• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why computers are not useful for judging your strength

Pawnstorm

Smash Rookie
Well I should start off with the most obvious reason, and in fact most people already surely know. There is no such thing as AI. If there really was AI, then the computer wouldn't have it's biggest problem, predictability. The computer is so easy to understand and it is easy to use cheap tricks like a n00b to win.

Another reason is the character choices. Some characters are good at taking others down, such as Link vs. Young Link. Sure, they both have their strengths against other characters, but it is extremely hard for a young Link player to beat a Link player.

The least obvious reason and most important is that all characters have different abilities to fight in different situations. As such, three level 9 computers are hardly a good match against a good Marth or Roy (stock), but as someone like Link, a three on one is slaughter, considering that all of Link's moves have such a large recovery time. Most of the slower characters cannot take on three oponents because their strength is one on one. Maybe some people would ask why to use thewm, and the only reason therefor would be against human players. I myself play soley as Link, Gannondorf, and Donkey Kong, and I cannot take on three level 9 computers with Link, but I'm best with Link, and I can almost always easily beat my friends who can do that type of match with Marth or Roy.

The computer can help you become better for sure, but it is not useful when it comes to judging what your skill level is. Only a human can do that, which means that there isn't really a set level for a human...it is that simple.

Pawnstorm

Smash Rookie
^_^;;

whoops...looks like I forgot about thew levels (going through a breakup will do that to a person).

Anyway, yes, some of those conditions I mentioned before include the stages that the characters use... Obviously Pokefloats is a great stage for Kirby, Peach, and JP, but what about the rest of them? Plus "AI" can totally screw up and SD a lot on stages like that.

No1Robot

Smash Apprentice
Nonono.
Why three you ask? Hah, I'll elaborate:

If you want a challenge, you need to find it yourself. If you want to beat adventure as a challenge, you set the difficulty high, and try for no continues, the game doesn't mandate such settings, but your self imposing of them creates the difficulty. Likewise with cps.

The computer's "pure offense" AI, mixed with my Roy's sword, means I could quite easily beat any level 9 CP by simply standing back and swinging when they run in. Piece of Cake. But if I take on three level 9 Falcos with my slwo Roy and charge into them head on, trying to practise evasive techniques I ahven't mastered yet, I will have a MUCH more difficult time.

You can use CPs to up your abilities, you just need to concentrate on your flaws rather than theirs.

Pawnstorm

Smash Rookie
an intersting point, but...

While you do make your point clear and true, that doesn't stop the fact you can't JUDGE what you are by the computer because each character has a untold number of problems in themself. While it is true you can master each problem seperately, what can you rate yourself on? You can train and train yes, and the more you master the higher your level must be, but...there are way too many variables in this equation, your level cannot be determined by some unchanging program. Your real level is your ability to adapt, not repeat and repeat until you give the computer the bruises it deserves in the areas you wish.

game and kirby

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that anything can truly judge your skill level . Even if you think that because you beat all your friends , you're good, you might not be, because your friends, like the computer, have problems too. One of them might not know how to dodge. The other one might never smash, and so on. Computers are very useful for practicing combos and reflexes, as the CP can escape from combos better than most humans. Try playing training mode on x2 speed against a friend to get your reflexes up to scratch. After playing that for two hours, normal speed seemed like slo mo to me!

Pawnstorm

Smash Rookie
I'm not so sure... After playing for so long the human brain would adjust...because I was once the only one with mad crazy dodging action, now my friends have it. Play with the same group of four or five people, and you will find if you are the best they will all change towards your style, until one of them is better at it than you are...then you have to go with a different style...until you have no real style at all. I'm just rambling now, but the point is that humans will adapt and make you adapt to make you better, and if they don't they are at least as good as, if not better, training than the computer.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Nonono.

If you want a challenge, you need to find it yourself. If you want to beat adventure as a challenge, you set the difficulty high, and try for no continues, the game doesn't mandate such settings, but your self imposing of them creates the difficulty. Likewise with cps.

The computer's "pure offense" AI, mixed with my Roy's sword, means I could quite easily beat any level 9 CP by simply standing back and swinging when they run in. Piece of Cake. But if I take on three level 9 Falcos with my slwo Roy and charge into them head on, trying to practise evasive techniques I ahven't mastered yet, I will have a MUCH more difficult time.

You can use CPs to up your abilities, you just need to concentrate on your flaws rather than theirs.
Seriously guys, LVL 9 CPU's totally make you better.

Smash Ace
Nonono.

CPU's have inhumanly good reflexes, and as such they teach you some very bad habits. For an example, CPU's powershield way too much, and as such they teach you to be conservative with projectiles. Normally, there is only a minimal danger to spamming projectiles, and many characters (Falco in particular) use them fairly freely when optimally played. Additionally and most seriously, they train you to find a set algorithm that beats them and just keep using and polishing that, without really adapting. This algorithm will likely not work on human players, and even if you do find a really effective pattern, humans will adapt and counter it.

(Correct me if you're being sarcastic and I just suck at detecting it. These things happen over the internet.)

person701

Smash Journeyman
*inserts two cent*

I really only us CPUs to gain technical skill such as frames, manuvers, and "comboing" (medi-core, not hard-core). If you want to fight high level computers without those annoying superhuman reflexes, play Lv7s. They still power shield, but it's not like a Falco player would get EVERY shot reflected (or blocked) back at them.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
CPU's are only good for advancing your technical abilities, movement, and mechanical understanding of the game.

Mind games, or the ability to play intelligently, doesn't factor in until another human being is involved.

EIDT: Holy **** I didn't know this was a 2002 thread. Well, at least I didn't bump it first!

person701

Smash Journeyman
O.O Wow this is an old thread... If I'm the one who bumped it then sorry guys. Anywho, what I ment was that it assist in getting the feel of how your character moves. i.e. pratciing their frames more.

Edit: *claps* Bravo Pink Reaper

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
It's pointless to fight cpus...They do the same stupid stuff over and over

All they do is A,A,A you to death and grab you and on some occasions CF grabs me and does a Side-B and falls off the edge :laugh:

Top Bottom