• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

fdsgdsg

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
If you like Kirby and think Fox is tough my #1 suggestion would be Puff. The honest answer is try them all out see what you have the most fun with. But perhaps any of the floaty characters would fit your style, i.e. puff, peach, samus. (Also, maybe Sheik, people always say Sheik).

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
I say main Fox I was a new to Fox he has the highest tech skill ceiling. But with practice you will enjoy playing fox and I love shine spikes!

Movement with Fox is hard but with time and practice you will get there!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 396530

You can Main NESS. Ness Is Tier f But You can use Too!

TOVL

Smash Cadet
Main whoever feels good.
Most characters are viable at an arcadian, and even vs the players that are good no character could make you win; you're going to lose anyway. So really if you're not playing anyone below G&W you have just as much winning potential as an equal skill Fox. And picking a character just because they're good is a good way to lose interest in the game; play for the fun not the W (unless you find the W fun but still get the W on your terms)

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff, shouldn't even be a question at this point

Jiggs has the highest skill cap of any character in the game, although the learning curve is admittedly steep. That's why HBOX ("The Kid") is the only top puff.

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff, shouldn't even be a question at this point

Jiggs has the highest skill cap of any character in the game, although the learning curve is admittedly steep. That's why HBOX ("The Kid") is the only top puff.
you're not even a particularly good forum troll tbh, i wish there was just a TOUCH more effort

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
cause being autistic on a dead forum for a decade and a half is supposed to make me respect your opinion
Sounds like you're mad that you'll never be as good at Ness as HBOX ("THE KID") THE GOAT

D

Deleted member

If you like Kirby, i would stick with kirby. I've played some pretty decent Kirby's in the past. Just dont give up, and Persevere. Research all there is to know about kirby, His weak spots and strong spots. Also, on youtube, type in 'Kirby Tech Melee' there are all kinds of tutorials on getting better. Of course, its all up to you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Adorable_Silly_Seiji

Smash Cadet
If you like Kirby, i would stick with kirby. I've played some pretty decent Kirby's in the past. Just dont give up, and Persevere. Research all there is to know about kirby, His weak spots and strong spots. Also, on youtube, type in 'Kirby Tech Melee' there are all kinds of tutorials on getting better. Of course, its all up to you :)
id say im good with kirby but he holds me back

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
Sounds like you're mad that you'll never be as good at Ness as HBOX ("THE KID") THE GOAT
man this is some weak ****

honestly why are you even bothering to bait on an old board shouldn't you be getting ebin upboats on reddit

or are you just a schizo or something

D

Deleted member

I mean I play good Kirby but he's an awful character so i prefer playing a top tier to not hold my skill back
I mean. yes, Kirby is considered low tier, but often low tier characters are underestimated. But hey, whatever suits you :)

nickultra

Smash Cadet
No. Don't play Kirby unless you want to try really hard with a character to just continuously lose to your friends who play characters who are simply objectively better.

Considering you're new to the competitive game and don't yet have the tech skill to play Fox successfully, you have two options.
Option #1-
Practice tech skill and movement constantly with either Fox or Falco in order to get a feel for their technical style of gameplay. (If you want to be actually good at melee you will usually need to do this)
This will, however, stunt how much fun you will have starting out your completive melee experience, because tech skill is very very hard and trying to implement it in your gameplay will be tideous at first.

Option #2-
Start on a fundamentals character like Sheik of Falcon. Those two will allow you to develop tech skill that will be applicable to every character, while still having a shot at winning against your friends when you first begin.

I would stay away from Peach, Puff, and Samus as a new player because their play styles and technical skills don't translate well to other characters. (HBox holds his controller in a bizzare manner for puff, using Z for aerials if I'm not mistaken)
Marth is a less severe case of this, but he is a much more understandable choice.

Stay away from Gannon because the skills you learn with Falcon can be easily transferred but Gannon skills aren't quite as useful. Stay away from ICs because no one will like you, you will lose all your friends, and its a scumbag move. There strategy is too focused on your opponent messing up then you actually succeeding.

Personally I would go Falcon because he emulates the fast paced playstyle of spacies and he will get you good at L-cancel timings. Also loads of fun.

Sheik players might run into the problem where they don't actually develop good L-cancel timing or fast paced hand comfort.

Finally, understand that melee is not balanced so the majority of the cast is unviable. Only actual good players can attempt to utilize unviable characters because they have very very good fundamentals and tech skill.

PS. I main Falco and I started on Falcon, that's my bias. And of course these opinions only apply if your purpose is to compete and have fun. Playing Kirby might not be fun competitively when you simply can't stop getting your ass kicked, whereas playing Fox right off the bat might make you hate the game.

Last edited:

Fox McCLOUT

Smash Rookie
I main Fox and he isn't the easiest character to master. I would say that if you can become used to the movement and speed of Fox or Falcon, you should be well off with the other quick characters more or less movement-wise. However, Fox can also be somewhat difficult since he's one of the few fastfallers in the entire cast. But like everyone else has said, improve your tech skill, etc etc. I wouldn't be too worried with the advanced movement techniques like wavedashing for now. Also if you master tech skill and can play Fox well, I would say practice obvious Fox combos.

Adorable_Silly_Seiji

Smash Cadet
No. Don't play Kirby unless you want to try really hard with a character to just continuously lose to your friends who play characters who are simply objectively better.

Considering you're new to the competitive game and don't yet have the tech skill to play Fox successfully, you have two options.
Option #1-
Practice tech skill and movement constantly with either Fox or Falco in order to get a feel for their technical style of gameplay. (If you want to be actually good at melee you will usually need to do this)
This will, however, stunt how much fun you will have starting out your completive melee experience, because tech skill is very very hard and trying to implement it in your gameplay will be tideous at first.

Option #2-
Start on a fundamentals character like Sheik of Falcon. Those two will allow you to develop tech skill that will be applicable to every character, while still having a shot at winning against your friends when you first begin.

I would stay away from Peach, Puff, and Samus as a new player because their play styles and technical skills don't translate well to other characters. (HBox holds his controller in a bizzare manner for puff, using Z for aerials if I'm not mistaken)
Marth is a less severe case of this, but he is a much more understandable choice.

Stay away from Gannon because the skills you learn with Falcon can be easily transferred but Gannon skills aren't quite as useful. Stay away from ICs because no one will like you, you will lose all your friends, and its a scumbag move. There strategy is too focused on your opponent messing up then you actually succeeding.

Personally I would go Falcon because he emulates the fast paced playstyle of spacies and he will get you good at L-cancel timings. Also loads of fun.

Sheik players might run into the problem where they don't actually develop good L-cancel timing or fast paced hand comfort.

Finally, understand that melee is not balanced so the majority of the cast is unviable. Only actual good players can attempt to utilize unviable characters because they have very very good fundamentals and tech skill.

PS. I main Falco and I started on Falcon, that's my bias. And of course these opinions only apply if your purpose is to compete and have fun. Playing Kirby might not be fun competitively when you simply can't stop getting your *** kicked, whereas playing Fox right off the bat might make you hate the game.
check post number #8

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Mario is the easiest top ten to learn. Bayonetta and Cloud are also pretty easy. Most of the others have a high learning curve though if you want a character that beats most other characters (especially DLC) and is not in top ten Pikachu and Meta Knight are also great characters.

Last edited:

Chiliastic

Smash Rookie
I'd say main whoever you play as most, like, if you play as Fox the most, then you can main Fox. Your main is usually the character you play as the most, and the character you plan on playing as more in the future.

I main Fox a lot (except in Brawl), but hey, try some fighters, if you like one you can main one.

GatGoat

Smash Cadet
I'd say main whoever you play as most, like, if you play as Fox the most, then you can main Fox. Your main is usually the character you play as the most, and the character you plan on playing as more in the future.

I main Fox a lot (except in Brawl), but hey, try some fighters, if you like one you can main one.
idk how that answered anything lol

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
man this is some weak ****

honestly why are you even bothering to bait on an old board shouldn't you be getting ebin upboats on reddit

or are you just a schizo or something
so mad LUL

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
You should try by the most simple to understand characters, try with Mario / Luigi / Puff / Kirby and then try with the other characters to see which one does fit your style.
Also as someone mentioned above: The Bird is the word.

Top Bottom