• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why dont people abuse shine? Here are some useful shine techniques.

theMayonator

Smash Rookie
obviously shine isnt as useful as it is in melee, but there are so many jump-cancel shine (JCS) techniques that we really dont use enough:

so as most of you know the way JCS works is if fox does a shine in the air and touches the ground while still in the shine it was disappear with no endlag, if you do a shine immediately after jumping shine will cancel your momentum and put you back on the ground.

we've all seen that one clip of HanSolo getting an awesome shield break with shine but how many of us could actually do that in tourney?
considering the amount of scenarios this could be pulled off is insane and makes the technical executions worth it.

"Waveshine"
as we all know fox cant actually waveshine per se but with the quick JCS-dash-JCS this is just a nerfed version of melees waveshine. Some of you are probably think "but you can just tech after the shine its not a true combo" and yes i agree with you but against a standing opponent its very hard to tech on reaction.

this is something that i definitely use more than other foxes but using a turn around JCS you can essentially do an infinitely extended pivot that is potentially faster than a normal one plus it has a hitbox and frame 1 invincibility.
its common knowledge that once you reach a specific ground speed your initial jump loses some height but with a JCS you can easily get a full-height aerial from a run and you can even turn the shine around to do a back-air, the only disadvantage to this is it leaves you with zero momentum after the shine. Something i like to do is run away then do a turnaround JCS double laser.

the last technique i have is pretty much foxes version of yoshis dj onto a platform while rising. this is probably the hardest tech here but it can be super useful in certain combo scenarios. Its pretty straight forward but if you shine at a specific height the momentum cancel from shine will allow you to shine cancel onto the platform. a good scenario to use this is if you were to hit a SH uair at high percent you wont be able to get a follow-up, but if you use this technique you can use the platform to extend your height and potentially get a kill with uair. at mid-high percents below the top platform you can hit an uair then cancel the shine onto the platform for sometimes an early kill with usmash.

thanks for reading this whole thing and if you have some usefuls shine techs you would like to share or have any comments/disagreements post them in the comments. cya bois.

SuperSqank

Smash Rookie
My guess is that because Shine is extremely difficult to utilise to its fullest. That shield break combo you mentioned requires you to be perform frame perfect shines every time. Even if you perform the Shine one frame too late, it won't work.

theMayonator

Smash Rookie
My guess is that because Shine is extremely difficult to utilise to its fullest. That shield break combo you mentioned requires you to be perform frame perfect shines every time. Even if you perform the Shine one frame too late, it won't work.
thats true however you dont necessarily need a true shield break it can put on some insane pressure even without frame perfect inputs

Annex

Smash Ace
Shoutouts to HanSolo. I miss that guy a lot

I guess I'd add that shinecancelling to the top plat is much faster than the instant doublejump (which happens to be a perfect land). Maybe I'll lab just how much faster it is. Obviously the downside is that you can't do an aerial while you're ascending, so the application might be a bit niche. It's very cool though

Top Bottom