• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play fox?

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
I want to win. If I didn't want to win, I would play captain falcon and jigglypuff. I see fox as having the potential to win. When I first started playing fox, I was the thing that I hate to see now. Super cookie cutter. Autopilot dash attack. I had some decent frame trap setups, but I didn't understand at all what options fox even had. I hit a plateau, and I figured there was no way I could go farther with this character. I dropped him. I shuffled through many top tiers, and none of them felt right. A lot of them felt gimmicky. I eventually came back to him, and started studying all of his moves and options. I realized that he has an amazing moveset. More diverse than any other character I have so far played. I see fox being the best character in the game. Simply given his potential. No other character has 70 percent easy strings. No other character is as fast and has as many inputs per second, (besides maybe diddy kong.) I look at the vods back when zero mained fox. Not even he could win, and he didn't see foxes potential and quickly switched off. I look at people nowadays like Larry Lurr (and no disrespect to him), but I don't think even the best fox main in the world shows what fox is capable of. Only a tiny glimpse. I want to set a standard for fox, so that people see what he is capable of. I want to put him at the forefront of the metagame. I'm a huge melee fan, and I think that sm4sh fox draws a lot of parallels to him. I want to prove that sm4sh is equally as complex and artistic as melee, (not nearly as in depth or developed) and deserves recognition as a great game and a welcome addition to the smash series, and the smash community.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Fox definitely has several tools that have yet to see application at top level play. The character will only be getting better as people escape their comfort zone to try new things.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I started off playing Ness cause I played Lucas casually in Brawl and thought Ness looked like fun. Ended up enjoying him a lot and sticking with him, but I slowly came to realize that the way I want to play isn't conducive to Ness. He's not fast enough, and his air speed is too slow to allow me to do shff shenanigans.

That's when I found Fox (disclaimer: Ness is still a co-main/secondary).

Played him in some friendlies and loved the way he moved. Found some cool strings (his BnB things) and started to experiment with a lot of his more interesting setups. Slowly but surely I found a very complicated character with a lot of kill setups who let's me make up combos as I go.

Now my goal is to become the best Fox in my region, but have my own style. Currently I have my own style. The only Fox in DFW who uses perfect pivot, dair footstool, and various other techs that I just don't see at a high level yet. I've had people tell me that they love my Fox and that it's the most entertaining of our local Foxes to watch. This still means a lot, even if I don't place the highest. I will get there though it'll be tough considering Megafox is not that far away and he's a monster (and he's the reason I even looked at Fox in the first place)!

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
I'm experimenting with Fox now. He can cover hard matchups agaisnt Falco.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
I love his playstyle, the mobility (which some find wierd), combos, punish game, good frame data and kill setups are just what I look for when choosing a main. If he sucked, I would still play him, but he wouldn't be a main.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
I play Fox for his versatile and powerful advantage state, speed, and kill confirms. He's also incredibly fun to use and because his ceiling is so high (if it's even there) he'll keep me busy for the rest of Smash 4's life.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
Fox is my favorite Nintendo character. I mained fox since the beginning (64). I love speed and kung fu. He reminds of Bruce Lee lol. His ceiling his the highest out of any character. If you are able to read,react and pick the right moves you can combo someone from very low % to 100 or death within less than 30 seconds. Fox loyalist to the fullest

NoSharp

Smash Rookie
I like Fox as a character and he basically fits my playstyle a lot, I like characters that can use dash attack to punish like Fox and MK

Curleh_Mustache

Smash Cadet
I play him for the aggressive playstyle and played him since the N64. Too bad he's so hard to use in Melee :p

BrickBot

Smash Cadet
When the game first came out for Wii U, I wanted to main Little Mac. But, after the nerf to his recovery, i decided to switch to captain falcon. Eventually I started to experiment with fox and I fell in love with him. He's got frame traps. He's got combos. He's got setups. He's got a projectile. He has a reflector. He is fast. He has great frame data. He can be played campy, defensively, aggressively, and in a bait 'n punish fashion. He makes my dreams come true. And knowing that i have only begun to tap into his potential, means I will always have more to learn and practice.

Also, I take a lot of pride in maining a character that is difficult. I feel good when I see the time I invested into practicing combos payoff when I play against people. Every win feels like I earned it.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
What drew me to Fox initially was his effective vertical game (fast fall speed and an up-air that combos and kills). What made me keep playing Fox: he's a character that can flourish or flounder based on any and every decision you make. This kind of learning curve makes the character captivating to play. Like, even when you do really good, you feel like you can do even better.

seoh

Smash Cadet
I come from mostly non FGC games and I've always desired a fast and aggressive playstyle, complimented by precision in any game I've played (though truthfully I excel in passive playstyles the better I am at a game). I always admire players who could quickly overwhelm their opponent and capitalize on mistakes in aggressive ways. Oftentimes it looks totally unbeatable when done correctly. Spacies in Smash kind of naturally fit this idea, they're glass cannons but they make big on conversions. So naturally when I picked up smash 4 recently, Fox was attractive. I've tried every character, and very few feel as satisfying as using Fox. I feel similarly about both melee spacies. I want to set the pace as much as possible while dictating what my opponent will do.

also perfect pivot utilts feel so awesome to approach with.

Xamad

You want the JoJ
NNID
Xamad51
He just feels really smooth in general. I love how versatile his combo/string game is, his movement is incredibly smooth and fluid, and he has good kill confirms. Not only this, but like you said, we're still discovering new things about him, like new confirms and neutral options. I feel like he has all the tools to be good in the right hands, though I still have a ways to go to maximize my potential with him.

Though the biggest thing about him is that I can go aggro with him, while still having defensive options should the matchup call for it. He's just very versatile in these regards.

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
Throughout my years of playing smash, Fox has always been my go to character. But the real reason i play Fox is because i needed a very strong co main. Before all these balance patches happened, Mega Man had been my first main ever since the game came out. I had wanted a character who could keep up in MUs that Mega Man could not. I switched between many different characters, some being Shulk, Kirby, Dark Pit, and Lucina in hopes of finding a strong character but they didn't fit my style, except for Dark Pit, but i wanted someone faster, someone who can overwhelm in an instant when Mega Man can't keep anyone out. That's what made me go back and play Fox. I never realized how amazing he moves are in this game and it feels so rewarding to play as him and secure a win for yourself. You didn't rely on some kinda jank stuff like Luma. You did it all by yourself, whether it was reading your opponent to get the stock, or just getting a whole ton of percent in an instant through quick combos. I haven't looked back on picking up Fox since then. He and Mega Man compliment each other pretty well so it makes me happy i found two mains that i can have fun with, and are pretty good characters in the game

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Cause he's fun, and slightly similar to his Brawl counterpart, and the closets thing there is to Brawl Falco.

He just ended up being a top 15 character in this game, and I'm fine with that

_Wumbo_

Smash Rookie
Beside the fact that I mained him in Melee so I feel somewhat of a loyalty to him, I like playing fast, technical characters. Fox is easily one of the fastest characters in the game and there is no shortage of tech to learn. On top of this, Fox doesn't get anything for free, so playing him has really helped me improve.

D

Deleted member 269706

Well, I was a Falcon main (and I always will be at heart), but as Hax$ says...Falcon is bad. (Seems to remain a constant throughout the series haha). But in all seriousness, Fox has a better MU spread, he has better combos, more tools, can be very aggressive, and is just a fun character to play.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
On the emotional level, I play this character because I love his character in his games. He's stoic and courageous, but also level headed and just a more...believable character than the other Nintendo protagonists. He doesn't have superpowers or gods to help him. He vanquishes evil with teamwork and by being a great leader.

At the gameplay level, I always play characters that are challenging and with depth. When I choose a character, I do so to stick with them for awhile. Fox's speed and remarkable mechanical depth keeps me playing him, on top of loving his character in general.

Fox is also an honest character. He gets nothing for free and doesn't rely on free power. We're talking guaranteed throw combos, super safe pokes, and free space control; Fox has none of these. He has all of these tools, but he doesn't get them for free. You have to be just as ahead mechanically as you are mentally to win with him.

That's why he's so satisfying to play.

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
I cycled through using a load of characters when trying to find a main.

Before Smash4 I had only ever played Brawl (and have since gone back and got a copy of melee too), and because I sucked so hard at Brawl, and my friends were constantly beating me, I always picked characters with great recovery, and thought Fox and Falco were useless (in my hands at least).

Because of the aforementioned belief, I never tried using Fox in smash 4 until December 2015. I decided to try someone that I'd never played with, and just stick with them; turned out it was Fox, and I've not looked back.

I love how fluid he is when you have an opponent on tilt, and during some magic games when I'm in the zone, it feels like I can land whatever I and and am untouchable :)

I'll always play Fox now.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Fox definitely has several tools that have yet to see application at top level play. The character will only be getting better as people escape their comfort zone to try new things.
Like when I sometimes approach with shine and whisper "Melee" under my breath as they are then chased out of the knockback...seriously, you'll feel silly, but it's a option nobody seems to expect.

But to the topic:

Starfox 64 was revolutionary to my childhood, as was using Fox to reflect projectiles from my best friend's Link growing up playing SSB64.

When Melee came out, i was going to play Fox, but once I unlocked Falco, I ended up using him more because I always liked his character in the games.

I only dabbled in the Brawl and PM days because I never owned a Wii, but When i do play PM, having the chance to play wolf is cool, as he's another character I've always liked from the series.

And then Smash 4 came out, and I really liked how Fox handled in this game. Falco not so much, so Fox stayed....Even though I voted for Wolf...

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Because I like him as a character. Sure I don't play as him much now these days but he's still fun to use.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
Huge StarFox fan, he also plays the most melee like in combo game potential. High skill cap and the pressure he can apply is incredible. The only character that feels right to me, everyone else seems kinda clunky.

Zeldageek123

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zeldageek122
Personally, I use Fox because he just felt right for my playstyle. The rushdown style of play, his speed, his weight, all of his options... They just clicked and felt right. Ever since the beginning of Sm4sh I've been a Fox main. I used a variety of characters and gravitated towards the two that I use today, Greninja and Fox. None felt quite as "right" as those two. I consider myself to be defent at the character, but I personally believe that he has a substantial amount of untapped potential. Larry Lurr is the best, yes, and he's phenomenal at playing Fox, but he's such a complex character and I think that he still has a lot of growing to do in the meta. Personally, I want to get better with footstool setups, and I think that Fire Fox shoukd be explored a bit more, as it's pretty underrated as a move.

Fox is a phenomenal character, I really don't think I would love Sm4sh as much as I do now if he didn't play the way he does now.

Bazzeltroff

Smash Rookie
Gotta hop in and say one thing.

Gotta go fast.

Sonic is fast, but his airials, and over all style is not fluid AT ALL. And so going fast with him is definitely not the case.

But Fox...

Fox...

Man. Auto cancel back airs. Up air spam. Out running more of the cast. Footstools offstage. Literally everything about him is fast.

He allows me to be as aggressive as possible, while also being able to play campy by tomahawking and baiting my opponent to do something.

Bendermaru

Smash Rookie
loved his games and was very happy that i coul play as him when smash 64 went out. fortunately he has been a great character in almost all smash.
i play with him in sm4sh cause his fun playstyle, great speed and great tools.

mZuzek

Smash Rookie
NNID
mZuzek
I used to not care about Smash until I saw that mindblowing trailer at E3 2013. That trailer was so good it single-handedly got me super hyped for a game I wouldn't otherwise care about, and thus made me try to play Melee a little bit to get into the franchise. At the time, I had just gotten into Star Fox and Fox had become my favorite Nintendo character, so it was an easy pick for a main (I always like to pick a main early on in games and stick to them for a very long time).

In the end I didn't play too much Melee, or Brawl for that matter, but I was still very hyped for Smash 4. The only other character that was unveiled during that time that made me question the decision to main Fox was Greninja, because it's such an awesome Pokémon, but in the end when I got my hands on the game, I was just desperate to play Fox after those weeks of not having him in the 3DS demo.

Of course, I'm glad he turned out to be one of the best characters in the game. Though I was mildly interested in competitive play back when I got the game, I didn't expect to become a serious player, but that's what happened, and I guess with Fox being so good it was always bound to happen too.

So, yeah. I main Fox because he's my favorite Nintendo character, and though my origins are casual (hate to use that word), even to this day I still stick to the idea of only picking characters I like in any games (that is, not picking a character because of how good they are).

Still, in terms of gameplay, he's easily my favorite character. I just love playing Fox. He's so fast, can combo so hard, and has kill power too. He can play a wide variety of play styles and has a huge skill ceiling. And to top it off, he's very much a character that rewards skillful play and doesn't get anything for free (like certain others... *cough*rosalina*cough*).

And about Greninja... he never clicked. After I got started with the game, I only played Fox for months upon months. He was the character I learned to play the game with, and as such I never managed to get Greninja going because it's such a hard character to win with, and never felt as good to play as Fox, or as fun for that matter.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
satisfying af to land anything, fox racks on percentage really fast.
His frame traps & autocancels are cool
Footstool & Lock combo potential is high !
Lots of other stuff too

edit:
he's very much a character that rewards skillful play and doesn't get anything for free (like certain others... *cough*rosalina*cough*
go die

Last edited:

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
I first picked up Fox when my Nintendo ID was mysteriously removed. I had lost all my games and DLC. Before this I was a Lucas main. Although I really love Lucas, his flaws were very noticeable and always got in my way. When I lost my DLC, I played Ness instead. However Ness was too complicated and although I was a really good Ness main for the time, it just wasn't as fun as Lucas. I began looking for a new main and one by one went down the tier list. I had tried Shiek, Diddy, Rosalina, all of them. None of them were as fun as Lucas, until I came down to Fox. Fox although is very different from Lucas, Lucas being more of a defensive spacing character, I just found Fox's speed and move set extremely satisfying. I spent the next day, watching as many fox guides, reading up all about the Fox meta, and whatnot. Unlike, Lucas, Fox actually had the potential to win battles, and a major flaw of Lucas is his matchup with the High tier. I felt that with Fox, I actually had a chance. I fell in love with the run and gun playstyle of Fox. I watch as many technical smash videos as I can and read up on all the Fox guides on this forum. I consider myself pretty new to Fox, and I don't have the experience to combat other people. But practice makes perfect, and I will achieve my goal at some point. As for Lucas, I have not still bought him again. I am saving up for Pokemon Sun and Moon, so no DLC until after November. I will only play Lucas casually after that, now that I know my true potential with Fox.

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
At first, I wanted to pick up a high tier (this is during the pre-patch Mewtwo but post-nerf Fox jab days) after being wrecked by...well...other high tiers.
It took me a while. Fox was hard to get used to and I forced myself to play as him more. I would lose to people worse than me when I beat them with my low tier Mewtwo.
But, I started actually improving at fox and I said "hey, this is pretty fun".
And the stars were aligned. Once I was confident enough to say I mained Fox/Mewtwo, Mewtwo was buffed. Now I have a perfect duo. Although I might use Link against Falcon, they're my big 2 and without Fox I'd be worse at the game and I'd have less fun playing it.

Besides, who doesn't like landing a kill move that is basically a fox yelling "FIYER!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom