• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Is Everyone Hatin' On Ike???!?!??!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yo~Yo

Smash Cadet
though there were 3 days of e4A and people did play as ike...i dont think three days was enough time to learn how to use him properly...(btw i dont give a crap about tier its the player not the game)
something people prolly dont realize is that i doubt "pro players" got as good as they are in 3 days with their mains -_-

Syzygy

Smash Apprentice
First of all this will prob get closed because of all the other threads just like it.

But either way, I think you're right. Ike's definitely not top tier, but 4 days isn't enough to dismiss him to crappiness. There will no doubt be changes before the final product, and they haven't even explored certain aspects of his game, primarily Super Armor. That could make a huge difference in his game.

Ike will no doubt be hard to play... but that's no reason not to give him a try.

Yo~Yo

Smash Cadet
It's probably gonna take someone like Gimpy to play him good in 1 vs. 1 though.
sorry...gimpy may be good.....but im pretty sure gimpy is like...anti ike....i always see his posts against ike......and bowser isnt bad 1vs.1 i can do it pretty well....so i dont get why its so amazing that gimpy can

though there were 3 days of e4A and people did play as ike...i dont think three days was enough time to learn how to use him properly...(btw i dont give a crap about tier its the player not the game)
something people prolly dont realize is that i doubt "pro players" got as good as they are in 3 days with their mains -_-
Ok, first and foremost, tiers do exist, and they are a very significant part of playing a game whether you beleive it or not. Characters can only go so far without being bound to their limitations.

Secondly, Ike is garbage. Sure, we didn't get enough time to use him, but what is there to learn beyong his moves and some of his character specific traits? Beyond that, you get nothing but techniques that every character can use. We aren't saying that we mastered Ike, it's just that he is the only character in the Demo that couldn't make progress as a good character. Even if it was possible to master his moveset, there is no possible way to make him effective enough to land hits at will or in a consecutive manner. Most characters such as Bowser or Ganon have moves that can be used for safe approaches and come out fairly fast. Ike doesn't have moves that allow him to attack safely; A tank that can't hit anything. And don't even mention the super armor frames, because they only exist on his Aether so far.

Think about it, if others were able to make progress with their characters and play them effectively, but others were not, don't you think that there is a problem with the character? I played with Pit, MetaKnight, Mario and Fox and E For All(I made the most progress with Fox despite his nerf), and did fairly well with them through out the convention, but Ike is so horrificly slow that you couldn't imagine how painful it was just to do a simple tilt.

sorry...gimpy may be good.....but im pretty sure gimpy is like...anti ike....i always see his posts against ike......and bowser isnt bad 1vs.1 i can do it pretty well....so i dont get why its so amazing that gimpy can
Ike is one of Gimpy's favorite characters, and one of mine as well considering that I love Fire Emblem. Ike is bad, and he can't be compared to Bowser in any way.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Gimpyfish isn't anti-Ike. He stated that he wants Ike to be good, he just can't see how he could be. The main thing getting in the way for Gimpyfish is Ike's lag, which he claims is much worse then Bowser's ever was.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Eternal pheonix Fire just about summed it up. It's not that he, I, and the rest that have the same mindset about us hate Ike. I even want to main Ike. It's just that he sucks for now and should he keeps his stats, he'll still suck. We just don't let our bias blind us from the truth.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
we all love ike, but its just the fact that he most likely wont be a good character that makes us bash him. much like the roy forums.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
we all love ike, but its just the fact that he most likely wont be a good character that makes us bash him. much like the roy forums.
great analogy. but yeah, if Ike were better then everyone would love him like they do Marth. if Marth was worse then Roy, they'd view him as "the annoying effeminate clone of Roy who comes from such an outdated FE game."

Epok

Smash Ace
I think Ike isn't bad, he's just not overpowered like marth. i think he is more balanced which means that others characters can compete now (easier, i wont go into player skill levels) that wouldn't be able to compete in melee so easily. i think the game in all is more balanced so the tiers are gonna be a little bit harder to determine. i think ike will be good in brawl but i will agree if he was in melee he would be as good/bad as roy. but since the game seems so balanced as of right now he will be able to compete just fine. Ike doesn't suck

TengenToppaDrill

Smash Apprentice
Your mom's house... Calgary Alberta, Canada, Earth
Ok, first and foremost, tiers do exist, and they are a very significant part of playing a game whether you beleive it or not. Characters can only go so far without being bound to their limitations.

Secondly, Ike is garbage. Sure, we didn't get enough time to use him, but what is there to learn beyong his moves and some of his character specific traits? Beyond that, you get nothing but techniques that every character can use. We aren't saying that we mastered Ike, it's just that he is the only character in the Demo that couldn't make progress as a good character. Even if it was possible to master his moveset, there is no possible way to make him effective enough to land hits at will or in a consecutive manner. Most characters such as Bowser or Ganon have moves that can be used for safe approaches and come out fairly fast. Ike doesn't have moves that allow him to attack safely; A tank that can't hit anything. And don't even mention the super armor frames, because they only exist on his Aether so far.

Think about it, if others were able to make progress with their characters and play them effectively, but others were not, don't you think that there is a problem with the character? I played with Pit, MetaKnight, Mario and Fox and E For All(I made the most progress with Fox despite his nerf), and did fairly well with them through out the convention, but Ike is so horrificly slow that you couldn't imagine how painful it was just to do a simple tilt.

Ike is one of Gimpy's favorite characters, and one of mine as well considering that I love Fire Emblem. Ike is bad, and he can't be compared to Bowser in any way.
Before calling Ike garbage play both his games and understand that is not the creation at fault, but the creator. Sakurai seems to always screw up the fire emblem characters. Ike should have been spectacular, yet his lag is unacceptable.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Ike can kill most characters at around 50%, but the only problem with that is all of his moves are as laggy as a Bowser F-Smash.

Before calling Ike garbage play both his games and understand that is not the creation at fault, but the creator. Sakurai seems to always screw up the fire emblem characters. Ike should have been spectacular, yet his lag is unacceptable.
Why would me playing both of the games be relevant to me? I don't care about why he isn't good, because I still have the benifit of a doubt in my mind.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yea, in terms of stats and quality, each characters own games mean nothing. This is because each game universe is scaled differently. Example:

Mewtwo sucks, like, the big one. But in the actual Pokemon universe, he could make your head explode with a thought (anime) and is a top-stat hog in the older Pokemon games (not sure about new ones).

EPF, you don't have to play Ike's games. And trust me, you'd be doing yourself a favor by not. [And no one say I don't know what I'm talking about, I OWN and have PLAYED both.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom