• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people want to go to heaven, if they don't want to die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EUfreakah

Smash Rookie
This is something that is keeping me busy for quite a while. I have talked to some people about it, and they told me that they would like to go to heaven when they die. Then they replied to my next question (if they ever wanted to die): 'No I think i'll never want to die.' Personally I don't believe in heaven or god but in some sort of reincarnation, but these people I spoke, they do believe in god. Why do people want to go to heaven if they don't know what it's like. If you don't want to die, why believe in heaven if you don't know what it is like and you don't even want to die? I think a few of you might recognize this in yourself or somebody else.

<small>[ June 13, 2002, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: EUfreakah ]</small>

Ovie_Dropper

Smash Apprentice
Well, I think I could answer your misinterpretation of how people that believe in God use the word "death". Death or dying in the Bible is usually referring to falling of a person to **** when their physical life ends, or it could be referring to lake of fire, where satan and his followers will be put into, as said in the Revelations.

Now for the reason why people want to go to heaven and don't know what it's really like. Again, the Bible explains the rewards reaped for going to heaven: there are descriptions in the Bible telling of things like the streets made of pure gold, and all of God's followers receiving huge mansions when they get to heaven. Even though you might think that's not enough, it's either that or spending an eternity of torment in a lake of flames.

I hope this answers your question! Have a good day!

EUfreakah

Smash Rookie
Personally I don't think this book that is called the bible is very reliable because it has been written by writers. Don't a lot of writers tend to exaggerate, make things better than it is. I think the bible is just the same. All the wonderful story's (I must admit), are they that reliable? You just can't tell. I think people who live by the bible must ask themselves the question if it is a reliable source. Isn't it too good to be true? I mean, I would love to believe in the bible but I can't because it isn't a reliable source to me.
You referred to the bible in your reply which is okay by me BTW. No offence to anybody who lives with the bible

<small>[ June 13, 2002, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: EUfreakah ]</small>

PorCorpWis

Smash Ace
Perhaps their fear of death overrides their ignorance... err, I mean, religion.

<small>[ June 13, 2002, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: PorCorpWis ]</small>

Confuzor

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind death at all, but I'd quite prefer if it wasn't slow and painful.

Sniper rifle shot to the heart = :)
(if only I was important enough...)

Death from cancer = :(

The thing that sucks about death is that it can't be controlled, and that's what makes it scary. You guys read that book series "His Dark Materials"? In the last book. (Amber Spyglass), there's this small race that help out the characters. Their death comes when they are at their physically best. I wish we could all live life like that. Death is just a split second, nothing to worry about; the decay process that leads to death - that can seemingly last like an eternity...

We don't know the full details as to what heaven will be like, but we know it's going to be **** cool.

Yoshi-lord

POKEMON RULEZ:):)
BRoomer
My secret Yoshi island, where I remain to be the L
People say they want to go to heaven, so that when they die, they may get a second chance to avoid dying how they did and live a happy life! :) Or they could want to live a live of eternal bliss in heavens cloud covered universe. I don't think anyone saying they want to go to heaven when they die want to die imediatly.

Shamboo

Smash Lord
I can bet you they mean "I want to go to heaven IF I die, but I don't want to die any time soon."

Sorry for the short post, but it's just as plain and simple as that.

firaga01

Smash Lord
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by EUfreakah:
<strong>Personally I don't think this book that is called the bible is very reliable because it has been written by writers. Don't a lot of writers tend to exaggerate, make things better than it is. I think the bible is just the same. All the wonderful story's (I must admit), are they that reliable? You just can't tell. I think people who live by the bible must ask themselves the question if it is a reliable source. Isn't it too good to be true? I mean, I would love to believe in the bible but I can't because it isn't a reliable source to me.
You referred to the bible in your reply which is okay by me BTW. No offence to anybody who lives with the bible</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the Bible is the Word of God that he inspired writers to write.

and as for your question, Dying is inevitable. Its where you go after this life that can be judged by you.

zelda85

Smash Ace
I think people belive in heaven because it means life over death ,the 2nd chance...am I right ?

Nobody has made return from the graveyard so we have no clue of what we can expect in the "afterlife"....You can find dozens of answers from the various religions for "heaven"...but are them true ?
Would be good....but I'm not that sure....
I see them as an excuse made by men to make dying softer (sp?) ,we all are afraid of death ,when someone dies his life is "ereased" ,losing the people he/she loves.. and when it comes you can't avoid it.....but just hoping to go to paradise ,a
beautiful place where ,one day ,you'll find all your loved ones.
Do you now see the connection ?

...sorry if this bother you...

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
Duh! cause nobody wants to go to heck. And besides some religions believe in reincarnation and heaven is like a reward for being so good in life. think of it as the santa claus of death.

kirby¹²³

Smash Apprentice
well, personally, I don't belive in a life after death or any 'Higher Power' as a god or anything so I couldn't tell, but I think that people want to live but when they die they want to go to heaven or nirvana:D or something like that...

nodestar

Smash Apprentice
Everybody beilves in somthing. Even athesist. I beilve in the God of the Bible. (the bible was written by men who were inspired by God) If you beilve that then God wrote the Bible and there for it is true.

I have to agree with some of the post above that most people belive in heavan so death is'nt so scary. But there's nothing wrong with that. Thats why religion is popular, because people are scared of dieing. And it's human nature to belive in a higher power. And to belive that theres somthing more then just being born, playing SSBM, and then dieing in the short course of 80 years. There must be more out there. Anyway though it's amazing that were accully discussing this without breaking into a brawl.

TheMasterSwordsMan

Smash Rookie
Life, Death

I agree that the people this guy was asking questions to were probably getting at "If and when I die, I want to go to heaven". To the gentleman who said "Writers tend to over exaggerate" about heaven? My dear sir, they can't write words good enough for heaven! Writers can try to over exaggerate all they want, but the book tells us the most precious metals on our Earth are road cement there. That's just kind of an analogy they use. And, is the Bible a reliable source? See, I like to put it this way: So, assume we Christians are wrong? We believe if you die and believe in Jesus, you go to heaven, if you don't you go to heck. K? So if we're wrong, and none of the Bible is real, what happens to us? Diddly jack. But if we're right, where are we going? To Heaven. See? It's really very simple.

Bushelz

Smash Journeyman
Religiom is the blanket at night and the scapegoat at hard times. We do use religion to make a sense out of life. I believe in Catholicism, but it doesn't keep me from seeing whats happening in the world. People wanna go to heaven, even aethiests probably want to believe in one to go to very dearly. But noone is for sure because we don't have a first person source. I agree with TheMasterSwordsman, that if our beliefs our wrong then whats it gonna matter when we die? If there really is something though we might be accepted. So I consider the topic is resolved since many people gave in their two bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom