• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Isabelle and Villager crash the game when they catch forward air/back air?

Drew67

Smash Rookie
It is common knowledge that you can crash the game with Isabelle and Villager. I'm sure plenty of people have tested the bug just to feed that insatiable thing called curiosity, but I wanted to understand why. The game seems to have a cap on reflected projectile damage, so the game isn't freaking out from having numbers that are WAAAAY too high. You can have a game of catch with trees or Lloid rockets, but forward air crashes the game.

I made a video where I've documented my "experiments" if you will (mind the sound effects, I added them because I felt particularly silly). I've noticed that when the two characters play catch with forward air, the slingshot sound plays. The projectile works just fine twice, but on the third throw, the sound that the slingshot makes doesn't play. And on the forth and final throw, the game immediately crashes before the projectile even comes out.

I have a theory as to what causes the crash, but theories aren't quite like laws or principles when it comes to science. I'm just grasping at straws from my mind here, so take it for what you will (I could be looking like an idiot with a decent vocabulary for all I know).

Theory: There is a conflict somewhere in the code in the "different" neutral specials, and the game begins to freaks out when it reads that code more than twice.

Perhaps the code with in both the characters' neutral special, while seemingly identical in application, read the coding for launching projectiles differently. There's no zany differences in terms of damage output or applying certain properties to the projectiles that necessarily differentiate the characters, but maybe the game confuses *what* the projectile is, but in this specific instance only. Maybe it is more than just an oversight though. It could also be that maybe the code from the forward air from both characters are different, but when one stores the other one, they also store that code into that move?
Gah...my head is hurting.

I find the process of finding bugs and crashes to be more fun than it really should be. Hopefully someone else might have more insight than I do on how it could have crashed. Regardless, I'm interested in what others think could have crash the game (with no survivors).

Top Bottom