• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does my Wii crash with some stage previews, then work with others?

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
I've been having this problem for a while, but basically I've changed about 75% of the preview textures (when you choose a stage), and it will crash with certain textures I put in so that I have to change them, and it seems to happen a lot more often depending on the stage.

It happens mostly on Norfair, the only custom texture that I've gotten to work is this:

It's very simple. I made it that way since I thought the amount of colours might need to be limited, but then I would edit one of my screenshots of a stage so that it had as few colours as possible, and it would crash. Like this one:

It hasn't got that many colours but it just wont work. I'm not really an expert at this I am just doing trial and error, since I like having the preview pictures of each custom stage I put on my SD card. The thing is, every other stage has allowed me to use some sort of texture except for Norfair, where I can only use the test one I made with the purple dots, but why?

I'm sure there are people more knowledgeable than me about this, so if someone has an answer please share :D.

Edit: ok this is really weird, I actually exported the ORIGINAL texture file for Norfair, then put that back in, and the Wii CRASHED. Then I put my purple dots test image back, and it works. What the hell is going on? Is there like.. some sort of overall filesize for all these textures that is becoming too big and making it crash or....??

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Pay close attention to the file size of sc_selmap.pac when you edit it. If the size of that file exceeds 1,214,283 bytes (approx. 1.16 MB), the game will crash with the File Patch Code. Custom ISOs and Riivolution should bypass this issue, but common5.pac has higher priority with those methods.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Oh ok, I thought it had to be that, makes sense I guess. Thanks, I wouldn't mind using Riivolution but I can't use a disc since my Wii doesn't read them very well, and I use a hard drive (doesn't work with Riivolution), I am fine doing it this way though. I don't remember what common5.pac is or what it contains though.

Top Bottom