• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who should I secondary to deal w/ swordies

Mizuo84

Smash Rookie
I main/co-main Wario & Yoshi. Obviously they both struggle against swordies. Currently I’m considering Ike, Wolf, Bowser, King K Rool...
Not sure who I should have as a secondary to deal with swordies. Any tips are appreciated

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Bowser and K. Rool get juggled to hell by Roy and Chrom so I probably wouldn't recommend those two. Pure swordies don't have much answer to zoners, so Wolf isn't the worst option. Inkling is also not an impossible matchup if you still consider yourself viable with her.

More dedicated zoners are characters like the Links or Mii Gunner. Cloud is nice because he has a decent projectile as well as his own huge sword disjointment.

Mizuo84

Smash Rookie
Bowser and K. Rool get juggled to hell by Roy and Chrom so I probably wouldn't recommend those two. Pure swordies don't have much answer to zoners, so Wolf isn't the worst option. Inkling is also not an impossible matchup if you still consider yourself viable with her.

More dedicated zoners are characters like the Links or Mii Gunner. Cloud is nice because he has a decent projectile as well as his own huge sword disjointment.
Funny you mention inkling because I used to main her but didn’t consider her as an option here!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd recommend small speedy characters like Pikachu or Inkling.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
As others have said zoners cause can't counter you from half the stage away. I have good luck with wolf id imagine belmonts wall of projectiles would annoy a swordie

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Wolf feels like the good 'catch all' character. While he may not have sword range on his attacks, he pretty much DOES. His slash effect attacks reach far and hit hard. His frame data is absurdly good and his pressure puts even swordies on edge (No pun intended). His laser is great for poke damage (Good range and really solid damage) and acts as a set up tool (Forcing blocks or jumps) for big damage punishes or mix ups. He can also 2 frame their recoveries with a well placed down smash.

He's just a good all rounder who can handle most any character in the roster with plenty of combo and finisher capabilities.

As others have said, Inklings could be solid as well thanks to their low profile and equally deceptive hit boxes. Dash dancing puts them so low to the ground they can be difficult to hit or grab and they can rack up damage pretty quick. Their largest fault is KO options which require hard reads or a lucky/well timed roller bury. Wolf doesn't have to rely on that gimmick and has far better ways to seal stocks.

Mizuo84

Smash Rookie
Wolf feels like the good 'catch all' character. While he may not have sword range on his attacks, he pretty much DOES. His slash effect attacks reach far and hit hard. His frame data is absurdly good and his pressure puts even swordies on edge (No pun intended). His laser is great for poke damage (Good range and really solid damage) and acts as a set up tool (Forcing blocks or jumps) for big damage punishes or mix ups. He can also 2 frame their recoveries with a well placed down smash.

He's just a good all rounder who can handle most any character in the roster with plenty of combo and finisher capabilities.

As others have said, Inklings could be solid as well thanks to their low profile and equally deceptive hit boxes. Dash dancing puts them so low to the ground they can be difficult to hit or grab and they can rack up damage pretty quick. Their largest fault is KO options which require hard reads or a lucky/well timed roller bury. Wolf doesn't have to rely on that gimmick and has far better ways to seal stocks.
This is gonna sound dumb but I’m hesitant to pick up wolf seriously because I can’t land back air

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
This is gonna sound dumb but I’m hesitant to pick up wolf seriously because I can’t land back air
I struggle landing bair with the Spacies as well, cept maybe Falco due to his floatiness compared to Fox and Wolf, but practice will make perfect. Even without Bair, Wolf's options to seal stocks are incredible.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
I struggle landing bair with the Spacies as well, cept maybe Falco due to his floatiness compared to Fox and Wolf, but practice will make perfect. Even without Bair, Wolf's options to seal stocks are incredible.
I agree the bair is good but does require the most practice to get it down. That being said the rest of the kit is very good and probably the best counter to swordie.

Top Bottom