• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your secondary and why?

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
I'm a pretty diehard fan of Shulk, but I'm feeling like I should pick up another character in case I feel like I'm getting hard countered. Who else do you Monado boys like to play?

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
I've picked up Mario to see if he's a good counter because of his combo game, but I've been jumping around.

Zacko

Smash Cadet
:4littlemac:
Mainly because I enjoy playing him, and because I'm a fan of punch-out, but I also like how he plays differently from Shulk.
After doing a lot of SH FF Nairs and offstage attacks, I like to switch to Mac and stay on the ground.

I also seem to like characters with counters as I mainly play :4shulk::4littlemac::4myfriends::4greninja:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
I like to play with Ike and Link for my seconds. Ike is a less-wiff, strong range-melee fighting with absurd rage scaling in higher %, with average recovering tools. Link has some nice ranged tools and decent Knock-back for those happy spammers like Samus and Duck Hunt.

<Pride>

Smash Rookie
NNID
WildSkitty
I like playing Pikachu against fast characters, which I often have troubles with when I play Shulk.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
I'm feeling :4robinm:and:4olimar:along with my :4shulk:- in case I want to play a more projectile-heavy game, with Pikmin or fireballs alike. (:4shulk:is actually my go-to against faster characters, I have a strong anti-:4falcon:game especially, although my anti-:4littlemac:needs some work, and :4zss:is kind of 50-50)

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I actually hop around characters so much that Shulk is the only one that I consistently used as a main/secondary, though I do have a few concrete secondaries that I've been practicing.

:4robinf: The secondary I need to practice the most with but I feel I can still get some decent results with her zoning game. I've yet to actually use Robin against a human opponent so my opinion of her might change in the future.

:4marth: The only character in Smash 4 I nearly considered maining over Shulk but stays as a complimentary. I use him when I believe I can take advantage of spacing better than my opponent in the MU.

:4megaman: The character which helped me explore Smash more than just smashes, dash attacks, and grabs. Only reason why I still have him here and not have Robin replace him completely is because I actually got results with him against human opponents.

:4mario: My old main on all other Smash games. I only use him casually, mainly to keep my old Smash spirit intact.

:4pikachu: I actually just went and practiced him today. He definitely has a lot of options and I think I finally found my answer to fast characters vs Shulk.

:4littlemac: Finally my sole pocket character. I play him from time to time in order to remind myself that I still have ground options to take advantage of, as all the other characters I play I tend to go airborne a lot.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Actually, just adding, I'm really digging Ganondorf. He is so much fun to play with.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Shulk is my secondary.

I main :4fox: because his combination of fast movement and minimal-lag attacks (for the most part) give him lots of movement and approach options. I am a big fan of characters who have lots of options available to them, since this lets me adapt to several situations.

I second :4shulk: for the same reasons about versatility. The Neutral Special really helps him out, those Monado effects let him switch from offensive to defensive playstyles in a jiffy. I also like Shulk because his range is seriously good (except for his jabs and grab).

I say Shulk is my secondary because I do much better with Fox myself. Despite that, I find Shulk to be a good secondary against some problematic matchups for me as Fox. The matchups right now that I find going Shulk are R.O.B. and Little Mac (I'm not implying these are good matchups for Shulk, just saying that I find them easier with him than going Fox). I find that Shulk's range, different weight and falling speed help me out with those.

I'll keep experimenting with Shulk on other matchups for sure though, he's a very fun character and I think he has a lot of potential (not as a tourney winner, imo, but as a counterpick he's good).

I also play a little bit of Sheik (Brawl main), Peach (melee main) and Mario (N64 main). I'm thinking about learning them seriously later on, but right now Fox and Shulk are definitely my best

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I would like to secondary Jigglypuff, but I feel like that would be counterproductive as I'm switching out a long-ranged melee character for a short-ranged melee character, plus I suck at playing Jigglypuff.

Thinking of switching secondaries to a projectile user, hopefully one that can reflect projectiles. Ness, Falco, and ROB seem like likely candidates, although not sure which one I'm gonna go for.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Shulk is my secondary.
Exactly this. I do use him a lot more than my main nowadays though. He's extremely fun to play and I seldom feel like I'm struggling with a match-up more than the opposing player, as compared to when I'm using my main.

I play Little Mac and Lucario pretty decently I'd say, everyone else I know significantly less about and use less often. I like grabbing people with Megaman and just standing there for a second before throwing. Just thought I should mention that, it always cracks me up.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I would like to secondary Jigglypuff, but I feel like that would be counterproductive as I'm switching out a long-ranged melee character for a short-ranged melee character, plus I suck at playing Jigglypuff.
Actually, Jiggs has a pretty tricky hitboxes. I wouldn't count her out in range, specially that super scary B-air. Thing with Jiggs that matters the most is to stay on the air, think her air speed around the speed Speed monado short-hop

Last edited:

The_Goofyborn

Smash Cadet
NNID
The_Goofyborn
Marth is probably the closest thing that could be considered a secondary to Shulk, but I kind of consider every character I play a main, so I'll say Robin.

I second :4luigi: because he's really good at racking up damage fast off from anything. Especially d-throw. Also, up B is beast. Well, Luigi's a beast. His fire balls are surprisingly waaay better than I initially thought

I'm currently trying to pick up :4sonic:. Fun character. I like his playstyle despite it being annoying to play against at the same time

I still have my :4robinf: but she's really not good. I'm still trying to get around her bad mobility but her moveset is incredibly solid

Other characters that I'm okay/not bad/kinda bad with are :4marth:/:4lucina:, :4bowser:, :4falco:, aaaaand *whelp* :4diddy: (But I never EVER use Diddy)

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
:4olimar: Is probably the only other character I'd opt to use in tournament barring Shulk and he is definitely my true secondary. While I didn't play too much Brawl Olimar he's one of my characters in PM and his low tech high maintenance play style was something that really appealed to me and the same applies in Smash 4. Olimar is surprisingly similar to Shulk. They're both zoning characters with a focus on a high management mechanic that the player needs to learn the ins and outs of to optimise them. Shulk is the more technical and engaging character overall IMO so he's always gonna be my main but Olimar is fun too and good for covering certain match ups like Diddy and Sonic.

I also have been using :4littlemac: since day one though I'm not confident enough in my ability to perform with him nor in the character's overall effectiveness to ever play him in tournament. I do enjoy playing him a lot.

Last edited:

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
:4link:'s been my main/secondary in all the other Smash games, so I guess it's kind of tradition that he's another in this game lol. I've also been learning :4pikachu:to help deal with Shulk's more worse matchups. It's been coming around nicely, though I need to incorporate Quick Attack more into my playstyle. I have no idea how Esam uses it so effectively without SDing so often lol, but I want to keep practicing with him.

Other than that, I've been using :4greninja:, :4myfriends: , :4robinm:and :4kirby: for funsies.

Penguin4478

Smash Cadet
I very much like :4pacman:. His bonus fruit is really fun to use and he can do some pretty neat stuff with fire hydrants as well as grounded recoveries.

I also really like :4villager:. He has a fairly unique kit that really appeals to me. :4megaman: is another one I play frequently for fun.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I have alot of other characters i play as, but if i have to go with a legit. secondary period, it'd be Bowser. His power's insane, and he's basically the only heavy i'm good at (plus i like his character).

Aside from him, if i just go with characters i use that im proficient with, those would be:

:4fox:

:4bowser:

:4marth: / :4lucina: (i prefer Marth due to that im good at spacing and getting the tip/earlier KOs relatively easy, but given that im skilled with him, i'm automatically good with Lucina too and use her from time to time. I just change up my approach and act a bit more aggressive/punish heavy with her)

:4pit:

:4myfriends:

:4zss:

:4lucario:

:4ness: (dont use him as often as i used to, i personally find him kind of OP nowadays, lol)

Also im decent with :4robinm: but i wouldnt say that he's a secondary of mine. Not yet anyway. Same goes for :4falco: I want to be good with him, but IDK how to get better yet, i'm ok with him right now, but i could be alot better.

EDIT: Am sad Ike's icon is no longer :4friend:.

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
:4ganondorf:
If I'm not playing Shulk, I'm playing Ganondorf. I'm a fan of a lot of his moves, including Uair, Nair, Side B, and FSmash. Getting a kill with Ganondorf is also extremely satisfying, since his attacks just launches foes.

I'm also trying to pick up :4sonic:, but he is a little boring to play as IMO.

I also plan on picking up
when he comes out.

Zephil

Smash Ace
fixed.

After Shulk my secondaries in order are': :4megaman:, :4myfriends:, and :4pikachu:.

:4megaman: & :4pikachu: cover very well :4shulk:'s bad MUs

:4myfriends: is just because I have a huge obsession with FE.

Xenoblade may be my favorite RPG of all times but FE its my favorite franchise in general.

D

Deleted member

I have two mains, one of course being Shulk and the other is Luigi. I have mained Luigi since I first started playing Smash and that won't be changing any time soon. Similar to Shulk, I main Luigi because he is one of my favorite video game characters (Luigi is actually my favorite). I dunno if Luigi complements Shulk, but Luigi has a crazy combo ability with his down throw and aerials and has nice finishers.

I suck with my secondaries and I dunno if they complement Shulk or Luigi. My secondaries being Robin, Kirby, Mega Man, Bowser Jr., and Lucina.
I should get better with them to be honest... I think it's better if I took the time to learn them more.

Sonny Franceschi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonnyFranceschi
3DS FC
2879-0394-3794
i have zss in the back for characters like rosalina or sonic because it's kinda hard for shulk deal this matchups but it's not imposible.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I use DK (co-main), Wario, Olimar, Ike, Lucina, Diddy, DHD, Mario, Robin, Ganon, Falcon, Ness, Falco, Pikachu, MK, Zard, Palutena and Megaman., because I need to find a way to enjoy this game, lol.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
If I'm not Yoshi in Smash 4, finding a secondary in Smash 4 is kind of hard. I'm trying Greninja, but he's hard to approach with. Jigglypuff's not nice air game, but lacks more range, as you need to approach with her. Pikachu and Peach are both good. Inspiration from online player schmerpin and hearing the belief from my non-competitive friends that Peach sucks gave me the devotion to use Peach and I know her a little bit. Pikachu's moves are just good, especially his F-air.

So I think my best secondary is Jigglypuff despite her flaws. Consistent rests, a back-air that's good, and still a nice overall air game.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Shulk is my secondary to my main, Ike, largely because of their similarities.

- Both wield large, two-handed swords.
- Both have a neutral ground attack consisting of a punch, kick, and slash.
- Both have a neutral aerial attack that involves swinging their blades in a wide arc.
- Both have a counter.
- And a few other shared traits yet to be mentioned.

Sometimes I think Shulk's moveset may be partly inspired by Ike's. ^-^

Last edited:

CannonGanon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1498-3334
I'm a pretty diehard fan of Shulk, but I'm feeling like I should pick up another character in case I feel like I'm getting hard countered. Who else do you Monado boys like to play?
as for M0NAHD0 arts,
Sp33d, then Buster.

As for characters, Ganon because he seems to have a lot of power... specifically in his hand, Shulk because I was just feeling it, and Donkey Kong because his playstyle expands my dong.
I'll see myself out

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Buster Shulk is my main, and Speed Shulk is my secondary. Wait no, lol, Zanza's my secondary (I created a new name called that and change my color to white when I select it).

Jokes aside, I don't have a truly strong secondary. I used to do Villager on the side, but I've abandoned him as I'm generally worse with him and don't find his playstyle natural. He just feels lopsided, if that makes any sense. If I were to pick anyone new up, I'd probably start at Link since he was my Brawl main. After, I'd probably give Mario a shot. I could maybe go to Sheik, as the character seems easy to me. Lastly, Ness could fit me.

But for now, if I go in a tourny, it's Shulk time all the way through. No doubt.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I secondary Palutena because I suck at pretty much any other Villager MU. It's the only character I feel comfy wrecking the cute guy with.

As far as the sig goes, I get projectile characters to cover the more long range MUs, but I also have a speedy character to counter mid range players.

CuppaBro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4399-1229-6405
I alternate between Megaman and Dr. Mario.
For when an opponent's playstyle ends up being too defensive/safe for my tastes to take on as Shulk, Rock is my main man for taking them down a peg.
As for Dr. Mario, same as Megaman but with a focus on countering projectile spam on top of strong roll punishes.

Last edited:

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
I kinda don't have a specific secondary; but I've been enjoying Ness, Lucina, Captain Falcon, Fox, and Toon Link (old brawl main) aside from our favorite Monado boy himself.

Super Smash Fanatic

Smash Cadet
NNID
jacg31
3DS FC
0705-3237-7336
:4ness: Because he covers most of the characters that shulk can't and is a little more combo heavy compared to shulk

Top Bottom