• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't many people use the Side Special Spike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Seriously, you still get to recover after using it so there's hardly any punishment to side-special off-edge so i don't understand why i don't see many Falcos using it.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
A lot of them don't feel it's a safe option, and they'd be right, honestly. It really is easily punishable. It puts you in the offstage game if it whiffs, and if that isn't dangerous, I don't know what is. Even on hit, some people have survived it against me, so I generally just avoid it in favour of F-air gimps and such.

Not only that, but his D-air spike is stronger, so if it's a spike you're looking for as Falco, his is still as good as ever. Sure his side-B is easier to set up, but a lot of the time it just feels like a risk that might go unrewarded. I've tried it time to time, and that thing looks so much harder to hit than it looks, I might aswell just edgeguard (They ain't worth the trouble.). It's a nice little extra to Falco's game for me, but it's far from amazing or anything.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's always been more of a way to punish an overeager edge-guard than being one itself.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
It's definitely not as good of a spike as dair, and the fact that the hitbox ends 2/3 of the way through the animation hurts it as well. If you land it, props, but the travel distance required and the sweetspotting needed makes it a dangerous option.

You'd be better off with fair, bair, or even offstage laser most of the time.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
It is a good option but at higher level play it's a big risk. You'd still be able to recover yes but Falco's jump to up b recovery is very vulnerable to spikes ie captain falcon. I know from previous experience lol. It's good to use but not much

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It's situational, telegraphed enough people can see it, and it's risky since Falco's not invincible during the move, but the speed makes up for that like Fox during Fox Illusion.

Can it be done? Absolutely; just like landing a Falcon or Warlock Punch or Luigi's spike taunt, but it's one of the less reliable kill moves. Fair and Bair are more reliable for gimping, killing, and stage spiking. Maybe even Uair can gimp and/or stage spike and I have gimped someone with Nair before. Dair is a much stronger spike, but it's still situational like Captain Falcon and Ganondorf's spikes, except a bit safer because of its power and because the late hit can still do some damage and knockback while Falco Phantasm is hit or miss.

Anyway, we already have a thread on Falco Phantasm: http://smashboards.com/threads/phantasm-spike.380354/.

Specifically, we have Bonk!'s little trick and hard read after F-throw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lGSyxyPYl9Q. Speaking of which, F-throw to Falco Phantasm does combo early on. And we have Snipnigth's Falco Phantasm to ledge spikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ffJebEF8dQs.

There's also the general discussion and Q/A thread which you could have asked: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-king-of-the-birds-game-play-discussion-q-a.367184/. So, I'll be locking this thread now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom