• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't Sheiks transform to recover?

Smash Master
I've noticed that in many videotaped matches, as Sheik is too far off the stage for her own Up-B to allow her to make it, the Sheik player doesn't transform to Zelda to reach the stage/ledge. Why not? I understand that edgeguarding will probably kill the Zelda anyway, but it's better than no chance of recovery whatsoever (providing your opponent doesn't help you recover:) ). Are the two seconds of invulnerability gained after dying (to transform back) more important to the Sheik than the chance to survive?

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
I thought there was a topic like this before?

Most figure that they will still be killed if they change to Zelda through edgeguarding. Most can't play well as Zelda even if they did survive. You lose your invincibility from dying as soon as you start to transform back to Shiek, so they can get a free attack/combo/rest in. Thats why people dont find it worthwhile.

Having said all that, you may as well try it on the last stock, because you have nothing to lose (because you don't have another stock for them to combo you on when you try and change back to Shiek). Also if you get hit miles away and in the air, you could transform to Zelda, float slowly down, then change back to Shiek to teleport.

The best shiek you'll see transform to Zelda is Cpt. Jack. Because he can use Zelda well and has the DI to survive being edgeguarded as Zelda. But still, he hardly does it that regularly.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Unless you can teleport far enough from the edge where the opponent can't easily ledge hog and kill you, there's no reason to because you lose your invicibility frames when you come back to life. Some Sheiks like Omar do it every now and then, and some never do it. I do it rarely, when it is pretty obvious it will work. Dreamland and Battlefield are the stages I usually do it on.

Smash Master
Got it. Didn't know you lost your invincibility after beginning the transfromation. Thanks.

Luma

Smash Lord
well, if ur di is good enough and the stage is big enough (like DL64) u can transform to zelda, transform back, jump, up+b as shiek

Banksya

Smash Ace
you can get ***** when you return...zelda sucks. also if you transform right when you get back you lose invincibility and probly will get pwned or at least butt combo'd if your opponent is any good.

path411

Smash Cadet
zelda may suck, but her up+b is godly, I usually will risk losing my invincibility frames if it will probably save an entire stock.

usually just sweetspot the edge w/ zelda then down+b, up+b back to the ledge as shiek

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm with Path changing into Zelda is worth it if you know that there a chance you might recover. On the flip side Zelda is much better at defense then Sheik so dieing as her isn't that bad once you get the hang of Zelda and if there smart and don’t come to you then put a safe distance between you and your enemy so you can switch back.

brickman

Smash Lord
I think the main problem people have with transforming into Zelda is:

1. They don't have her ledge tech down so if they do manage to transform into her and get to the edge, they don't know how to survive and defend themselves.
-The drawback of this dying is that trying to transform back into sheik gets rid of your invulnerability at the start of a new stock.
2. People in general do not know how to play Zelda. A basic knowledge of Zelda, more than just the "Zelda Kick", is important into recovering with Zelda and giving yourself enough distance and time to transform back into Sheik.
3. Most Sheik players also do not know the distance of Zelda's get back so they have a difficult time gaging at what angle, and how far they should be in order to get the edge. Having the distancing down is a very crucial step, along with knowing her angles and timing.

Having a complete mastery of both parts of this character is essential to having an effective game.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I think the main problem people have with transforming into Zelda is:

1. They don't have her ledge tech down so if they do manage to transform into her and get to the edge, they don't know how to survive and defend themselves.
-The drawback of this dying is that trying to transform back into sheik gets rid of your invulnerability at the start of a new stock.
2. People in general do not know how to play Zelda. A basic knowledge of Zelda, more than just the "Zelda Kick", is important into recovering with Zelda and giving yourself enough distance and time to transform back into Sheik.
3. Most Sheik players also do not know the distance of Zelda's get back so they have a difficult time gaging at what angle, and how far they should be in order to get the edge. Having the distancing down is a very crucial step, along with knowing her angles and timing.

Having a complete mastery of both parts of this character is essential to having an effective game.
This is exactly why I don't; I will, the vast majority of the time, just die as Zelda, so it accomplishes nothing.

sheikattack

Smash Cadet
There are only three circumstances when you should transform:

1. Your opponent is terrible at edgeguarding and you have an almost sure chance of surviving.

2. You play Zelda well (like Capt. Jack).

3. It is your last stock (nothing to lose...).

Otherwise, yes, the moments of invulnerability are much better than Zelda's recovery.

Sheik_the_Geek

Smash Journeyman
I can actually come up with a few more reasons why it can server some purpose to tranfsom to zelda:

- Store needles as sheik then transform (if you have some skill wth zelda and can get a break to transfom back)

- Its a stage with platforms you can get too as zelda you otherwise couldnt as sheik (so you dont get edge guarded)

- blast them with dynn's fire on your last stock :laugh:

Top Bottom