to get from point A to point B.

Top Bottom