• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do YOU want characters in Smash Bros? Where does the "want" come from?

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
Character discussion and speculation has been the Smash community's bread and butter for over a decade now.

However, I currently wonder what exactly makes a character getting in such a huge deal. Where does that desire come from? Will [so-and-so] getting in make them appear in more games? If Spring Man gets in, will that motive you to try out ARMS? If Rex gets in, will you buy Xenoblade 2? Will you pass on it if he doesn't get in? Is Smash Bros. basically a Nintendo hall of fame, and any character that isn't in automatically doesn't matter?

In addition, whenever Nintendo reveals a new IP, some people jump to conclusions and automatically ask for a character from said IP to be in Smash. When LABO was revealed, some people discussed LABO in Smash. Nintendo could make a character that is literally a spec of dust, and people will ask for him to be in Smash.

Discuss.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Smash Bros. characters have freedom of movement to an extent that they might not get in their games of origin. Some characters aren't even playable in their games of origin. For example, one can't play as Skull Kid, except in Hyrule Warriors, and maybe that incarnation doesn't satisfy all of his fans. In addition, Smash Bros. offers a new chance to play as a character outside of replaying the game of origin. It's essentially added replay value for characters.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
People want to play as their favorite characters. There is of course an accessory want of "I hope my favorite game can get more noticed if x gets in" or "this is my favorite character from y franchise". But for myself personally, I want to play SSB competetively and perform well with characters that I love.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think its mainly fandom for a series or character and Smash allows it to shine to all the public. They love said game and they want that series either to be represented or have more representation. This builds popularity which can bring new games for that series or character.

Much of the popularity of certain game franchises such as Earthbound and Fire Emblem really were brought out to the main public through this game. They see Ness or Marth and think, "Who's That?" Then they play them and think, "Wow this character is really cool. Where's he from?" Then they start doing some digging into it and finding their games.

After fan service comes moveset potential. I think another reason people want certain character is how well their moves would fit into the Smash Bros. Characters like Banjo Kazooie, Geno, Issac, and Ray are great examples. They think that this character would be so awesome to play that they'll still want them even though they haven't had a game in like 20 years.

Then you just have some of those people who pick some random obscure character just so they can be like "Called It!"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Some people just want to see their favorite characters in Smash. Some people will bandwagon when they see someone have popularity. Some people will go for characters they like, but only if the character has a high chance of getting in. Some people will seemingly just support anyone, even if they have no idea who the character is.

Others want to be shown to be right. Like "Ha! I rooted for that character and he got in! That validates me as a person!" To the point where you question if they like the character or if it's just some kind of ego trip.

I guess it's possible there is always someone that could not care for the character but like the potential moveset they could bring.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
For me, I would prefer to see characters that would be sensible additions to the roster while at the same time offering some cool diversity when it comes to series representation. Not to mention that Smash Bros gives the chance for certain characters to be playable when they would never be offered that chance in their home game series.

A perfect example of this is Ridley. Sensible addition in that he is Samus's mortal enemy, plays incredibly different from her, and also Ridley has never been playable until Smash Ultimate.

This is also the same reason why I would want someone like Impa to be playable. Sensible addition in that she's the most recurring Zelda character to not be playable in Smash and is also Zelda's personal bodyguard. She could play differently from a character like Sheik if given a unique weapon (say, the naginata), and outside of Hyrule Warriors, hasn't been playable yet.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well my thought process is a bit simpler.

I just want cool guys that do cool things from cool games. Preferably Nintendo related.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Smash is, especially in its current state with obscure/left-field additions and third party presence, one of those playground ideas that's far too hopeful to actually become a reality. Yet, look at where we are 60+ characters, 20+ years, and one of the most popular franchises of all-time later. Virtually anything is possible with this series, and when something new is included, it shakes the gaming world and introduces a plethora of people to something they may not have played or even become aware of.

Smash immortalizes characters and franchises. Each inclusion introduces a countless amount of crossover combinations that were never imagined even during those playground fantasies. As a celebration to Nintendo, each inclusion feels like they're becoming a part of an ever-growing family; a family of the diverse and happy-go-lucky world of Nintendo and more. There will forever be a fanbase of people who grew to love a character because of Smash, and these newcomers get to fight alongside gaming legends and fit right into the style and gameplay of Smash like a family.

You can never take that away from a character, and it actually often contributes to a series' interest and growth. That's why I want to especially see my two most wanted, Isaac and Banjo & Kazooie to finally get their chance. Both have dealt with likely being close to inclusion before, but now their series have a questionable future in spite of a hardcore fanbase that still remains with them.

If they got in to what could be the last Smash game that adds onto its already high roster count, their series future could completely be rewritten for the better, and they would look oh so good alongside the other characters. Isaac could've easily made it in more than once if his series had a new game at just the right time, and B&K just feels right to have them return to their roots and be a part of a Nintendo game again.

I don't expect either of them even if I think they have a realistic chance, but on top of the fanservice already being included for Ultimate in particular, it's the cherry on top to what could be the greatest game of all-time for me.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
B&K just feels right to have them return to their roots and be a part of a Nintendo game again.

I don't expect either of them even if I think they have a realistic chance, but on top of the fanservice already being included for Ultimate in particular, it's the cherry on top to what could be the greatest game of all-time for me.
Well, with how Nintendo and Microsoft are acting towards each other lately with the crossplay and all that, I'd say Banjo & Kazooie's chances of getting in look better now than it did a few years back. Who knows? It might just happen, though I am still doubtful of it.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Simply put I play games and fall in love with the characters and worlds and would love to see those characters and worlds immortalized as Nintendo's latest and greatest along side the rest of the Smash cast.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
One of my main reasons for wanting a Custom Robo character is that I hope the attention his addition would give him would inspire someone at nintendo to revive the series. But granted I know it's a long shot. don't even have the Ray Mk III assist trophy anymore. probably in the same place Takamaru is in. well worse because from a dead series but doesn't even get mentioned by Sakurai.

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
People here are very greedy and unrealistic when it comes to newcomer requests. Maybe some people like to see the Smash Bros roster as an award show for "best game characters on Nintendo consoles", so they want their favourites to appear. Or maybe they just like the idea of them fighting characters from other franchises.

But personally, I don't think a character should be added unless if they are notable enough, are an interesting character, and have a moveset that will benefit Super Smash Bros.

Personally, I'm quite sparring in what characters I want to see. My top 2 are Rayman and Gengar. I think Rayman would be a good addition because his ability to throw his hands and feet would make him a unique addition, while not unfit for the game.

But I can tell many others here are anything but sparring when it comes to character requests. I find the Top 10 thread particularly greedy & unrealistic, given the small number of newcomers added in each new entry.

I wonder if people here will take this thread as a rhetorical question.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think a big part of it comes from being characters from my childhood or teenage years.

Golden Sun and Banjo Kazooie are two major game series I played as a kid that aren't currently represented with a playable character.

A little later than that are the Ace Attorney games, which has become my favourite game series of all time.

For a lot of people, Sonic or Megaman were their "ahh my childhood is so happy!" inclusions. For me Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie and Phoenix Wright would get a similar reaction.

So when I think of an "Ultimate" Nintendo crossover, these games feel like huge blank spots in the roster.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I love my favorite characters; they were part of my growth and my search for my likes in the World; they also had help my in many ways; they're inspire to me.

In Micaiah's particular case I have and somewhat weird story that I don't know if you would care about; but basically was important to me... And everything started when I was thinking about how cool is the idea of having a FE Mage Protagonist.

I had other characters that I really like in my life, but I think I growth even closer to Micaiah because I believe she can appear in Smash somehow; thanks to some factors that helps her...

And of course I really love Smash, the way it plays, the modes and all the mad stuff you can do with the base physics alone. Having Micaiah is my greatest dream.

I also support other characters for many reasons; I like the franchises and their characters (like many Kirby characters; and some obscure options of other series); because I believe in their potential to please the fandom (like K. Rool) and other misc. reasons.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
A combination of 3 things.

- I like the character.
- They would have an interesting move set.
- They would look cool or have an interesting aesthetic.

You should be able to see that the higher entries in my wishlist (see sig) tend to have a combination of the 3. This is a general rule I consider in all fighting games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom