• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you pick Shulk?

RedScizor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0302-0652-2111
One because Xenoblade is amazing. But secondly because he fits my play style so well. I like having a long of range on my attacks and Shulk has that amazing n-air. He's just so unique and fun to play.

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
I picked Shulk because I love Xenoblade Chronicles. I did try to main Robin for a while, but I just couldn't get any better with him so I made Shulk my main instead of a secondary. Actually at this point I don't even use Robin as a secondary sadly because I'm that bad with him.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Oddly enough I don't think I ever posted here, so why not??

Where to begin... I initially joined Smashboards to discuss the possibility of Shulk in the character forums. Wow that seems so long ago. He was always my most wanted character and when he was confirmed I watched his newcomer video 100 times, I mean had to main him.

Like most Xenoblade Chronicles is one of my all time favorite games.

Shulk's playstyle is also tons of fun. Spiking is too satifying although carrying people off stage with two fairs is a recent favorite combo of mine.

Lastly, as Fio0o0o0o0o0o0o0ora would say.....

"Yay Shulk, go you"

CannonGanon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1498-3334
Well I just started to play Xenoblade and pretty much he fit my style of play so I off mained him and it's working out fantastically.

JuanM

Smash Rookie
NNID
JuanJMorales
I saw somebody play a shirtless Shulk on YouTube and I thought it was pretty funny, so I picked him up.

SVGK

Smash Rookie
I loved Xenoblade, and I promised myself that I would main Shulk if he got in.

And then, I found out that he had amazing flexibility, range and power, and then he was just perfect, really sealed the deal.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
After seeing all the hype of hearing this "Shulk" character, I played smash 3DS at my Cousin's house and played him, and jesus christ he was fun.

I then watched a let's play of Xenoblade Chronicles and now am avid fan of the game and a Shulk Main.

Zacko

Smash Cadet
What got me interested was the character design and his trailer. I had only played a bit of Xenoblade, but I liked the character and the Monado in general. But what really got me hooked on him was how he felt when I first played him. My first impression was that he was a quicker Ike with longer range, which I really liked, and using his monado arts in Smash Run on the 3DS felt amazing. I guess he became my #1 main just before the Wii U version came out, and Jerms combo videos made me enjoy him even more.

Shulk also got me back into playing Xenoblade Chronicles, which is an amazing game and fun to play while I'm not playing smash. Knowing the characters and the story makes him even more fun to play.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I like his very technical and rewarding playstyle that favors timing, strategy and thorough practice with the Monado Arts. Yet he is not tiring to use, ending stocks very early and playing a mean spacing game. I want a speedy dash grab rushdown character? Speed mode. I want to string together multiple attacks for 100%? Buster. I want to eclipse Ganondorf in kill power? Smash. I want a jigglypuff swordsman? Jump. I want to outweigh King Dedede without taking up half the stage and being a massive punching bag? Shield. SHULK CAN DO EVERYTHING.

He can combo. He can string. He can punish. He has the most satisfying counter. His attack animations are aesthetically pleasing. He has a dastardly meteor smash. He has insane range. He has an excellent voice actor and memorable quotes. He is just fun to use, and I thought he would be from his reveal trailer on, even though I knew nothing about Xenoblade other than its critical acclaim. After losing Wolf, gaining this skillful, excellent character has made amends for me.

I like Ike too, the character most people compare him to. Something about swordsman in this game is more rewarding and fun than Brawl, and I like EVERY swordsman character better in this game more than Brawl (including the supposedly "garbage" Marth and MK). Yet Monado boy, the new kid, is still my favorite.

And don't get me started on Xenoblade, now that I've discovered it.

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
'Cuz he's HAWT

Honestly, I came for Power Vision disrespect. I stayed for the technicality of the Monado Arts.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
"Whats the big deal about Shulk? Why do people want him in smash so badly?" Me before I gave Shulk a chance.
I was actually planning to main Kirby and Yoshi only. I copyed the Monado arts when ever I could as Kirby. Even though I sucked with them at the time. I had a blast using them but of course I didn't always have them. So I decided to start using Shulk, the character that uses them. A couple of how to use Shulk, Shulk combos and Trela videos later Shulk became a thing for me.

This made me to get obsess over Xenoblade Chronicles. I drool all over the characters and story. I really want to play the new Xenoblade as long as the story is good and the music stacks up. But I want to buy the original XC before it becomes 100 dollars in the next couple years. I even got the poster set from Club Nintendo just because of the Shulk poster. However now I get annoyed when ever people spam:"I'm really feeling it!"
Man whata bunch a jokers.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I picked Shulk long before Smash 4 came out.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Contrary to popular belief, I didn't pick him because of his insanely good counter known as Vision(in fact I didn't even know about that until after I picked him); rather I picked him because I wanted a long-range character after I initially decided I wanted to main Wii Fit Trainer. But as you can expect, that didn't quite work out. WFT's range is absolutely deplorable and I wanted a character who could actually reach the opponent. Shulk happened to be the special one. While it took many losses and defeats because of high learning curve, I was finally starting to get the hang of Shulk, and subsequently my win rate was going up. Everything seemed to be just right and he clicked with me. Shulk is very versatile and adaptable because of his Monado Arts, which you can select based on certain situations and conditions, which I like very much. There's so much you can do with him that makes me enjoy using him, despite his flaws. He is by no means perfect, but he's certainly better than the other characters I first used when I bought the game.

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
I used to love using Ike in Brawl, same in SSB4. But after using Shulk for a few battles, he felt like a better Ike. So naturally I gravitated toward Shulk. He's been my favorite character since. Never played Xenoblade because, to be honest, I'd NEVER heard of it. But I'm willing to look into it now that I know what it is.. Lol.

Last edited:

Michael4thewin

Smash Rookie
His attacks and monado really pulled me in as it helps trick others into how Shulk works after using the monado. Also that VA~ #MonandoBoys

carnerd3000

Smash Rookie
When I first heard of Shulk I was like "who the heck is this?", but when I got familiar with what he does then I was like "this guy is sick!"

S_F

Smash Rookie
Not gonna lie, I only picked him because I liked his voice lines and victory theme. I actually hated how he played at first but I basically just forced myself to learn him

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Because I'm really feeling it (I'm surprised this haven't been mentioned yet)

Shulk isn't bad for me as I like how to play his character. It's an unique addition to the game where I need to make a decent stragety to make sure I'm not ****ed over

Last edited:

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
I love Shulk! He can pretty much balance out to anyone in smash.
And tho i haven't played Xenoblade, i reaaaaaaaaaaly want to.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I thought his monado arts were really fun to mess with and he was able to change up his playstyle on the fly. Back Slash tempted me to go with someone else, but he wrecked all my friends when Smash Wii U was out. Only once during that entire day did I lose with him.

He's a really satisfying and powerful character to use in this game.

EDIT: Also, he's as close as I'll get to having Isaac from Golden Sun as a playable character

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Because I really REALLY enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles, and when he was leaked. I was trying to hold back all of the hype from seeing him leaked.

And I was surprised to see how he played and how technical he is too. But yet very rewarding too.

Also, Melia is best girl/waifu tier. And Riki is best mascot.

Top Bottom