• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Does Virtual PC 2007 Suck?

Del Money

Smash Champion
i purposely upgraded my laptop from Windows 98 SE to XP Professional since i figured i wouldnt be losing all my old games and other apps that arent compatible with XP because of a handy (and free) application called Microsoft (formerly Connectix-owned) Virtual PC 2007. it basically is supposed to create a virtual machine capable of running an operating system on it. this was theoretically my solution because now i could install Windows 98 SE on a virtual machine and play all my old games with Windows XP Professional still running in the background on my physical machine. and i wouldnt have to dualboot 98SE with XP Professinal.

but now heres where i get pissed. after successfully installing Windows 98SE on the virtual machine i realize i keep consistently getting "Windows Protection Error" thus causing me to always have to reboot the virtual machine. makes no sense how a virtual machine could be corrupt after installing a genuine copy of Windows 98SE on it.

if that wasnt worse, heres the real hitch. the virtual machine shares the same processor configuration as the physical machine. and the amount of RAM you can set to the virtual machine is adjustable and is only limited by how much RAM is currently not in use by the CPU. but the sound card is a fixed type (Creative Labs something or another). the video card is automatically set to an S3 Trio with 4MB of video memory and theres no USB support. now these i could deal with. and plus the video memory becomes upgraded to 8MB is you install the virtual machine upgrade. i figured none of my older games required more than 8MB of video mem anyhoo so there wasnt a real problem...or so i thought. i install the virtual machine upgrade and my video memory amount DROPS to 2.5MB. as if thats not bad enough, the "Windows Protection Error" are 5 times more frequent.

right now, im so pissed i just think ill stick to dualbooting

what the hell is wrong with this software? any input?

Del Money

Smash Champion
yes, i've heard VMWare is a better alternative to Virtual PC but is the whole thing free? or am i gonna have to "pay" for it?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
the only thing ( i think) that is not free is vmware workstation, but you don't need that

vmware player is free =)

Top Bottom